Should Ched Evans be allowed to play again?

Should Ched Evans be allowed to play again?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
BBC Sport - Ched Evans: Oldham Athletic sponsors told deal is done

So it looks like Oldham Athletic are going to sign Ched Evans. Personally I don't think he should be allowed to play again until his name is cleared (he's adamant he's not guilty) and I see that most of the supporters are also against his return. We all know what football fans are like (especially in England) and he will receive a monumental amount of verbal abuse from the terraces.

What do you guys think?

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Football players are role models to lots of young kids, and thus I think they should be held to some standards although they will never be paragons of virtue. Being an unrepentant rapist (he admits to having sex with the victim but he claims that it is consensual: which it legally cannot be because she was blackout drunk and thus cannot consent, that's why all of his appeals have been chucked out to this point). If he had came out and unreservedly apologised for what he did and seemed remorseful then I think that the outrage in relation to this would be a lot less and people would be a lot more likely to forgive the guy although even then I'd not be entirely sure whether such a public pursuit as football would be appropriate.

To preempt "BUT HE'S DONE HIS TIME!!!!!" he actually hasn't: he's out on licence and could be recalled at any time. He's also on the sex offenders register for life which would limit him from working many jobs in the real world.

I don't actually see this happening: it seems that many of the clubs sponsors are dropping their support for the club and there will surely be a point where someone wonders whether pissing off a large portion of the club's fancies, sponsors and also the general population is worth it... for one player.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't actually see this happening
You reckon? Here's what the owner has said:

''We believe he has served his time. There is an 80 per cent chance of us signing him. It won’t be done today. It’s not straightforward and there are some legal issues.
“There might be a cost implication, but you have to stick to your principles. We weren’t surprised by the backlash.”

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Sheffield were saying things along those lines (although not so explicit) and then dropped it when pretty much everyone famous linked to Sheffield United ever (Jessica Ennis-Hill is a perfect example) plus lots of their sponsors were pulling out. If it does happen then its going to hurt Oldham a lot in the long term for the very important principle of... hiring a man out under licence of rape?

but you have to stick to your principles.

This bit manages to be quite funny and terrible at the same time. I can understand sports teams making an important stand to hire players that they wouldn't have in the past - Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers is probably the most famous example; a team risking the support of elements of their fanbase and the wider nation in order to let black players play Baseball in America. Even Michael Sam and the Rams was positive: even though the guy was dropped by the Rams and the Cowboys it did help to demonstrate that it would be possible for an openly gay person to play in the NFL. Both of those things are very important things worth making a stand on. A convicted rapist out on remand... less so.

Lee1981

International Coach
For me it only matters what he does on the pitch, I couldn't careless what he was done for, if he could bang 30 goals in over a season, then his conviction is gonna be forgot about very quickly

Yes it's not right but how many ex inmates come out and get on with their lives and no one cares, yet when it's an average run of the mill footballer it's headline news

He was convicted and also released, both things he had no say in, so he is out now is a free man so has the right to re build his life, it just so happens he is a footballer.

There is probably a convicted rapist working in your local supermarket or delivers your post, all this role model crap winds me up.

Kids mum and dads should be the role models, my boy loves John Terry, and what he has done off the pitch plays no part in his opinion of him and nor should it

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
All i'll say on the matter is, while he's a convicted rapist, I wouldn't want him at my club, no remorse, an apology that effectively said "Sorry, can I have a job now?" And for the "He's served his time argument" he's still out on license, if he gets done for anything for the next two years then he goes back inside.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I would have said he deserves another chance until I found out that he's running the website that the victim's father is claiming contempt of court over. That shocked me, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up back in prison let alone out of a job.

Users who are viewing this thread