Cricketing Queries

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
There's a lot to be said about a 'little people' batsman - he'd cop a lot of over the shoulder no balls too :p We need to train one up!

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I haven't read much of this thread so far, but as for the switch hit issue...if the batsman wants to change his stance in the middle of the bowler's delivery stride, what about the WI player Andre Russel, who once made it a habit of looking like he was pulling out of his run-up, only to jump into his stride and bowl the ball anyway? If the switch hit puts bowlers off, surely that must put batsmen off, right?

Also what about those bowlers who naturally have a pause in their delivery stride? Spinners generally are the ones considered here, for the obvious reason that they have less momentum to stop.

And finally, the rare instance when a bowler has zero run-up at all? I remember a Bangladeshi bowler took a wicket against Zimbabwe in an ODI (last year, I think) by that such route. In the event that the bowler has no run-up, he is obligated to inform the batsman that he is ready to deliver and the batsman must indicate that he is ready to face. But...that's about it. He can deliver whenever he chooses after that, once the batsman knows that at some time after his statement, he will do it. As far as I am aware, this only applies to bowlers with no run-up, ie who do not begin their "run" behind the bowling crease. Once they start their "run" between the bowling and popping creases they must ask the batsman if they are ready to face. Once the batsman is ready he can take ten years for all he cares. What about that? That can be misconstrued as putting the batsman off.

Of course I love all of them. Anything that gives bowlers a bit of advantage in a game rapidly being dominated by the bat is a plus for me.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Also what about those bowlers who naturally have a pause in their delivery stride? Spinners generally are the ones considered here, for the obvious reason that they have less momentum to stop.

I personally hate bowlers than do this. I can see the advantage of doing it, but I just don't like it.

One thing that I think SHOULD be banned though is when a bowler approaches the wicket but doesn't let the ball go ie. he's trying to see what the batsman is going to do without having to bowl it - happens a bit on the last ball of a really close game. I think if you run through the crease with the ball still in your hand it should be a no-ball, even if you are pulling out of the delivery. If you want to abandon your run-up, do it BEFORE you get to the crease.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
I personally hate bowlers than do this. I can see the advantage of doing it, but I just don't like it.

One thing that I think SHOULD be banned though is when a bowler approaches the wicket but doesn't let the ball go ie. he's trying to see what the batsman is going to do without having to bowl it - happens a bit on the last ball of a really close game. I think if you run through the crease with the ball still in your hand it should be a no-ball, even if you are pulling out of the delivery. If you want to abandon your run-up, do it BEFORE you get to the crease.

Fortunately...or unfortunately for you...the laws state that a bowler can not deliver the ball if, in his opinion, he was about to overstep and deliver a no ball. There are very little arguments against a bowler pulling out of his stride if he claims he was put off and would have delivered a no ball as a result. On the other hand if it happens too often the umpires can step in and award penalty runs.

Going on along the lines of that last point, I'd love to see umpires awarding penalty runs more often. For slow over rates, even.

And I'll end with a question.

When a batsman scores runs as a result of an overthrow, what does his spider graph show? Does it show five runs to mid on, or does it show the eventual boundary past a hapless third man?

Stil

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
Hi all,

I'm from a part of the world that doesn't play cricket, but I've taken interest in the sport anyway. I have some hardcore newb questions:

Isn't it dangerous for the bowler to be out there with no helmet? Aren't they at risk of getting struck in the head with the ball from close range after their delivery? The "silly" positions wear helmets and gloves, yet the bowler seems just about as close to the batsman?

Do you reckon test scores might start to rise as players get more comfortable batting aggressively from T20? I.e., a long-term evolution over the years and decades. Not that they're going to play a test match like a T20 game, but maybe just feel more comfortable trying to score runs?

Why do they sometimes wear sweaters and sweater vests? Don't they get hot?

I understand that the condition of the pitch plays a big part in strategy. Yet, in this day and age, couldn't the groundskeeper make the pitch however the home team prefers?

Akshay.

National Board President
India
Mumbai Indians
Champions League Winner
Profile Flag
India
Why do they sometimes wear sweaters and sweater vests? Don't they get hot?

I understand that the condition of the pitch plays a big part in strategy. Yet, in this day and age, couldn't the groundskeeper make the pitch however the home team prefers?

Cricketers wear sweater vests only when matches are played in cool weather like in England and cricketers don't have to run much like in football so they need vests to keep warm

Also, home teams prepare pitches which suits them
Like in subcontinent there are spinning tracks, there are seaming tracks in England and New Zealand which prefers their fast swinging bowlers, pacy tracks in Australia with lots of bounce

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Isn't it dangerous for the bowler to be out there with no helmet? Aren't they at risk of getting struck in the head with the ball from close range after their delivery? The "silly" positions wear helmets and gloves, yet the bowler seems just about as close to the batsman?
It wouldn't be comfortable for a bowler to bowl with a helmet on. Unfortunately it's a risk that must be taken.
Do you reckon test scores might start to rise as players get more comfortable batting aggressively from T20?
They've already started.
That happens quite a lot recently, however a new rule was implemented in the English County Championship this year, which allows the visiting captain to bowl first if he pleases to do so, to make pitches more even.
By the way, where are you exactly from?

Stil

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
By the way, where are you exactly from?

I'm from the USA. I studied abroad in England for a year in college and took interest in cricket while there. Two of my friends played for the university team and taught me how to play (sort of...I had trouble not bending my elbow when attempting to bowl...).

Back home in America, I have to settle for watching match replays on Youtube and the Don Bradman video game ;)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
If a curator doesn't make a pitch to favor the home team I'd be rather suspicious...[DOUBLEPOST=1467014163][/DOUBLEPOST]Also...remember cricket is played throughout the world. For me in the west indies...26 degrees Celsius is way cold...these guys are playing in 10 and lower...sweaters are almost essential.

Stil

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
If a stump is strongly dislodged, does it ever rip up the hole so that the hole is too loose to put the stump back properly?

10slide1.jpg

In the above image, for example, it looks like some work might be needed on the middle stump hole, lest the stump be too loose due to the hole having widened.

Or is this not really an issue?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If a stump is strongly dislodged, does it ever rip up the hole so that the hole is too loose to put the stump back properly?

Or is this not really an issue?
It's a huge pain in local club cricket. You get holes with wrong sizes for the stumps and all sorts. Then you always seem to find some that are a bit too close together to fit the bails on perfectly. I used to find sometimes that you'd have one stump being quite loose in the ground, but the bails almost support it enough to keep it up.

It's basically just a case of trying to stick as much dirt around the hole as possible and do all you can. I imagine it's not as big an issue in professional cricket though, because the pitches will be harder and they're always done professionally.

Users who are viewing this thread