Clarke blames inaccessibility of indoor stadium for Ashes loss

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Melbourne: Australia's acting skipper Michael Clarke has blamed lack of access to the facilities at Oval for their drubbing in the fifth Test, resulting in Ashes defeat. The facilities were being used by Surrey Cricket Club for wining and dining corporate clients.

"It is a little bit disappointing that other priorities have taken place in the indoor facilities here at The Oval. I used the bowling machine in the indoor nets as part of my preparation throughout the whole Test series, I guess it's no coincidence why I didn't make any runs here," said Clarke.

Surrey Cricket Club had contracted the nets area to ticket and events agency Keith Prowse which used the space to host clients during matches.

Clarke also questioned ground preparation in England following Tuesday's abandonment of the second Twenty20 match in Manchester as 15 hours before the Lancashire's cricketers were playing a county match on the same surface.

"The ground has to be fit for the players to play. Maybe the covering system is something the counties can look at. For me, the wicket is first and foremost, the priority is to keep that dry; second are the bowlers' run-ups.

"Both ends of the run-ups the other night were just not up to scratch and that's the main reason I believe the umpires did not rule the ground fit," Clarke told Sydney Morning Herald.

Source

Work Horse

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
" I used the bowling machine in the indoor nets as part of my preparation throughout the whole Test series, I guess it's no coincidence why I didn't make any runs here," said Clarke."

Words cant describe how much I raged at that sentence.

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
I never realised that World Class players are only able to score runs after they've had an indoor net.

So many Aussies really can't lose gracefully can they?

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I never realised that World Class players are only able to score runs after they've had an indoor net.

So many Aussies really can't lose gracefully can they?
I guess most English people like to generalise entire populations on one person then? Michael Clarke is one person, no need to call us all sore losers because of him.

It's quite an overdone headline though isn't it? At no stage in the article does he blame it for losing the test or the Ashes. He made one short comment that he was disappointed he didn't get to train in the indoor nets. He blamed his own failures on that. Then he went on to say that they should've covered up the Old Trafford wicket better. It's always important to remember that 90% of journalists are looking for stories and misconstrue the facts to make it more interesting.

Last edited:

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
A chip drive to short extra cover and a run-out early on can happen to anyone. You can't blame facilities for that. Australia didn't play well in that first innings and that's where the ashes were decided.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
A chip drive to short extra cover and a run-out early on can happen to anyone. You can't blame facilities for that. Australia didn't play well in that first innings and that's where the ashes were decided.
Again, read the article. You'll find that the conclusions drawn by the journalist don't match what Clarke is saying. Don't forget his first innings too, out for 3 runs.

jordox

International Cricketer
A few people here are getting sucked in by the headline. I fail to see anywhere in that article where Clarke actually blames the lack of facilities on the loss. Terrible writing.

Users who are viewing this thread