Indian Premier League - General Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
India can say goodbye to hosting the WT20 now! Breach in the bubble and a potential catastrophe awaits the existing league!

To an extent, this was bound to happen with the large contingents that the IPL teams carry around. Sense should have prevailed and the BCCI should have placed limits on the squad size/ release the players who haven't been a part of the playing XI until now.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
CSK's bowling coach also tests positive.

And to think people on social media believed a bio bubble here amidst the peak of the pandemic would be unbreachable.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It's going to be tough, an uphill battle for the BCCI as it tries to reign in the pandemic.

Wouldn't be surprised if more players try to quit the IPL from now on.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Somehow missed this whole SRH fiasco. Imagine RCB dropping AbD. I did mention earlier that I believed something was rotten in SRH's camp for years and wanted to elaborate on it with their lack of domestic batting talent development but they've gone and outdone me with the whole Warner saga.

@Bigby Wolf I noticed that you mentioned Warner's injury which seems to have been forgotten by everyone. He was clearly rushed back then to salvage the test series in vain and I remember Aussie fans saying back then that this could potentially cut his career short given how poorly his recovery was managed.

I don't even think Warner is a worse captain than Williamson, Warner was the best man to lead Australia post-Clarke but they chose Smith and we all know how that ended up. Warner's captaincy was the one saving SRH all these years too, people shouldn't forget that. His tactical strategies and player selections have usually been very good and I'm not blaming Tom Moody for this fiasco, I think this is something deeper than him despite his odd media statement which I believe was the result of upper management.

I remarked once that Warner leaving SRH could mean riots and seeing the backlash, this might very well have happened had it not been for a pandemic.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This was always on the cards. Zampa was right about this being a vulnerable bio bubble (he called it the most vulnerable bio bubble he has played in)

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
This was always on the cards. Zampa was right about this being a vulnerable bio bubble (he called it the most vulnerable bio bubble he has played in)
Was about to post this. IPL bio bubble can be breached easily. It's vulnerable. Till now we were hearing about players testing positive before they enter team bio bubble. But now we are seeing people within bio bubble getting infected. Now is the time to postpone the whole tournament. We are half way through and can do the remaining half after everything gets normal, atleast for playing the remainder. Ofcourse it cannot be cancelled since there is a lot of money involved in IPL.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
So 7 ground staff at Delhi's stadium, 2 KKR players and now 3 members from CSK test positive. STOP THE IPL!!! Save lives when its still in the hands. The IPL CANNNN happen next year, get into your senses tweaking BCCI. The country is in complete shambles. Leaders from top to bottom have failed and its time they are removed from their position that includes central as well as state. The way things are going in India, I do not even feel like coming to this forum. It is depressing reading, viewing videos and stories. Losing someone personal also hits a different zone.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
IPL Covid Situation is just like the PSL (VIP's inside the stadium, people not wearing masks, 1 case turning into 5 & so on)

What will BCCI do now? Ganguly was hell bent on playing the IPL at home but now even the T20 WC will be in danger! All of this could have been avoided if Ganguly/BCCI ego wasn't so big!

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
There are reports that they were very unwilling to postpone today's matche as well, and some officials had to put their foot down to make this happen

These are reports, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was indeed true given how thick skulled the organisers have been until now

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
There are reports that they were very unwilling to postpone today's matche as well, and some officials had to put their foot down to make this happen

These are reports, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was indeed true given how thick skulled the organisers have been until now
They inherit this from their senior leaders at the top. Without a complete 14 day lockdown, things will not improve in India.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
IPL Covid Situation is just like the PSL (VIP's inside the stadium, people not wearing masks, 1 case turning into 5 & so on)

The question is what will BCCI do now?

Ganguly was hell bent on playing the IPL at home but now even the T20 WC will be in danger! All of this could have been avoided if Ganguly/BCCI ego wasn't so big!

Classic case of someone not knowing the facts and blaming individuals. The IPL employs about 1200 Indians. It is bigger than the World Cup for us. I was the first one to say it should have been put in the UAE but it is not Ganguly that makes these calls alone. There is a humongous political cloud over Indian cricket now because of the money involved. There is a reason the BCCI does not decide if we play Pakistan or not but no one cares if we play them elsewhere. It's just bollywood and cricket because it generates cash. Look at how many BCCI administrators are also high ranked politicians. Hell, even the presidents have been very high level ministers. The BCCI secretary is the son of the second most powerful man in India. You might not know, but the ruling party was paying Ganguly a bomb to run for CM in Bengal and it is just his capacity here in Bengal that he refused and believe me, it was very very difficult for him to do so.

About 1200 people and god knows how many industries literally work only during the 2 months this carnival operates. There is a lot of unnecessary hysteria around the IPL but it is not a super spreader event. I have an issue with the amount of resources wasted on this circus instead of the people that need them but the decision to move this to the UAE is not down to one individual even if it is Sourav Ganguly. He answers to the secretary's pop who is only second to our PM.

Please don't compare the IPL to the PSL. The IPL bubble is extremely professionally managed. The hotels they stay in would require a fly to get tested to seep in. This is an unfortunate turn of events in a fluidic situation where the breech has happened when a player left for a scan and then contracted it. Also, the chances of contracting Covid in India right now are at an alarming 60-70% if you venture out based on the data today so you can imagine how tough life is.

The IPL and life has to happen, it just needed to happen in the UAE and if not then at a later time. As far as the WorldT20 is concerned, if it is anytime from October, I expect India to regain control of the situation by then specially if there is a lockdown which I think is not happening but some people say it's inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread