ZIP-a-dee-doo-dah, ZIP-a-dee-ay

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
So the saffers are accused of and penalised for ball tampering, Du Plessis apparently pleaded guilty. Might I say they took it better than other teams probably would have, some would have cried "persecution", some might even have walked off.

BBC Sport - Faf du Plessis: South Africa all-rounder fined for ball tampering

Do you think this incident has been rather played down? OK they admitted it and got on with it, but they did it in the first place and what if they'd gotten away with it? That said England may be viewed as getting away with dirt-in-pocket gate and other accusations in the past, whether all were founded accusations is a whole debate in its own right.

Do you think the offence of damaging the surface of the pitch that saw pop-gun Afridi get a two ODI and two Test ban is more what we should have been looking at for Du Plessis? All he got was a fine, although reading the BBC report for Du Plessis and the notes on wiki for Afridi, for some reason a "level 2 offence" for ball tampering is a fine, but Afridi's "level 3 offence" is deemed far more serious.

Both are against the spirit of the game, both deliberate, and whether your first offence or 99th, it is still an offence. Reading something else on wiki suggests a 1-2 match ban in an "and/or" fashion alongside a fine

What is it with these leggies eh? The code of conduct is an interesting read

ICC Cricket Code of Conduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
What teams would have cried persecution? I'm interested to know.

Faf definitely should be given a ban, at least one match, what Afridi did was a far smaller offence in my eyes.

Speaking of England's previous misdemeanors, it's quite interesting how our boys have gotten away with some blatant cheating. Not sure why, what with TV cameras picking up most action on field these days.

But it's good to see the Pakistan side not taking this further either and getting on with the game with minimum whinging, something other teams should definitely take a look at. Misbah may not be the brightest spark in terms of sheer entertainment but he leads his team with dignity.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
ICC has once again shown its ugly face by letting faf off the hook with only a minor penalty. This was just as bad as Afridi biting the ball but Mr Boon thought otherwise. There is definitely bias involvled in such decisions. There is no other explaination.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I agree. I've thought the ICC has improved over the last 2-3 years in terms of being pretty level when handing out bans/fines etc but this obviously reeks of bias.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
Is there a team in world cricket with a bigger victim complex than Pakistan?

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think for once, Pakistan team and officials have handled it very well. Misbah's comments on this incident - "It's between the match officials and their team. It's none of our business." Very level headed and mature comment IMO

It really was the same offence as Afridi's when he tried eating the ball (still makes me crack up :lol) - so the different judgement is not easy to explain.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
Afridi had more history of disciplinary issues, whereas du Plessis hasn't.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Afridi had more history of disciplinary issues, whereas du Plessis hasn't.

Thats a good point actually. Also, if I am not wrong, he was the captain at that time (remember Pak fans praising him for what he did because of his desire to win)

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Tbh the saffers prob thought we best start ball tampering before they do. fair play :clap

angryangy

ICC Chairman
ICC has once again shown its ugly face by letting faf off the hook with only a minor penalty. This was just as bad as Afridi biting the ball but Mr Boon thought otherwise. There is definitely bias involvled in such decisions. There is no other explaination.
You don't think it is substantially worse if it is the captain?

ferg512

International Coach
I feel for Pakistan a bit though as if it were them, the whole cricket world would have been up in arms. I don't really care though, I think ball tampering should be legalised anyway. Its the only way bowlers can fight back.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Is there a team in world cricket with a bigger victim complex than Pakistan?

Probably India or Australia, has anyone whinged as much about DRS or substitute fielders as those two teams? It's ridiculous. Decisions go in favour of Australia, they celebrate the system, goes against the, they cry wolf.

I think Pakistan has often handled situations very well, I know the Oval debacle was just that, a debacle but Pakistan had every reason to feel aggrieved and targeted. They were pounced on by a ridiculous umpire with ZERO evidence. And throughout the 90s, when Akram and Younis were running wild, every Pakistani bowler under the sun was accused of ball tampering yet it was the English and Atherton who took it to whole new levels...and nothing much happened, oh there was a fine lol.

Pakistan could have kicked up a huge fuss but they've allowed it to be swept under the rug, they should be given credit for that, whereas South African cricket needs to be put under the spotlight. I guarantee neither will happen.

----------

Just to add, it's funny how all the big cricket writers are now coming out with this new adage: "Ball tampering is ok, the game is too uneven for the batsmen"

The same went for reverse swing, when all the Pakistanis could pull it off it was, "these bloody cheating devils" then came 2005 and England's successful use of the skill and it became an "art".

:lol

Users who are viewing this thread