New Zealand tour of Australia Nov-Dec 2015

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Have just modified the original post to add a couple of tour matches that weren't originally part of the program

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
They're all Portuguese nationals, so they can play as EU non-overseas players

I'm pretty sure that the national boards see the EU-national thing in a very similar way to the Kolpak thing: its not something that they are particularly fond of for some reason

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm pretty sure that the national boards see the EU-national thing in a very similar way to the Kolpak thing: its not something that they are particularly fond of for some reason
It's a bit annoying, as it does raise standards. I used to be really against it, but let's look at it another way: if you can get the three Cachopas, Tom Cooper, Tendo, Doug Bollinger, Faf du Plessis, Michael Klinger in at various stages in their careers, it can only serve to raise standards.

The argument is that it can get in the way of young talent coming through the county systems. While I see how this might be the case, ECB Level 3 and 4 coaches are doing far more to stifle the development of natural talent than sharing a Leicestershire dressing room with Faf du Plessis. Besides that, there are eighteen English counties compared to only six Australian states. Hell, why not get in as many EU players as possible so long as they're better than the players that they're replacing. Maybe it would even draw crowds - would you rather watch Aadil Ali (Leicestershire) facing up to Benny Howell (Gloucestershire) dibbly-dobblers or Moises Henriques (Portugal) facing up to Mitchell Starc (Czech) bowling thunderbolts? And who do you think that someone like Haseeb Hameed (Lancashire) will learn more from - Michael Klinger (Hungary) or Karl Brown (Lancashire)?

For me, it's a no-brainer on the proviso that EU passport-holders are allowed to play as locals, even if they've represented Test nations. Get them in and let the next generation learn as much as they can.

EDIT - Do you think some of these posts should be moved to English Domestic Discussion?

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think they're fine here, its not like much is happening at the moment on the tour anyway

The restrictions on Associate players seem to be a lot less restrictive: Ed Joyce was captain of Sussex and Ireland at the same time and Machan plays for both Sussex and Scotland but that might be a British Isles thing and therefore its OK, and Tom Cooper wouldn't benefit from that. I do agree to a point but I think that there needs to be some form of limit: perhaps increase the number of non-EU players to two rather than one? Its not something that as desirable as it once was, especially if we end up with an English franchise League and we end up one step closer to a world where a Shane Watson can play T20 franchise Cricket year-round and jump between teams and countries at a whim.

Also does Starc really have some form of Czech ancestry that might allow him to gain citizenship? If so that's actually rather interesting

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Carters loving the NZ bowlers 100 for him. Seems to have a knack for scoring runs in tour games, just needs a bit more consistency in Shield.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
That pitch must have been dead. No surprise New Zealand have called the game off in the 2nd day.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Looks like Travis Dean is about two innings away from being the next cab off the rank...

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Aussies 336/2 on the first test day of a Test match so far. Australia in Australia is categorically Djinns.

Good to see Usman Khawaja performing, really wanted to see him perform for a long time, remember the days when Ponting was near to exile from International Cricket and Usman was there to take up the role of number 3 but never performed upto expectations. Let's hope you got it right this time Ussie

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
What a knock by Khawaja! and Warner too! Australia have the game I think but Kiwis still have 10% chance of a draw.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
great watching Williamson fight it out here. world class batsman. the toss was crucial in this match, and i think whoever batted first was always going to win, because the pressure of batting second after an inevitably large score makes the pitch almost irrelevant as you are virtually certain to fall short.

Last edited:

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Joy to watch Williamson bat like this. Fighting it out till last.

PokerAce

Banned
Kane Williamson is the finest batsman of his generation, by some distance. Can't think of anyone who comes even close.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I know everybody is talking about Kane Williamson and he is probably the 2nd best batsman behind AB. However, I am also impressed by Tom Latham. Even though he got out in 20's yesterday, he looks all class. Also he is only 23 so New Zealand has got another solid player in their top 3.

Users who are viewing this thread