Happy Birthday Cricket 07

Today marks five years since EA Sports and HB Studios released their most recent Cricket title, EA Sports Cricket 07 on PS2 and PC. Ironically for a game that still has the most visited and active forum section on PlanetCricket, Cricket 07?s release was very much overshadowed at the time by the forthcoming release of Brian Lara International Cricket 2007, bitterness among the cricket gaming public about the small improvements over EA?s 2005 and 2004 releases, and a view that the patched versions of those games were still the way to go. Five years on and you?d have thought Cricket 07 was a masterpiece.

Such was the disappointment about Cricket 07?s minor improvements, forum administrator barmyarmy even refused the offer of a free review copy of the game (three times no less) and to this day doesn?t own a copy. The extent of the disappointment was evident as a flood of bug reports began to come in for the game, including bugs that were reported for Cricket 2005 and not fixed, like bowlers bowling over their allotted overs in one day matches; as well as major issues with LBWs, fielding, edges and more. Despite the introduction of Mark Nicholas to the commentary line up alongside stalwart Richie Benaud, complaints about repetitive, inaccurate and missing commentary continued.

Over time however, users started scratching the surface of the game with patching. Thanks to the game being such a small improvement to Cricket 2005, much of the game?s mods were able to be easily transfered to the new game, with only things like overlays, rosters and gameplay patches being unable to copy across, the game started off with a wide range of options for those who stuck with the game. The modified exe by AbBh released in early 2007 solved significant issues with the game out of the box, allowing improvements to gameplay and opening up new editing options for users. Over time, breakthroughs and a lot of effort has seen nearly everything modified. Wholescale replacements of stadiums, modifications to player, face and equipment 3D models, adding pitchads to all sides of the field and allowing the use of 256 different bats in the game all were significant breakthroughs allowing the game to be changed in ways never before considered.

On the other side, BLIC 2007 came and went, in many ways going backwards compared to the 2005 version and still no match for the legendary BLC 99. For two years after that, no major Cricket titles were released, before a buggy and difficult to edit Ashes Cricket 2009 marked the last major PC release. Two years after that and Cricket 07 is still the king of cricket video games, a position that seems extremely undeserved based on the initial issues with the game. However, years of mega patches, such as Black Magic?s IPL patch in 2008 that implemented major tournament replacements alongside wholescale graphical updates and follow-ups including many major patches by Ahad and Addy?s A? Studios, that did everything from the IPL to a World Cup update. The 150 and then 256 bat packs by Zaxotes complemented nearly all these patches, and to be self-indulgent, nearly all included overlays by me, with recent major breakthroughs there allowing a return to similar quality to what was possible on Cricket 2005. And this paragraph just scratches the surface of some of the years of hard work that has gone into the game by dozens of highly skilled patchers.

I certainly can?t do a list justice without leaving out many quality contributors, but to try you?ve have to say the aforementioned Addy, Ahad, Zaxotes, Black Magic and AbBh; as well as others like Friend863?s work on mega patches and stadiums, Biggy?s work on wonderful rosters, Charu?s ongoing huge efforts with faces ? as well as those who have left modding, like Punk Sk8r!?s kits, Tutsi?s AI patches and Burma?s Finest?s bats ? which were previously the standard bearers for quality mods. These and many other members have provided years of downloads and breakthroughs to the community, and deserve all the credit for keeping a cricket game alive and still played by thousands around the world thanks to the updates and improvements they?ve made.

I suppose above all else, the modding community has shown over the years an ability to make something wonderful out of a game panned near universally on release. Five years is a long time, especially for a game to still be played to the degree that this is. It is probably fair to say that Cricket 07 is slowly in decline, but a lack of quality games on PC to move on to, means Cricket 07 will likely be in service a little while yet. Hopefully it isn?t 2016 before a decent game comes along to replace it.

In short, Cricket 07: Never gonna give you up.

Article by Matt Whitehorn - Read More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurjot95

National Board President
The other reasons of C07 being still active is this game being able to run even on low end Computers and it has all domestic tournaments which AC09 doesn't hence more people are still playing. Would like to give big thanks to patchers for making incomplete, buggy game into playable with more features. Don't forget mods, who tried their best to keep spam and Plagiarism away. Dealing with newbies is really difficult, the major reason why many mods of C07 left moderating. So yeah they deserve appreciations too.

PS: It's 30th time I am seeing my username spelt wrong. Don't blame me for complicated name, I was 12 when I joined site :p. Looks like I need a change ;)

Ahmad Shah

Panel of Selectors
Happy Birthday To C07:D,The Great Work Of Modders Here Has Kept This Game Alive Till Date,Hope They Keep Doing So In The Future:thumbs

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
the funny thing is its my birthday aswell hapyy birthday to cricket 07 may you live longer for moding

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Shout out!

People can bag the game all they want but PC have done amazing things with it and in 2011 it is still the game I play the most and enjoy the most courtesy of those modders you have mentioned.

StormySteve

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great article that Matt, I certainly agree that without the hard work and effort by all within the community the cricket games that have come and gone would not have been very enjoyable. I actually preferred a modded Cricket 2005 over 2007 and I thought 2004 was horrible visually. Indeed some of the bugs were horrendous especially when a line up would go back to default in the second innings of a test not to mention the bowlers bowling more than their allotted overs in a ODI which the latter existed from Cricket 2002. BLC99 was legendary ( I did the teams for that, shame I can't run it now) the follow up Brian Lara series weren't without their faults but were a decent effort and I like them, Ashes 09 was awful on the PC, for now I'm enjoying IC2010, C2005 & BLIC05 and I think it's going to be a heck of a wait for another PC Cricket game in the current climate and I'm being a realist here.

Steve S.

Highlander999

ICC President
I reckon I deserve a shout out for having to moderate that ruddy forum for so long and deal with the constant arguing, plagiarising, stupid posts, whinging PM's and that was all just from Matt :p not to mention the rest of the forum ;)

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
I reckon I deserve a shout out for having to moderate that ruddy forum for so long and deal with the constant arguing, plagiarising, stupid posts, whinging PM's and that was all just from Matt :p not to mention the rest of the forum ;)
if you get a shout out you will get all the girls!

Users who are viewing this thread