Mitchell Johnson

Eon

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pretty much but ohwell, i still cant understand why they didnt stay with Jason Krejza, just how much he turns the ball... he just needs to fix his line, but he gets turn and drift and bounce too. He can bat a bit too, he bats like 6 for tas doesnt he?

Back on topic though lol, Johnson if handled properly should be the spearhead for australia for quite a while, with him and Hilfenhaus opening. then siddle and hauritz/krezja/hopes/clark depending on who is in the team and the conditions. If johnson starts to average about 40 then i think you could drop north or hussey and play an extra seamer.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I was checking out old games on youtube and I found one with MJ playing when he was just getting into his international career.

He bowls between 10-15 seconds so it isn't that long but his action looks a lot more side on now. When did he change it?

YouTube - Australians being put to the sword

12 seconds in.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Think he's changed it fairly recently iirc, to add the Stretch Reflex techinque to his action, to help increase his pace. Certainly far more side on now, than in that video. Not 100% sure when he changed it though, but part of the reasoning to the change was certainly to include Stretch Reflex.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Think he changed it for the India tour. His speed was no where near the 150km/h mark when he first entered the scene. So I was wondering what all the hype was. I know he changed his wrist position during the SA tour and I believe he has almost got it back now.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I remember his ODI debut against India when he picked up four wickets, he was getting a lot of swing in that game. Makes sense why he's lost it though I guess.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
He didn't get a lot of swing, not more than the other bowlers were getting. And I thought he was fairly useless, he got 4 wickets just because the batsmen were throwing their bat at everything. He looked good but just seemed to bowl straight.

Eon

Club Cricketer
He can swing the ball both ways dont worry about that... you dont have to swing the ball 2 foot to be a good bowler. you only need to move it from the middle of the bat to the edge... thats it. and when you do that at 145-150km/h then you will get wickets

krisbroxton93

School Cricketer
when i watched him in south africa he looked amazing, i was dreading him coming over here, but so far something seems wrong with him, i heard something about his wife and his mother not getting along. Looked good at headingley and edgbaston, still a weak link in the aussie attack i think

gopkrish88

School Cricketer
mitcell is no lee nor mcgrath , but his team needs him to do both these jobs

Eon

Club Cricketer
lee is overrated... mitchell jonhson is only young, well not that young but he definatly isnt old... only 27. He will have atleast another 5-7 years in test cricket i reckon. And he is still learning about test cricket. he shall do fine

and i think he will end up with more test wickets then brett lee only needs another 200 lol

and if he takes an average of 4 wickets per test over the next 50 tests he will have the same amount of test wickets as brett lee.

im not biased though lol

Last edited:

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Johnson is pretty much the next generation Brett Lee.

He bowls fast, doesn't swing it much (only in good conditions) and relies on his pace too much.

He is a handy number 8 batsman who will stick around down the order.

He will probably end up with a record about the same as Lee's barring any injuries.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
If he can swing it on the flat deck of the Oval and then again back home I would class him as a guy that can swing it on most surfaces.

Eon

Club Cricketer
He used to swing the ball well when he first come in... and when he played for Qld he swung the bowl really well.. but he has picked up a fair bit of pace since then.

I just think he will do better than Lee

Dennis Lilee said that he was a once in a lifetime prospect when he was young

Gilly75

School Cricketer
Johnson had a great series in South Africa. But I was expecting a bit more from him early in the ashes series to be honest. Put a lot of pressure on Siddle and Hilfenhaus. No doubt that he was a lot better in the last couple of tests. A class bowler there is no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread