Do you think English county cricket divisions could be expanded?

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
To keep it simple I mean in simple ways. Possibly an extra division or two for example? Or extra teams in each division?
Of course the cup competitions would have to be edited.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No, the number of major counties needs to be cut if anything, not expanded.

I would merge some of them (Leicestershire with Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire with Lancashire, Northamptonshire with Essex, etc.) and cut the teams down to around 12, then have two divisions of six. The Championship season would be 10 games long for each side and would be of a higher quality. It would also mean the season wouldn't have to start at the ludicrously early few weeks of April.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Issue of expanding I think is when do those players become full professional and where's the cut off point. Would be nice for some minor counties to have the opportunity to move up if they deserve it though.

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England

I would merge some of them (Leicestershire with Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire with Lancashire, Northamptonshire with Essex, etc.) and cut the teams down to around 12, then have two divisions of six. The Championship season would be 10 games long for each side and would be of a higher quality. It would also mean the season wouldn't have to start at the ludicrously early few weeks of April.

I agree 100% with this. But would more (yet smaller) major divisions be a possibility to you?

Santander

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The two division system is a bit of a joke to begin with, so adding more divisions would be pointless from a sporting perspective. 18 first-class counties is flirting with being too many, but I don't agree with merging counties. I'd maintain the status quo and think the focus should be on making the "poor" counties without Test grounds more financially stable.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors

Why not 3 divisions of six teams? Still reduces the cricket, without getting rid of any of the Counties. Plus, then you wouldn't miss out of the youth players that all those Counties produce. Just look at the players Leicestershire have brought through in recent years (before being poached by the 'bigger' counties).

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Why not 3 divisions of six teams? Still reduces the cricket, without getting rid of any of the Counties. Plus, then you wouldn't miss out of the youth players that all those Counties produce. Just look at the players Leicestershire have brought through in recent years (before being poached by the 'bigger' counties).

Exactly as I said above. It just seems more sensible to me if we were to give more minor counties such as my local Lincolnshire a chance (I am stuck travelling to Lancashire, who I do support but it is rare and tedious unfrtunately at 19 and poor) in the first class cricket arena then 3 or maybe even 4 divisions viably funded would be a better option?

Better question though? How would the ODI and Twenty20 tournemants then be set up?

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
The two division system is a bit of a joke to begin with, so adding more divisions would be pointless from a sporting perspective. 18 first-class counties is flirting with being too many, but I don't agree with merging counties. I'd maintain the status quo and think the focus should be on making the "poor" counties without Test grounds more financially stable.

I can sort of agree with you here.
Financially sometimes I wonder how First Class cricket remains standing.

Users who are viewing this thread