Stuart Clark rates the English

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Andrew Strauss (c)

Arguably one of the best openers in world cricket. Unfortunately for Strauss, his technique for these conditions is not compatible. He hooks up, and when playing forward his front foot goes straight down the wicket rather that to the line of the ball. He averages 43.11 in 77 Tests but only 24.70 in Australia, with a highest score of 50. Recently scored a century in Perth but will need to show ability against better opposition.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Effectiveness Rating: 5.5

James Anderson

Had a horrible '07, and was left out for the Perth and Melbourne Tests. Because he bowls with a low trajectory, he needs the ball to swing and conditions to be conducive. Might only be effective in Brisbane, and possibly Perth, unless he has learnt to adapt to Australian conditions and the Kookaburra ball. Could face another tough tour. Effectiveness Rating: 4

Poms are good … but not as good as they think

The two interesting ratings from the list, he seems to be going on past form in Australia rather than current. Interesting enough he gave Finn 6.5 compared to Morgan's 5 even though Australia are yet to face either of them at Test level, seems to be sticking by his fellow tall fast bowler. And hes rated Cook more effective than Strauss. He certainly has learnt a thing or two from McGrath in the winding the English up!

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
It's all very conditions rated, but you can get too obsessed with that.

India by rights shouldn't have been scoring as well as they did against a brett lee lead attack with their weaknesses against the bouncers. similarly when the windies toured Nash and Gayle were pretty good, it's not like they are usually brilliant players.

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Stuart Clark. Pfft. He played 24 Tests and got 94 wickets. I'd sooner hear Warne or Stephen Waugh's point of view than a part-time has-been who thinks he knows the current English cricket team. Why would we pay attention to what Stuart Clark has to say anyway?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's all very conditions rated, but you can get too obsessed with that.

India by rights shouldn't have been scoring as well as they did against a brett lee lead attack with their weaknesses against the bouncers. similarly when the windies toured Nash and Gayle were pretty good, it's not like they are usually brilliant players.
That's sort of why I think he might be underestimating Strauss, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. The hook and the drive were factors last time for Strauss, but he didn't seem to have much in the way of form and most of his shots looked like ones he could get out to. Plus, technique isn't everything; look no futher than his partner Cook; sometimes players make runs anyway.

By the feel of the weather lately, I think Anderson might actually have a decent tour. I don't think he does anything other than swing the ball, but he might just get enough swing with a lot of gloomy skies and perhaps moisture underfoot.

Users who are viewing this thread