13th Match, Group A - CSK v Victoria @ Port Elizabeth

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
After 10 overs of the Victoria innings I thought this was going to be an easy victory for Victoria.

They let the match slip away and the advantage went to Chennai when David Hussey was out.

I actually laughed when Raina as spinner was bowling the last over. I knew Victoria would reach the target by then. Well, they didn't and proved me wrong.

But I don't understand really why Chennai went again for a spinner. This time they chose a spinner who was hammered by the players who faced earlier.

It was a great match to watch. Three teams could end up with 6 points in this group.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Victoria certainly ain't making it easy for themselves in these chases. Finch could well be getting himself an IPL contract and the attention of the Aussie selectors.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Klinger and Finch should open the batting in Australia's Twenty20's.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Victoria certainly ain't making it easy for themselves in these chases. Finch could well be getting himself an IPL contract and the attention of the Aussie selectors.

He was already with the Rajasthan Royals last season, I believe.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ashwin got smashed in the game, its not as if he was on fire. It was a foolish move when you have Bollginer waiting to bowl. Its not as if he bowled well either, rank long hops and full tosses in the over.

Stupid move

The idea by Dhoni was logical. Bollinger was also spanked today and also on this pitch, giving pace on the ball to the batsman is bad because in these conditions, batsmen love pace on the ball. Also Ashwin has been a successful bowler for CSK in the IPL tournament and has got 7 wickets till now in the CLT20 this year. So the move was not illogical. But it was a gamble because he is inexperienced. Murali could have been the guy to bowl.

Chennai are lucky that they will play the last game of the group stages. They will know what to do to make it. Victoria and Chennai are fighting for that semifinal spot and Chennai are miles miles ahead of the NRR. If Victoria win their next game against Wayamba (which they should easily), Chennai will have to beat the unbeaten Warriors to upstage Victoria to the semis (if we lose, we go home). Hope today's loss to Victoria doesnt come to bite us in the back. Hope Victoria loses to Wayamba and makes things easy for CSK.:D

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
When Raina can do it, obviously Ashwin can do it as well.

Raina conceded 11 to McKay, Siddle, Nannes and McGain. Ashwin bowling to Finch and Hussey is a far different tale.

I think the decision was poor because Dhoni took the big risk too early when he didn't need to. When you bowl first in a super over you want to stay in the game as long as possible and minimise your risk and bowling a spinner is more risky than a paceman.

If you are bowling 2nd and you haven't scored well and need wickets - that's when you choose a spinner to bowl. Other than that it's too risky IMHO. I don't care who the spinner is - even the best get hit for 6s pretty regularly.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I don't know why Dhoni didn't give it to Murali, one of the games greatest ever bowlers. Ashwin is great and all but he had a bad game from the get go. Unlucky, some India team hopes might've been dashed here.

TumTum

International Cricketer
But Watson's been poor lately.

I think he is just a bit lazy in T20. Like that over against Harbhajan where he just kept blocking, could have played more aggressive shots but just decided to be a prick and not. Made up for it though with Jadeja's half trackers. But that is one thing you have to admire him on, he is a smart cookie and even if he starts slow you can always trust him to bring his SR back up. Guys like Klinger and Finch are untested in away pitches and just because they are in good form now doesn't mean they will remain in good form once they play T20I for us. Also I believe CL is a much lover standard of cricket compared to International T20, where bowlers have a much more specific plan.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
TumTum said:
Guys like Klinger and Finch are untested in away pitches and just because they are in good form now doesn't mean they will remain in good form once they play T20I for us. Also I believe CL is a much lover standard of cricket compared to International T20, where bowlers have a much more specific plan.

Couldn't agree with you more. In T20I you have to deal with 4 world class bowlers every innings. In the IPL or CL, it's usually 2 world class bowlers. Agreed, the standard of cricket is a bit better in the CL, but I feel it has to do more with pitches which offer more variety than the ones in India - when the bat and ball are contesting and the scales aren't totally lopsided in favor of one side, it makes for engaging cricket. Back to the point - CL/IPL really should not be a prime criteria for international selection. Base skill level has to come into the picture somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread