GOLF The Golf Club

D

Deleted member 9102

I haven't played TW in ages, last one I played was 2004, so I don't know what many of the differences would be... Here's the main things of TGC imo

Course creation/sharing - The game has an extremely flexible course creator, and anyone can publish their course to the online server for anyone to play. This means you have pretty much limitless variety of courses to play on. There have been a few real life courses recreated accurately by the community and more in the works.
No CPU players - You compete against against the 'ghosts' of other real players who have played the courses/tournaments before or other players in real time. I prefer this to CPU opponents.
Physics/gameplay - The physics are pretty spot on, and the gameplay is challenging/realistic. It's not an 'arcadey' game.

It doesn't have licenses, real pros/equipment and is very bare on bells and whistles but it is a very solid golf game in terms of gameplay.

It is quite badly optimised though at the minute which they are working on - it pushes even my GTX 780 to the limit despite not looking that great. I really enjoy this game but would suggest that anyone interested waits until there have been plenty of patches and improvements.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Fair enough, does look quite interesting, doubt my laptop would run it atm. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe try it cheap, guessing there's no free version

D

Deleted member 9102

Fair enough, does look quite interesting, doubt my laptop would run it atm. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe try it cheap, guessing there's no free version
Nope, no demo or free version. It is out on Xbone and is coming to PS4 as well at some point, but I'd be careful with buying it for low-medium spec PCs or laptops because it may perform badly. It could also cause heat issues in laptops - my GPU gets hotter playing this game than anything else and although this is ok for a well ventilated/cooled PC, laptops may not cope so well. My old laptop used to 'thermal shutdown' just from playing the DBC nets beta a while back.

It's made in the Unity engine, which generally produces crappy looking games and is what Ashes Cricket 2013 was 'made' with, although the visuals in TGC are adequate and they managed to get some nice physics/gameplay into the engine. Definitely needs a lot of work, I was surprised when it came out of Early Access as IMO it is nowhere near finished.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
I'm getting a next gen console soon so I'll give it a look then. Want something that isn't TW and this does look alright

D

Deleted member 9102

Well, I'd recommend putting together a decent PC instead of getting a console as both of the "next gen" consoles are pretty awful. Apparently TGC looks absolutely dire on XB1 and I doubt it will be much better on PS4.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Any one still playing this? It's pretty catchy so to say and I've been hooked to it since the last few days.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Just not enough depth to it to keep it interesting for me. I found the career modes in the Tiger Woods games to be really good, because you got two levels of development, with both skilling up areas of your game, and the tougher opponents.

Without a career mode there's just disconnected rounds of golf, and with all the other games I could be playing, the game just isn't enough to get me going back to it.

Their low priority on translating the game into metric is annoying too.

D

Deleted member 9102

I haven't played it at all recently as I've been into other games (mainly FIFA) but as Matt says, the feeling of it just being disconnected rounds of golf doesn't give me much motivation to get back into it all that much.

This looks interesting though;

TGCTours.com

I signed up to it a few weeks ago and it gets going this weekend and seems like a proper tour schedule will get going with rankings, Q-School etc. This sort of structured competition may be just what pulls me back in, because the gameplay itself is very solid and rewarding.

Another reason for holding off playing was due to the horribly unoptimised state the game released in - I thought a few weeks/months would give them the opportunity to bring the game up to scratch performance wise. Not sure if this has been improved since I last played.

Ash1973

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Just picked this up psn sale for £10
Looking forward to playing it.
The fact that this game has over 50, 000 courses excites me more than the few in tw.

Users who are viewing this thread