Your Cricket New to hard ball cricket.

jewelthief

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello,

I am 32 years old immigrant in New Zealand from Pakistan. As the new cricket season is starting here in NZ so I decided to play cricket. I am a reasonable batsman (or thats what I think at least) but almost all of cricket that I have played is with tennis ball back in Pakistan.

Anyway I decided to try my luck in a warm up match (Yeah...Not practice) which was being played on a cemented and matted wicket. Before my turn in the batting, I thought it would be easy and I will at least rotate the strike but to my surprise I couldn't even middle a single ball even to the spinners. I stayed there for 20 balls in which almost 10 were completely missed. From rest of the 10 balls, I nicked three catches to slips (which were dropped :D) finally getting caught behind on the fourth nick.

Although It was my first experience with proper hard ball cricket in many years but I couldn't believe that how bad I played. It was utmost embarrassment. Even the balls that were coming straight and on which I thought I would straight drive them easily, were going to square leg after hitting the bat. I was like What the hell.....

Is it that hard to switch from tennis ball to hard ball cricket? What were your experiences?

My reflection:
1) I should buy a cricket gear of my own as the friend's cricket I used was bigger in size which is why I was not comfortable probably.
2) I am not good enough to bat although this will break my heart.

OR am I just another Pakistani batsman? :facepalm

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hello,

I am 32 years old immigrant in New Zealand from Pakistan. As the new cricket season is starting here in NZ so I decided to play cricket. I am a reasonable batsman (or thats what I think at least) but almost all of cricket that I have played is with tennis ball back in Pakistan.

Anyway I decided to try my luck in a warm up match (Yeah...Not practice) which was being played on a cemented and matted wicket. Before my turn in the batting, I thought it would be easy and I will at least rotate the strike but to my surprise I couldn't even middle a single ball even to the spinners. I stayed there for 20 balls in which almost 10 were completely missed. From rest of the 10 balls, I nicked three catches to slips (which were dropped :D) finally getting caught behind on the fourth nick.

Although It was my first experience with proper hard ball cricket in many years but I couldn't believe that how bad I played. It was utmost embarrassment. Even the balls that were coming straight and on which I thought I would straight drive them easily, were going to square leg after hitting the bat. I was like What the hell.....

Is it that hard to switch from tennis ball to hard ball cricket? What were your experiences?

My reflection:
1) I should buy a cricket gear of my own as the friend's cricket I used was bigger in size which is why I was not comfortable probably.
2) I am not good enough to bat although this will break my heart.

OR am I just another Pakistani batsman? :facepalm
It is not that difficult as you assume to be. If you are good timer of the ball & if you can gap the ball well with a tennis ball then it shouldn't be that difficult. I have played almost 80+ games with the tennis and 10+ matches with the season ball. I was playing with tennis ball and was invited to play with the season ball and obviously I was too nervous. Being an opener I always had to face the new ball.

It wasn't that difficult for me actually. The only thing which probably changed my mindset was the gear which I hadn't used it before... Once you are feeling comfortable with the gear then most probable you'll play much, much better.

jewelthief

School Cricketer
It is not that difficult as you assume to be. If you are good timer of the ball & if you can gap the ball well with a tennis ball then it shouldn't be that difficult. I have played almost 80+ games with the tennis and 10+ matches with the season ball. I was playing with tennis ball and was invited to play with the season ball and obviously I was too nervous. Being an opener I always had to face the new ball.

It wasn't that difficult for me actually. The only thing which probably changed my mindset was the gear which I hadn't used it before... Once you are feeling comfortable with the gear then most probable you'll play much, much better.

Right. Probably the zip off the matted cemented pitch was causing me trouble because I did practice yesterday on turf and it was much better. I was at least middling the ball though I need to work on my technique a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread