Stadium Editor

naresh091

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
OK just so you don't go haring off and end up making stuff which won't get used, here's my basic idea.

There is a folder, in which there are further folders:
- pavillions
- single tier stands
- two tier stands
- three tier stands
- others (lights, tents, grass banks, etc.)

The program loads and looks up the contents of those folders, meaning you can add/remove meshes as you wish.

Then, you get a graphical view of the empty stadium, just showing the adboards, grass and boundary rope. Then, you simply choose meshes to add to the stadium, pick some textures (maybe, more in this later), add stadium name, end names, etc. and export for use in TAOC.

The textures may be changeable by having every stand use the same texture files, by cleverly making the UV mapping. This is something I have to think about though.

Also, don't expect rapid progress on this. As I said before, I'm busy at uni with various things at the moment. Also, this is my first foray into C++ programming and using DirectX. So there is a lot of learning for me to do.

So what you can do in the meantime, is start making some generic models which can be used. Don't worry about texturing for now, but try and make these meshes ultra low-poly.
Sounds great Tom.
Therefore,one can import his own stadium models made from scratch through the stadium editor?

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
That's the idea. Saying that stadiums can be added after the game is released is all very well and good, but who really has the time to make every stand of every stadium? This way, you can just make the "important ones" (like the media centre at Lords) and use generic stands to fill in the gaps.

Also, the collection of 'generic' stands can be increased as time goes on. I'm not entirely sure but I think Paul's engine will deal with any .3ds mesh thrown at it, so it's just a case of telling the game which files to open and where to place them, etc.

I'm not very familiar with the SDK being used at the moment, so I'll probably have to rethink some things as I go.

_Nabeel_

Club Cricketer
ok that means that you have to ask Paul about the directory of Stadium files and of which types the file would be....

AND yes LC would it have Rotate,scale and moving options or not....it would give some independence to the user and make the program more vast....

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Asking for something 3DMAX like would be a bit too much nabeel. It isn't that easy to do editable 3D stuff. But lets hope Tom can spring some surprises! :)

_Nabeel_

Club Cricketer
no-no i was not asking 3ds max,i was asking only three options from 3ds max,i.e. moving ,scaling and rotating....only...i hope this would not give trouble to LC...if we will not have these three options then we would have to make many stadiums with each stand facing every direction i.e. north -south east-west.....if we have these options then it would lessen the disk space as well as burden on SE and would help it not to lag.....

this is what i was asking....

_Nabeel_

Club Cricketer
@LC arent we are very slow for Updates???

i just want to know that how much coding have you completed or learned....

and if you have not yet started,then i may suggest that you should use 3d GameStudio...(a software for game development with Lite-C language),its easy to understand....

and for those who are thinking that i had gaveup and have been inactive,the answer is my Computer was suffering with a virus by which my 3ds max & certain other important files were automatically deleted,my saved files of dhaka stadium was also deleted.....

but now i have started working on Roofs for Stadium Editor and will complete dhaka stadium side by side

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
I am currently in the middle of doing dissertations, other uni projects, as well as some paid work so I've done nothing yet for this. Apart from had a think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread