IPL Stlye Pan Asia Tennis (Ind, UAE, Phi, Sin) League, All Major Tennis Stars on Board

PokerAce

Banned
I know its off topic, but I am sure there are fans of tennis, and indeed other sports too present here, so I thought I will post.

IPL Franchise style, Tennis league but in a Pan Asia format has made some major announcements. The Four Teams which will be India (Delhi Aces), UAE, Singapore and Phillipines based, have had some major players sign up already. A big blow was Nadal pulling out from Delhi Aces because of his injury, which also had him miss the US Open, but on the up side Federer, Sampras and Ivanovic have signed for the Delhi Team. It would have been an absolute delight to see Nadal and Federer and Sampras (the three players with most grand slams), play for Delhi, but maybe next year.

International Premier Tennis League

The league which will feature the biggest Tennis starts including the past generation's legends, will also be played under totally different scoring format. The Teams will play in Singles, Doubles (Men), Doubles (Female) and Mixed Doubles, and the points will also add to the team totals.

The Teams so far are (Major Names) -

Philippines - Andy Murray, Jo Tsonga (Men), Sharapova (Female)
Singapore - Aggasi, Berdych, Hewitt, Rafter (Men) Serena Williams, Hantuchova (Female)
India - Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Monfils (Men) Ivanovic (Female)
UAE - Djokovic, Ivanisevic, Gasquet (Men) Wozniacki (Female)

This will clearly be a unique experience, and something never quite done in tennis. There is much talk of a 5th Slam in tennis, but has never quite materialised. Can IPTL while not a grand slam, fill the slot for a 5th major tournament on the tennis calender? We will find out. However, for now I am excited about the first edition.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Great to see Federer, Nadal & Sampras in one team for Delhi.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
the 5th slam is the year end tournament, or possibly the olympics on an olympic year.

tbf I'm surprised the big 4 signed up to this as they regularly complain of an over-crowded schedule, some of the masters really need to be binned if this is to go ahead. one of the clay ones, paris and cincinatti would be the ones I'd be looking at getting rid of. they could also move the world finals out of london permanently so they can spread it around a bit more, london doesn't need to have the biggest and 5th biggest events of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread