We Must Play the Older Guys

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Johnson will come good, don't worry about that.

Yep. I think most cricket fans are a bit too pessimistic about him @ the best of times.

War added 8 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

- i was a big fan of Johnson but he hasn't done anything in the past 12-18 months to be in the test team! i thought the test team was meant to be the best 11 in he country?

Am last i checked these two performances did happen in the last 18 months my friend:

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Hamilton, Mar 27-31, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

1st Test: India v Australia at Mohali, Oct 1-5, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

2. Why did the selectors bring north in! D.Hussey is much better with the bat, ball and in the field! who agrees?

I sort of agree you know. In my private thoughts i have thinking that if North fails in the Ashes. D Hussey would be a good like-for-like replacement to bat @ # 6 instead of Ferguson or Khawaja.

Plus if you remember during the tour to SA 09. I personally had preferred D Hussey to be picked as the # 6 batsman who could bowl spin instead of North.

But i guess D Hussey is not the selectors thinking for a test birth.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
I might have to have North as an exception towards the first post, he'sjust plain crap. Guess he always was though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
D Hussey? Yuck :facepalm

To be fair though Tummy. If D Hussey was picked ahead of North in the 1st place. He probably would have been more consistent than North has been in the last 18 months.

It's either Khawaja or Ferguson, and I personally want Ferguson.

I'd probably go for Hughes to be honest & Katich down the order. Since i think the middle-order for this series needs the most solidifying & Katman's experience for me is the middle would do better than a youngster like Khawaja n Ferguson right now.

Of course after the Ashes. One of those young blokes can come in.

TumTum

International Cricketer
To be fair though Tummy. If D Hussey was picked ahead of North in the 1st place. He probably would have been more consistent than North has been in the last 18 months.

True but I guess almost anybody would have been more consistent than North. I doubt D.Huss could get those big scores like North could though. His technique is so ugly that no matter how well he plays at domestic level, international bowlers will enjoy bowling at him.

I'd probably go for Hughes to be honest & Katich down the order. Since i think the middle-order for this series needs the most solidifying & Katman's experience for me is the middle would do better than a youngster like Khawaja n Ferguson right now.

Of course after the Ashes. One of those young blokes can come in.

Yer but Katich is an opener and I can't see him moving down any time soon. Hughes has been out of form recently so that's a shame.

I have seen khawaja play a few innings and none of them have been that convincing. He's great on the pull-shot but apart from that he's got nothing going his way really. He looks very uncomfortable to balls pitched up, just hanging on the back-foot and poking the bat at them.

Ferguson looks a really good talent though. I was reading a live commentary for a recent innings he played in a shield match and they were great. So many cracking drives apparently, which is always a great sign. Looked good on the tour match too, was out to a beauty seaming away in his 1st dig and to a ball that kept very low in the 2nd. But apart from that he looked really good.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Would anyone care if we chose Brad Hodge to play? Who cares about the future and getting our young guys experience etc. We should be playing the best XI in the country no matter what age they are.

AARRONN

School Cricketer
D Hussey? Yuck :facepalm

D.Hussey should of been chosen ages ago, i agree Ferguson should be next in line. But if there looking for a part time bowler then I'd say D.Hussey has the job!

In my opinion, If Australia lose the Ashes Ponting is gone & Katich goes down to 3. Phillip Hughes at 2. D.Hussey/Ferguson comes in for North and Sidde in for an out of form Johnson. We have a wide range of bowlers to chose from which is fantastic!

Watson, Hughes, Katich, M.Hussey, Clarke (c), D.Hussey/Ferguson, Paine/Haddin ,Doherty/O'Keefe, Sidde/Johnson, Hilfenhaus/Harris/McKay, Bollinger!

Last edited:

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I'd like to see Bailey at the 6 position, but I can't see that ever happening with Ferguson on the brink and Khawaja coming through.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
D.Hussey should of been chosen ages ago, i agree Ferguson should be next in line. But if there looking for a part time bowler then I'd say D.Hussey has the job!

In my opinion, If Australia lose the Ashes Ponting is gone & Katich goes down to 3. Phillip Hughes at 2. D.Hussey/Ferguson comes in for North and Sidde in for an out of form Johnson. We have a wide range of bowlers to chose from which is fantastic!

Watson, Hughes, Katich, M.Hussey, Clarke (c), D.Hussey/Ferguson, Paine/Haddin ,Doherty/O'Keefe, Sidde/Johnson, Hilfenhaus/Harris/McKay, Bollinger!

Agree that Dussey should have been in the Test side for a long time now. Over North for sure. The bloke averages 55 at FC for god's sake! I very much doubt he will get a look in though. You'd expect Ferguson, Khawaja or Smith to get next crack.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I might have to have North as an exception towards the first post, he'sjust plain crap. Guess he always was though.

Can go with that list then although Johnson on thin ice.

Weren't you the one that didn't like Ferguson awhile back?

Right now I'd take either of David Hussey, Khawaja or Ferguson over North, enough is enough.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Weren't you the one that didn't like Ferguson awhile back?

Yeah first time I saw him play in the ODI series in England I thought his success was a fluke. As in he just had a good day where found the gaps all the time. But the more I see him the more I am convinced that he is actually quite good.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Glad Hussey made that 196, makes my point seem alright so far.....

War

Chairman of Selectors
True but I guess almost anybody would have been more consistent than North. I doubt D.Huss could get those big scores like North could though. His technique is so ugly that no matter how well he plays at domestic level, international bowlers will enjoy bowling at him.

Agree to disagree with this one. No doubt his technique is a bit ugly & it does worry you one a bit when thinking about him as a test batsman.

But i dunno they have been a few ugly or poor technique batsmen around the world like C"Paul, Sehwag, Gayle, Dilshan, Katich etc that have managed fairly good careers. So i guess D Hussey could be worth a temporary go @ # 6.

Yer but Katich is an opener and I can't see him moving down any time soon. Hughes has been out of form recently so that's a shame.

Katman a converted opener to be fair. The man is fairly versatile he has batted @ # 3 & 6 before in test with great success. I'd say if he where to drop down back now he would adjust.

Hughes has been a bit patchy in domestic cricket indeed. But he looked his normal self in the 2nd innings of the A-Team game @ Hobart i'd say.

I have seen khawaja play a few innings and none of them have been that convincing. He's great on the pull-shot but apart from that he's got nothing going his way really. He looks very uncomfortable to balls pitched up, just hanging on the back-foot and poking the bat at them.

Ferguson looks a really good talent though. I was reading a live commentary for a recent innings he played in a shield match and they were great. So many cracking drives apparently, which is always a great sign. Looked good on the tour match too, was out to a beauty seaming away in his 1st dig and to a ball that kept very low in the 2nd. But apart from that he looked really good.

Agreed overall. I dont doubt long term Usman & Fergo are going to be quality middle-order bats for AUS.

Its just that for me in the HUGE Ashes series i rather stick with players who are experienced & have test experience instead of going for the youngsters. That why if North is dropped i'd go for Hughes opening & dropping Katman down in the middle for this Ashes.

But after the Ashes AUS can throw in youngsters like them however.

Users who are viewing this thread