Editor for Cricket Captain 2020 (Release)

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
With the new update does that make the editor unusable?

It does as far as I know. And it looks like the original creator isn't active much at the moment.

No wonder cricket is declining in popularity in general, we drive away new fans or interested people with our snobbish attitude or copyright strikes against any forms of reaction videos or gaming videos, licenses are too expensively priced for anyone to consider buying to make a profitable video game, the sport gets locked behind paywalls in most countries and we treat newer communities getting into the game with distrust and downright racism sometimes. And when someone makes a simple, bare bones editor for a largely single player game that has remained nearly the same in a decade just because people like playing in more than one way? We hound him or anyone wanting to play with said tool with accusations of aiding cheaters, wanting to do it himself and feel proud about protecting the sanctity of a franchise that is pulling wool over it's buyers for years. It is an absolute joke.

One of the lead developers was a regular here too, I remember him. Not a coincidence that with the game becoming more stale, he simply does not bother to interact here given that a loyal bunch of people will always buy it over at the official forums. I even remember some posters there who were pushing for more features and were regulars with tips on how to play too. I don't see any of them interacting there nowadays, some have simply moved on because they know this will continue remaining the same old joke it has been in recent years. I just wish Cricket Coach gets released next year so that we at least have a game that even if it isn't amazing, has more features than an annual franchise's release and has one very passionate bloke behind it.

Bevab

Staff Member
Yea but what about non existent online user base? No one plays online why do they even care? I coudn't find a game in IC2k18 after 2 weeks of purchase. Pretty sure similar case is with ICC 2k20 as well.

From the likes of the 'online discussion' threads over there, it does seem like there are a few regulars. I really don't get how hard it would be to have a ban option for any known cheaters so that you don't end up facing them assuming it isn't already there.

CRP1990

School Cricketer
Fair enough, doesn't seem to load with my game now it's been updated to the 20.12 version.

chelseafan

School Cricketer
This is the release thread for the Cricket Captain 2020 Editor. This Editor is also fully integrated into the Cricket Captain 2020 Scout.

Please use this thread to download the latest version of the Editor and to report any issues.

WARNING! This is the first editor release for CC 2020. I haven't had any issues, but please back up your savegame if you don't want to risk corrupting it.

Screenshots:

View attachment 234172 View attachment 234173 View attachment 234174

Quick Tips:
  1. Run Cricket Captain 2020.09 and load an Easy difficulty career mode game, or a Tournament game.
  2. Run the editor.
  3. Only "Load" or "Apply" the Player Editor while viewing that player in-game.
  4. Only "Add Coach + Physio" while viewing the Coaching screen in-game.
  5. It should be safe to "Load Budget", "Save Budget" and set "100% Squad Fitness" from just about any screen in the game.
  6. If you change a player's role (batsman, bowler, all-rounder, keeper, opener, etc.) then always exit their profile in-game, then exit the next screen (so the correct team order is regenerated) before editing any other player.
  7. I haven't had any issues, but there is always a chance the editor could corrupt your savegame. Back it up if you don't want to risk losing it.
Please check the following FAQ before asking a question. I will update the FAQ with any new questions.

FAQ (PLEASE READ)
:
  • Q: Can I use this editor to cheat online?
  • A: No. The editor is not compatible with any game modes eligible for online play. If you try to use the editor in Normal difficulty career mode, then it will crash. It will definitely not work correctly and could corrupt your game. Also, this is a very simple memory editor, so if it did work in multiplayer then it would be easily detected by Steam and your account would be banned.
  • Q: Can I edit player ability?
  • A: Yes. You can offset by a specified +/- percentage, or randomize player ability (within specified limits). However, you cannot view ability or potential ability. (This limitation is requested by the game's developers).
  • Q: Does the editor run on Mac, Linux or mobile devices?
  • A: No. I have tested it in Windows 7 and 10. If there is high demand, then I could look into porting to other platforms.
  • Q: Where is the download link?
  • A: Click on a version name in the table below.
  • Q: How did you write this editor?
  • A: The original version was written (in C#) by Fe98 more than a decade ago, based on a huge community effort to reverse-engineer earlier versions of the game. They deserve most of the credit. I have just updated and added features.
  • Q: Is the editor finished?
  • A: No. There are a lot of features that I am still working on. Please feel free to suggest anything else you would like to see in the editor.
Downloads:

Version | Date | Description
2020.07-01 | 06/07/2020 | First public release. 2020.07-02 | 06/07/2020 | Fixed unknown contracts. Thanks @ahmedleo414. 2020.08-01 | 08/07/2020 | Update for patch 20.08. 2020.08-02 | 12/07/2020 | Added ability/potential offset %. 2020.08-03 | 18/07/2020 | Integrated Selection Editor. 2020.08-04 | 18/07/2020 | Added support for demo. 2020.09-01 | 19/07/2020 | Update for patch 20.09. Integrated Squad Editor. 2020.10-01 | 06/08/2020 | Update for patch 20.10. Added several missing nationalities. 2020.10-02 | 10/08/2020 | Fixed Squad Editor. Added player appearance. 2020.11-01|20/08/2020|Update for patch 20.11.

Can someone please help me with how to download the editor? Everytime i click on the links for download it mentioned "could not found attachment"

Bevab

Staff Member
Can someone please help me with how to download the editor? Everytime i click on the links for download it mentioned "could not found attachment"

It has been removed by the creator after complaints of it being used nefariously in online matches. Wouldn't work with the latest patch in any case unless it is updated.

chelseafan

School Cricketer
It has been removed by the creator after complaints of it being used nefariously in online matches. Wouldn't work with the latest patch in any case unless it is updated.
Can anyone please share a link where i can download it? I only want to play on my PC and not online anyways, I literally bhought the game yesterday so that i could play with the editor.

WOuld really apprecaite it if someone can send me a direct link.

Last edited:

Fryzigg

Club Captain
Since it's possible to downgrade your steam version of the game (go to a previous patch) could you make the editor available but only for non-current patches which would prevent online use at least?

weetabixharry

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Since it's possible to downgrade your steam version of the game (go to a previous patch) could you make the editor available but only for non-current patches which would prevent online use at least?

This is a good idea, which I considered in the past. However, if I'm not mistaken, the problem is that savegames from older game patches can be loaded with the latest version (and then used online).

Therefore, in order to cheat, someone could downgrade -> edit -> save -> upgrade -> load.

I was never able to think of a way of getting around this. Let me know if there's something I missed, as I would like to find a solution to this.

muzzys

School Cricketer
can the editor be updated please as it wont work with the current version 20.12 update.

Prashanth S Kharche

Club Captain
@weetabixharry you are right, that's entirely possible. Having said that, it would be good to know how many customers of the game actually play online? If it's less than 10%, then I don't think the rest should suffer due to lack of a basic editor.

Bevab

Staff Member
@weetabixharry you are right, that's entirely possible. Having said that, it would be good to know how many customers of the game actually play online? If it's less than 10%, then I don't think the rest should suffer due to lack of a basic editor.

10% might be doing it a generous favour, I'm pretty sure it is even less than that. On Steam database it says that the all-time peak was 182 players playing around three months ago and it looks like currently around 100 play it every day. Are at least 10 players constantly playing online without the use of editing (there was a poster who said that they ran a private league with buffed players)? Given how niche the game is, I don't think so.

I also don't think it is possible to prevent cheating in any game unless you invest very heavily into that aspect of the game constantly (look at Player Unknown Battlegrounds, a massive game that is rife with complaints of hackers). The cat is already out of the bag, the creator of the current editor did say somewhere that it is not that difficult to make a basic editor for the game, the issue is making it functional with features due to the nature of the coding in this game. A much, much easier thing to do would be to have a simple ban option that prevents you from matching up with someone you think has cheated if that functionality isn't already present. There are only 100 players playing everyday with the majority not really preferring online play, just how many cheaters could even possibly exist among that in the first place? :lol @TemPSaad is right, it is just a few people on the forums who complain about this and these are the same people who are heavily opposed to any form of editing into the game as if it spoils the 'integrity' of the game in the first place.

@Fryzigg is it possible to do that? I believed that it was possible only if the developer allowed you to do so. Paradox games for example always allow you to go back to the previous major patch release to finish your long-term save files and Age of Empires 2 usually gives away a private branch of the older patch to participants and casters to ensure that any current tournament is not affected midway by any changes to the game. I don't see a functionality like that at the moment for this game which is why I've forced the game to not update at the moment until any editor is out (lost interest in playing it at the moment though, it is tough to play a game when the developers and loyalists are anti-consumer to this extent).

Prashanth S Kharche

Club Captain
10% might be doing it a generous favour, I'm pretty sure it is even less than that. On Steam database it says that the all-time peak was 182 players playing around three months ago and it looks like currently around 100 play it every day. Are at least 10 players constantly playing online without the use of editing (there was a poster who said that they ran a private league with buffed players)? Given how niche the game is, I don't think so.

I also don't think it is possible to prevent cheating in any game unless you invest very heavily into that aspect of the game constantly (look at Player Unknown Battlegrounds, a massive game that is rife with complaints of hackers). The cat is already out of the bag, the creator of the current editor did say somewhere that it is not that difficult to make a basic editor for the game, the issue is making it functional with features due to the nature of the coding in this game. A much, much easier thing to do would be to have a simple ban option that prevents you from matching up with someone you think has cheated if that functionality isn't already present. There are only 100 players playing everyday with the majority not really preferring online play, just how many cheaters could even possibly exist among that in the first place? :lol @TemPSaad is right, it is just a few people on the forums who complain about this and these are the same people who are heavily opposed to any form of editing into the game as if it spoils the 'integrity' of the game in the first place.

@Fryzigg is it possible to do that? I believed that it was possible only if the developer allowed you to do so. Paradox games for example always allow you to go back to the previous major patch release to finish your long-term save files and Age of Empires 2 usually gives away a private branch of the older patch to participants and casters to ensure that any current tournament is not affected midway by any changes to the game. I don't see a functionality like that at the moment for this game which is why I've forced the game to not update at the moment until any editor is out (lost interest in playing it at the moment though, it is tough to play a game when the developers and loyalists are anti-consumer to this extent).

Very aptly explained. My problem is that the developer's think that most users are morons who'd like to see Bradmanseque or Lakerlike records for players. They don't grasp that their constant ignoring of skills of players has made the game unplayable at many levels.

I can't imagine a Jason Roy batting at 5 in a limited overs match below Morgan. I can't imagine a Pujara batting at 6 in a Test match. I can never ever agree an Anderson bowling second change in a Test! These inherent fallacies can be easily addressed in the player attributes that they refuse to share.

Its a case of fear of losing their customers but they fail to realise that a huge proportion of users are actually loyal to the franchise. I'm afraid many will stop purchasing this game if something even close to it (in terms of features) is released.

It's great to exercise your superiority when you have a monopoly, but as my grandad used to say "something better is always round the corner"!

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Would it be possible to update the editor but co.pletely remove the ability to alter batting or bowling ability?

I only use it to change regen date of births and batting/bowling hand so that they resemble real academy players.

CRP1990

School Cricketer
How do you roll back the version then to 20.11? I've never played the game online but I only downloaded the game after the editor was available.

Users who are viewing this thread