New Ball?

TangoCharlie

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What field do you guys set when you take the new ball. I take it you choose your fast bowlers? How high do you set the aggression do you aim for middle stump?
I am so ineffective with the new ball I figure I must be doing something wrong!!!

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I can only advise regarding the longer formats as that is all I play.

As far as aggression is concerned, start at 4 until at batsmen reaches around 20 then reduce to 3. If he reaches 50 reduce to 2. You may have to go down to 1 or zero if he's on his way to a century or above. I pretty much always bowl middle and off, although will bowl outside off at times, especially if a batsman favours the legside or the ball is swinging.
Very rarely I will bowl more aggressively at 5, if say it's the second innings and we've got a huge lead. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.

Regarding length, generally on a good length, sometimes full if the ball is swinging. For example if it's cloudy I would go with one bowler hitting a good length and the other bowling full and adjust accordingly.

You started another thread about bowling short. This can be successful at times, I find it's probably best when a pitch has degraded and favouring the pace bowlers. Never bowl above 3 aggression with the default fields as there won't be enough deep fielders. I have found some success bowling short to batsmen who favour spin and prefer to play off the backfoot, similarly with the tailenders, as they will have a go which can lead to them throwing their wicket away.

Try things for a couple of overs, if it doesn't work go back to, good length/middle and off.

The default fields are fine although I often set my own. The above is only a rough guide and I will change things slightly depending on the match situation, conditions, form and performance.. It definitely helps to watch every ball to get an idea of what is happening.

TangoCharlie

School Cricketer
I have found some success bowling short to batsmen who favour spin and prefer to play off the backfoot

Thanks for your advice.

Surely if a ball is bowled short..batsmen get on the back foot and bang it. If they play off the back foot, wouldn't a yorker cause them more issues?

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Thanks for your advice.

Surely if a ball is bowled short..batsmen get on the back foot and bang it. If they play off the back foot, wouldn't a yorker cause them more issues?

Well if they prefer pace bowling, it wouldn't be a great idea. It's about risk and reward and had certainly worked for me at times, especially against the tail, just as bowling full to tailenders who prefer to play on the frontfoot has worked for me when the ball is swinging around. By playing to their strengths there's a very good chance they'll make a mistake especially early on in their innings. You've just got to try things and then adjust. For example if you decide to bowl full for an over and go for 2 boundaries, yet the batsman has played and missed twice, it's worth giving it another over. It's also advisable that if you're going to attempt a more risky approach to use your in-form bowlers, while being slightly more defensive with bowlers who are not firing.

TangoCharlie

School Cricketer
Well if they prefer pace bowling, it wouldn't be a great idea. It's about risk and reward and had certainly worked for me at times, especially against the tail, just as bowling full to tailenders who prefer to play on the frontfoot has worked for me when the ball is swinging around. By playing to their strengths there's a very good chance they'll make a mistake especially early on in their innings. You've just got to try things and then adjust. For example if you decide to bowl full for an over and go for 2 boundaries, yet the batsman has played and missed twice, it's worth giving it another over. It's also advisable that if you're going to attempt a more risky approach to use your in-form bowlers, while being slightly more defensive with bowlers who are not firing.

thanks for the tips.

Cricket's a great game ehh?

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
thanks for the tips.

Cricket's a great game ehh?

Sure is, although I haven't bowled a ball in anger for a few years now!!. What are your thoughts on this version of cricket captain? I enjoyed at for a while, bit the lack of depth meant I soon got bored of it, as I have done with previous editions.

TangoCharlie

School Cricketer
Sure is, although I haven't bowled a ball in anger for a few years now!!. What are your thoughts on this version of cricket captain? I enjoyed at for a while, bit the lack of depth meant I soon got bored of it, as I have done with previous editions.
I keep plugging away and enjoy CC15. I don't see a huge change from the previous versions but that is good in my book. I like the odd animation..nothing better than seeing the middle stump fly out! :) The graphics are good!!

I think what is reinforcing my game playing is snatches of success. I play four day games and tend to draw many games and grab the very odd victory. I've bought and sold and hope I now have a relatively balanced side! :)

Users who are viewing this thread