Zimbabwe Quit Tests

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
News From the BBC Cricket Website

Zimbabwe's interim cricket board has suspended the country's Test status until next year.
The Zimbabwe government took control of the cricket board on 6 January, sparking fears that the country would lose its Test-playing status.

Zimbabwe Cricket said it had decided to suspend playing in Tests "after considering recent performances".

"ZC is now putting in place a programme to galvanise the development of the Zimbabwe squads," added the statement.

The decision was taken at an interim board meeting in Harare.

"It will work with other Test nations and the International Cricket Council itself to realise this objective.

Zimbabwe's cricketers have been in dispute with the cricket union since November.

But they had recently put strike action on hold until 31 January in the wake of the government taking charge.

The players accepted assurances that their contractual grievances would be addressed.

But their representative, Clive Field, said at the time that he was pessimistic about the issue being settled by the deadline.

The dispute began when Tatenda Taibu resigned as Zimbabwe captain and announced his retirement from international cricket in protest at the way the game was being run.

Zimbabwe Cricket chairman Peter Chingoka and managing director Ozias Bvute were subsequently questioned by police as part of a fraud investigation.

Police also interviewed players Vusi Sibanda and Waddington Mwayenga about alleged breaches of the country's foreign exchange laws.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I had just read this on cricinfo. But they will continue playing ODI's. I have mixed feelings about this.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
andrew_nixon said:
The phrase "jumping before you're pushed" springs to mind.
Funny that was almost my exact thoughts

Sureshot

Executive member
andrew_nixon said:
The phrase "jumping before you're pushed" springs to mind.

You mean you think ICC would have come to sense and banned them?

I don't think they would have tbh.

Anyway it can't be easy for Zimbabwe to produce a decent cricket team in any form with Mugabe in charge.

He's like the runout bug on C2004, you hate it but try to live with it.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
You mean you think ICC would have come to sense and banned them?

I don't think they would have tbh.
I think they'd have stopped them playing test cricket.

I think the ICC should set Zimbabwe a challenge.

Sometime in April, Namibia and Nepal play off for the 8th and final place in this years Intercontinental Cup. I say, scrap that play off, and give the 8th place to Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe would have to win the tournament to retain their test status. If they can't win a tournament involving non-test nations, they shouldn't be in test cricket.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
andrew_nixon said:
I think they'd have stopped them playing test cricket.

I think the ICC should set Zimbabwe a challenge.

Sometime in April, Namibia and Nepal play off for the 8th and final place in this years Intercontinental Cup. I say, scrap that play off, and give the 8th place to Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe would have to win the tournament to retain their test status. If they can't win a tournament involving non-test nations, they shouldn't be in test cricket.

I agree Zim should have to win their place back.
We should also have a playoff system each year where the team that is last in the main test nations should have to play a playoff against the winner of the Intercontinental Cup or you just drop the last place team and promote the winner of the Intercontinental Cup. At least it would give incentive to start winning games.

cricket doctor

International Cricketer
aussie1st said:
We should also have a playoff system each year where the team that is last in the main test nations should have to play a playoff against the winner of the Intercontinental Cup or you just drop the last place team and promote the winner of the Intercontinental Cup. At least it would give incentive to start winning games.
This is an excellent idea. :hpraise :hpraise :clap :clap Wow! this has to be implemented. :happy :happy

Sureshot

Executive member
Yeh but it would act like a Yo-yo and i don't reckon teams like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, etc could improve under that type of system.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:

I like that idea :). Thing is I reckon it should happen around every 4 years, that would make test cricket great and more of a contest.

James219

International Cricketer
Alternatively they could have a ?Reserve Competition? that comprises nations A-teams, invitational first class teams on occasions, and national teams such as Zimbabwe, Kenya, Bangladesh, Holland, Ireland, Scotland and more that have not established themselves on the more professional stage. This gives them more experience I guess as their first-class systems don?t give them enough against quality players, and if they play test cricket that doesn?t do anything for them either as they haven?t developed enough. Anyway this probably wouldn?t happen.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
James219 said:
Alternatively they could have a ?Reserve Competition? that comprises nations A-teams, invitational first class teams on occasions, and national teams such as Zimbabwe, Kenya, Bangladesh, Holland, Ireland, Scotland and more that have not established themselves on the more professional stage. This gives them more experience I guess as their first-class systems don?t give them enough against quality players, and if they play test cricket that doesn?t do anything for them either as they haven?t developed enough. Anyway this probably wouldn?t happen.
Why have that competition when they already have a first class competition for the top associates?

James219

International Cricketer
Well not sure if i'm interpreting your question properly, but alot of players for example who represent Zimbabwe wouldn't even make a first-class side in England, Australia etc, and if they don't have anyone better who can replace them (unless the problems with their cricket board, president don't clear up), they'll need to get some sort of experience against decent players. For instance if they did have like a chairman's
XI and those sort of representative sides playing occasionally they'll compete against good players before they can make first-class sides of the top countries.

Users who are viewing this thread