India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Vaughan's joke was better.

Hahaha, I cannot believe that you had watch that vid. Anyway that joke is not meant to be explained to anyone who doesn't get Hindi. Its just too much of a strech to try and explain it to an non hindi speaking person. At any rate even in Hindi its not a very funny joke.

What was Vaughan's Joke btw?

Edit - Oh Okay got it the white flag joke after the tests, to which someone posted a pic Indian players with a message on it. Yeah if the players were actually trying to send a message to Vaughan, for that joke, then that is just over-reacting.

If they don't like ppl taking shots at them for poor performances they should just play better on the field.

Also I think Vaughan tweeted the white flag for England after the ODI series. Players cannot react to what commentators says, like that. Of course if that pic with message to Vaughan is actually real and not made by some fan.

Last edited:
A mixed (mostly disappointing) tour because the most important thing, i.e. the tests ended up miserably for India after a great high of that Lord's win. Yes we won the ODI's and that was good preparation for the upcoming World Cup. But as far as this tour was concerned, tests were the most important (we played 5 tests) and the way we lost those 3 tests still makes this a disappointing tour for us. If we had fought and lost those tests, I would have called this tour a success.

The limited overs (ODI and T20 side) is in far better shape. Our test side is still a 'work in progress'. I think as Ganguly has said in one of his recent articles, the ODI series win (and Kohli's wretched run) will ensure that Dhoni survives as test skipper till the WC. Hope BCCI can keep Shastri and the new guys (Bangar, Arun, Sridhar) around till the WC. Although its early to rate their contributions, the fact that India looked much different after the test drubbing suggests that they must be retained till the WC.

What a difference Shikhar Dhawan in form makes !! Also there are few better sights on the cricket field than watching Dhawan at his best. I mean other players perform and look good, but when Dhawan does, it, its just such a different and more pleasing sight for some reason.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ya he has great attitude and gels well with most.I really wnt him to succeed well at test level too, if he can just find a workaround to short ptich stuff he will be a truly world class player.

This. Raina is one guy who I would like to see succeed big in test cricket. The guy with his vibrant energy and ever positive attitude makes a big difference to the Indian side and is a delight to watch. You somehow want him to do well because of his ever bubbling and positive personality

This. Raina is one guy who I would like to see succeed big in test cricket. The guy with his vibrant energy and ever positive attitude makes a big difference to the Indian side and is a delight to watch. You somehow want him to do well because of his ever bubbling and positive personality

IF he has done enough to convince everyone that he is ready to face the short ball, and I think he has, then I would want him in the test squad, and perhaps even in the XI. To add to what he brings with the bat, he could actually be quite a handy spinner in tests too. Who he would replace though, I struggle with this issue. He is not an opener, and India's middle order even though out of form picks itself. No one is going to drop Pujara, Kohli and Rahane, and after that its Dhoni and the bowlers.

I would like Raina in the team, but just who does he replace? In an ideal world, where all the batsmen are scoring runs, the only way is to get Rahane and Dhawan to open, and have Raine in at 5. Now this would be very harsh on Vijay, but I think the team is better off for Raina's inclusion over Vijay's and Rahane moving up the order.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Raina could possibly replace Jadeja and bowl some spin (as you said). But again, I dont see Raina getting in so soon back into the test side. He has to prove a lot more than what he has done in recent times (about his batting against hostile fast/short pitched bowling).

lion100lion

International Coach
Duncan Fletcher is a fatherly figure, says RAVI SHASTRI

England in India 2014 : I got more than I expected - Ravi Shastri | Cricket Features | England v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Did you achieve the targets you had in mind when you started the role?
Absolutely. I got more than I would have expected. I say that only because of England's record at home, not many sides have thrashed them 3-0 in a four-ODI series. It is a big achievement: from what they were mentally after the Test series defeat, and then to respond in that fashion made me feel proud.

The players, including MS Dhoni, said your aura and positive outlook were the stand-out factors. How did you relax the dressing room?
Those factors defined me as a cricketer. I had to make it a place where the boys wanted to enjoy themselves. I was very clear when I said I am doing this job because I believe in them. And that was enough. As I got talking to them one on one, things started falling in place.

Did you emphasise on individual sessions?
I had a plenty of one-on-one chats. Not sessions. I was not afraid to speak to a guy individually. Ground, bus, bar, dressing room, while eating - we were talking cricket. Communication is important. The advantage I had was I had watched these boys a lot. I told them I have watched more cricket than I have played. I have learned more about cricket after I stopped playing.

One of the guys you focused on was Virat Kohli. Why?
About Virat, you knew it was due (the half-century in the Edgbaston Twenty20). The reason he did not perform earlier was a combination of mental and technical issues. You cannot get out to the same bowler in the same fashion five to six times. So there is an issue. He has to accept there is something wrong otherwise you cannot get out. And that had to be addressed, which we did. There are certain issues Virat understands he needs to work on, which he has been doing. Similar case with Shikhar [Dhawan].

Shikhar batted magnificently - you would have seen the difference in him in the last three matches. He was technically and overall more fluent and confident. Mentally they were down after the Test series, but my job was to make them free. The good thing about this entire team was the willingness to listen and learn. No one works harder than these boys - they push themselves to the limit.

Why did you handpick these two players?
Not just these two. It was they along with Jinks [Ajinkya Rahane], [Suresh] Raina and [Ambati] Rayudu. And never forget Rohit [Sharma], whose half-century in the second ODI started off everything. If India goes to the World Cup with these players in form, it would be massive.

How did you draw the line between where your job ends and Duncan Fletcher's begins?
Fletcher is the coach: he looks after the handling of various things including little, little stuff. My experience comes into play from the outside - of having been there, done that. The fact that I watch so much is a massive help. And my personality is such if I feel like saying something I don't hold back. I don't care who it is.

What are your observations about Fletcher, having worked with him for the first time?
He is tremendous. He would have done over a 100 Tests as coach, which is massive. He is technically very sound. He is a solid character. He is respected. He is a fatherly figure. I knew Fletcher from the 1983 World Cup. Then in 1984 I led an India Under-25 side to Zimbabwe, where he was my counterpart. So I was aware of his leadership qualities already. Also what made Fletcher's job easier was having the trio of Sanjay Bangar, Bharat Arun and R Sridhar as his assistant coaches.

How did the team receive the three coaches who were brought in suddenly to replace the well-established pair of Joe Dawes (bowling coach) and Trevor Penney (fielding coach)?
The three coaches have been brilliant. Have you seen fielding like that in the Twenty20 at Edgbaston from India? We lost by three runs, but if we had not fielded the way we did, they would have gone over 200 runs. That was the biggest positive - the Indians were like tigers on the field. You field well and that is half the battle in limited-overs cricket.

So the assistant coaches are in for the long term?
All three of them have done an excellent job in the short period they have been given. I have to go back and sit with the BCCI to discuss what will happen in the long term.

A BCCI official was quoted in the media saying your report would decide Fletcher's future with India?
Let the media say what they want. I have told you what I thought of Fletcher. I will go back and speak with the BCCI.

How did you work with Dhoni?
When I first worked as a consultant with the Indian team during the 2007 Bangladesh tour, Dhoni was a key player already. Hence both of us know each other well. Our job was to make his life easier after the Test series. Our job was to take the pressure off him. Our job was to communicate more with the players, make them at ease, and give them the confidence.

Dhoni said it a "good" tour overall for India. Do you agree?
He is not far from the truth. One of the things I had told the boys was, the reason I am here is you have shown me two things on this tour: first was India's greatest ever Test win, at Lord's during the second Test. I mean it. It was phenomenal. I also told them in the final three Tests you played spineless cricket. So for me a good team cannot be a bad team in two weeks. It cannot. It is a learning curve. Then to beat England in the ODI series the way India did was very good. And don't forget, this is only the second time India have won a bilateral ODI series in England.

In ODI cricket, bowling remains a weak area for India …
Death bowling, big time we need to improve on. It is a key area. For Dhoni to fall back on a spinner to bowl in the death overs becomes very risky. It is not yet a concern, but bowlers need to be aware about where to bowl and what to try in such a situation.

Dhoni has pointed out consistently that India lack an allrounder in Tests. If you were a selector how would you solve this issue?
Someone like [Ravindra] Jadeja has to be backed and encouraged and told you can get runs on a regular basis. And I feel he is good in all three formats.

About your future, strong voices within the BCCI want you performing the role for the World Cup. Are you happy to take it?
One step at a time. I was doing commentary during the Oval Test. This is my first, proper off day. I got a call immediately after the Oval Test asking me take over. Then your whole mind goes into a tailspin because you are supposed to suddenly do something different and massive. My job was to be with the team for the ODI series. They have won it. I want to let that sink. I will return to India and then think about the future.

grkrama

National Board President
So poker is banned again thanks to @Madman had to blow the horn:p, its time poker stopped trying to get in using multiple accounts and just put out an due apology to the staff, im sure they will understand that every one can at times say a word or two extra than necessary and give him an infraction or a week length ban.The guy is addicted to the place so cut him some slack.

D

Deleted member 9102

Only did it because he was almost justifying the abuse Moeen Ali got - with that sort of mentality I'm not surprised he got a ban in the first place.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Only did it because he was almost justifying the abuse Moeen Ali got - with that sort of mentality I'm not surprised he got a ban in the first place.
I had thought there was something similar between PokerAce and 'TooDrunkToBeBowled' too. I'm sure he'll be back again.

grkrama

National Board President
with that sort of mentality I'm not surprised he got a ban in the first place.
So you are saying people should get banned for sharing their views? just because its not in norm with others.

I for one am not supporting his views on the matter as you would have seen on that thread.Still nothing wrong cause some one has a different view/ even wrong one on something.

Last edited:

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
So you are saying people should get banned for sharing their views? just because its not in norm with others.

I for one am not supporting his views on the matter as you would have seen on that thread.Still nothing wrong cause some one has a different view/ even wrong one on something.
Not to be discussed here but still saying. He should be banned anyway for creating multiple accounts.If you are talking of banning PokerAce's first account I think it was not for his views but for the language he used to convey his idea.Such attitude could never be allowed.

grkrama

National Board President
Ya i know offensive language is a no-no, i think its time the mods and poker settled it properly, instead of going in a chain reaction like this. as we don't know what he received in PM but if he was slandered first and got back both should have been punished, there is no such thing as less offensive language or more offensive language when its slander.I just would say anything more than a week ban at the most for it is an over reaction by eager to prove mods.
Also a few others would have just gotten off with an infraction for the same case instead even if they had provoked first.

My comment was in respect to madman's remark on his mentality and stuff, he was almost implying that the guy should be banned for being his self.

Anyway i would suggest poker to put a proper due apology and get it sorted with mods.

Users who are viewing this thread