England tour of Sri Lanka 2021

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Hadn't realised there wasn't a thread for this series yet. Probably explains why I started talking about it in the England-India thread though

So without further ado, can we please have a moment to appreciate how cock-eyed the selection is for this series?
:tick: One match after Zak Crawley establishes himself and makes the number three position his own, we'll make him open
:tick: Jonny Bairstow's last 10 Tests before he got dropped brought him brought him 334 runs @ 18.55 with a best of 52. Let's bring him back at number three.
:tick: On guaranteed spinning wickets where you will use at least three spinners every innings, pick the keeper who's missed 100% of his Test stumping chances.
:tick: Speaking of spinners, why is Mason Crane in Sri Lanka? Hopefully he won't get used, but still
:tick: Ben Foakes isn't the incumbent Test keeper. Still. Somehow.
:tick: Sam Curran is going to play because Bess and Leach at seven and eight would be madness. Rather than, you know, picking another batsman.
:tick: Looks like Ollie Pope is going to miss out for some reason.

Just out of players who are out there:
Likely XIMy XI
:eng: :bat: Dom Sibley1:eng: :bat: Dom Sibley
:eng: :bat: Zak Crawley2:eng: :bat: James Bracey
:eng: :bat: Jonny Bairstow3:eng: :bat: Zak Crawley
:eng: :bat: Joe Root :c:4:eng: :bat: Joe Root :c:
:eng: :bat: Dan Lawrence5:eng: :bat: Ollie Pope
:eng: :wk: Jos Buttler6:eng: :bat: Dan Lawrence
:eng: :ar: Sam Curran7:eng: :wk: Ben Foakes
:eng: :bwl: Dom Bess8:eng: :bwl: Dom Bess
:eng: :bwl: Jack Leach9:eng: :bwl: Jack Leach
:eng: :bwl: Mark Wood10:eng: :bwl: Mark Wood
:eng: :bwl: Stuart Broad11:eng: :bwl: Stuart Broad

I don't think it's very controversial to (a) pick an opener to replace an opener, (b) pick a batsman to strengthen the batting or (c) pick the best available keeper

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
One match after Zak Crawley establishes himself and makes the number three position his own, we'll make him open
It was against Pakistan, so forgive me if i hesitate to say that he’s settled. Same for Buttler, with regard to him having escaped his slump with the bat.

Are you a newbie/out of form/making a comeback/part-time bowler? If yes, Pakistan is the perfect opposition. Just ask Duanne Olivier, Paul Harris, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North, Will Somerville and so many more.

Sam Curran is going to play because Bess and Leach at seven and eight would be madness. Rather than, you know, picking another batsman.
Moeen would’ve been handy at 7, especially in Galle.
Ben Foakes isn't the incumbent Test keeper. Still. Somehow.
Inexplicably.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Ben Foakes isn't the incumbent Test keeper. Still. Somehow.
Even after being the Player Of the Series last time England came to Sri Lanka, where he saved them twice from low innings totals (I think)
Post automatically merged:

By the way, Rory Burns hasn't still recovered from his injury?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Even after being the Player Of the Series last time England came to Sri Lanka, where he saved them twice from low innings totals (I think)

By the way, Rory Burns hasn't still recovered from his injury?
Burns is on paternity leave.

Looks like a good morning for England.

Short Leg Cricket

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Bess collecting polls with 3 gifted and 1 genuine good ball whilst Leach toils away for 15 overs for 1! Don’t you just love test cricket!!

As I write this Leachy collects a run out!!

Short Leg Cricket

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
New Zealand
5 fer for Bess good on the lad! Last two wickets were superb deliveries and he’ll take the other three. Leachy was fantastic in a holding role whilst Broad did a great job at the top with some tidy stuff from Curran and Wood. Got to feel like England have got to really hammer home this advantage!

Bevab

Staff Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah Sri Lanka, a guy who is good for nothing more than being a meatshield after 30 odd tests and the bloke who collects 4 ducks in a row are good enough for your side but not the one batsman who averages close to 70 on the biggest domestic minefields in Asia.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yeah Sri Lanka, a guy who is good for nothing more than being a meatshield after 30 odd tests and the bloke who collects 4 ducks in a row are good enough for your side but not the one batsman who averages close to 70 on the biggest domestic minefields in Asia.
4 ducks in a row for a batsman - that must be some kind of record, certainly close.

Users who are viewing this thread