The Commonwealth Games: Glasgow 2014

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I just thought that there might be interest in a thread to discuss the various going-ons for the Commonwealth Games, IMO the second biggest athletics competition in the world. That's partially because its the only one that Scotland competes in separately.

The opening ceremony has just started, and I'm a little biased but I'm quite excited!

Raghuchandra

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
It is great to see Scotland spent Rs.5397 crores of money for this great Commonwealth Games.
really good use of money to encourage all athletes.
I hope India gets a place in top5 places.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I just thought that there might be interest in a thread to discuss the various going-ons for the Commonwealth Games, IMO the second biggest athletics competition in the world. That's partially because its the only one that Scotland competes in separately.

The opening ceremony has just started, and I'm a little biased but I'm quite excited!

Technically it's the third largest because of the Asia Games :p But I'd say it has more prestige than those games due to the length of time it has been going

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I find it hard to care about a competition which excludes 8 of the top 10 nations from the last Olympics. The Team Scotland thing will hopefully happen at Rio anyway after a yes vote...
How many of the 72 nations at this games have Olympic size swimming pools and 50m diving boards? Or indoor velodromes?
All it is is a chance for the home nations to win medals at sports like swimming and athletics where we usually win very few at the Olympics or Worlds.

The diving is taking place 5 minutes from my house and I still couldn't care less...

That said this forum is probably the ideal place to discuss it as cricket and the commonwealth are inextricably linked.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Cricket was in the Commonwealth games in 1996, won by South Africa. It was a pub quiz question this week :)

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I actually quite enjoy the commonwealths, the variety makes it much more appealing for me than the world championships.

it can be a bit meh though, It's ok not having china and america there who just steam roll everyone and seem to have a gold medal hope in every single event, but you miss some of the european nations that would bolster the fields of some sports considerably.

always think the gymnastics are a bit of a joke when the olympics are a shoot between eastern europe, china and the USA. the swimming and cycling with a some genuine world class athletes is good though and the track stuff, especially endurance events can be of a fairly high quality.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
That's partially because its the only one that Scotland competes in separately.
For now...

The hockey is about all I've watched - we could learn something from the way they handle reviews, having the umpire and the video ref talking. Cricket needs to do that. But that's really just because it rarely makes it on TV otherwise - which is about the only reason I'd bother with the Commonwealth Games.

Certainly don't need to see the generic athletics and swimming stuff.

It's pathetic that cricket isn't in - considering that the Commonwealth means you cut out a bunch of countries for most sports, they really need to have the small number of sports that you actually do get most of the best countries.

I'd say we should have all the Australian states competing separately to make it more interesting.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
South Africa might actually win something! 16-0 in the hockey and killing the rugby! Long live apartheid freedom!

Users who are viewing this thread