Retro, Historical and ATB teams

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'll agree that great strides have been made with regards the options available in this game when it comes to recreating kits. The thing I can't understand is why they removed options from DBC14 that, combined with the new features, would have made this part of the game near perfect.

The jumpers, vests and long sleeves thing has been much discussed before but my particular issue is with headgear. In DBC14 we had the option of giving a player a headwear in team colours (which is fine for the vast majority of players) or we could could assign individual colours to a particular player's gear. This was brilliant for the historical aspect of the game in particular as you could recreate iconic players much more accurately. You could give WG Grace his hooped cap in MCC colours; Clive Lloyd and Jack Russell's white bucket hats; Dennis Lillee's gold headband etc. All we were missing was Geoff Boycott's backwards cap.

Ok, individual colours did cause a few problems in DB14, particularly when it came to downloaded players - It was frustrating to get three years into a career only to find your Test opening partner would be wearing his one-day pads for next 17 years - but that problem has been mitigated anyway by the fact that you can now make changes to in-career players with the Academy.

My other issue is with the batting headgear. In DBC17 the only option we have for pre-helmet players is the baggy cap. This means no wide-brimmed sun hat for Richie Richardson; no cap for Jack Hobbs; no shiny bald head for Brian Close etc.

Ok, none of these things are deal-breakers and DBC17 is still a great (and getting better) cricket game but these are simple little things that the game is clearly already capable of and seemingly just need to activated to make the game even more immersive.

Just imagine playing a game where Ian Botham strides out to bat bare-headed, mullet flapping in the breeze, wearing a long-sleeved jumper with the England crest in the middle and swinging his Duncan Fearnley bat. At the crease he meets Graham Gooch with his big moustache, white, grille-less helmet and Stuart Surridge 333 bat. Little details that I think would push the game to another level.

couldn't agree more.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'll agree that great strides have been made with regards the options available in this game when it comes to recreating kits. The thing I can't understand is why they removed options from DBC14 that, combined with the new features, would have made this part of the game near perfect.

The jumpers, vests and long sleeves thing has been much discussed before but my particular issue is with headgear. In DBC14 we had the option of giving a player a headwear in team colours (which is fine for the vast majority of players) or we could could assign individual colours to a particular player's gear. This was brilliant for the historical aspect of the game in particular as you could recreate iconic players much more accurately. You could give WG Grace his hooped cap in MCC colours; Clive Lloyd and Jack Russell's white bucket hats; Dennis Lillee's gold headband etc. All we were missing was Geoff Boycott's backwards cap.

Ok, individual colours did cause a few problems in DB14, particularly when it came to downloaded players - It was frustrating to get three years into a career only to find your Test opening partner would be wearing his one-day pads for next 17 years - but that problem has been mitigated anyway by the fact that you can now make changes to in-career players with the Academy.

My other issue is with the batting headgear. In DBC17 the only option we have for pre-helmet players is the baggy cap. This means no wide-brimmed sun hat for Richie Richardson; no cap for Jack Hobbs; no shiny bald head for Brian Close etc.

Ok, none of these things are deal-breakers and DBC17 is still a great (and getting better) cricket game but these are simple little things that the game is clearly already capable of and seemingly just need to activated to make the game even more immersive.

Just imagine playing a game where Ian Botham strides out to bat bare-headed, mullet flapping in the breeze, wearing a long-sleeved jumper with the England crest in the middle and swinging his Duncan Fearnley bat. At the crease he meets Graham Gooch with his big moustache, white, grille-less helmet and Stuart Surridge 333 bat. Little details that I think would push the game to another level.
Fantastic post summarising everything that would transform this game into pure greatness.

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah it's a massive let down that these things weren't carried over as well as how barebones the competition creator. But hey the loudest people wanted stupid shit like helicopter shots, grass textures and career mode stuff so it's what we got. I can't understand how you can make a cricket game and ignore vests

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I just found @inertSpark has done the retro ACB 2 batsman logo... I am so happy :) some other genius who's name i can't see on ps4 did the same in green & yellow too. i have nabbed both :)

I've made an edited version of the inertSpark one (hope you don't mind) with the colour changed to green for Aussie shirts.

I've got some editing of player skills, links, bats & lineups to do but i've put together all the squads for the following:

• 1980/81 Australia - covers the Centenary Test at Lords & 2 ODIs of 1980, plus Botham's Ashes & ODIs 1981. This squad uses the ACB logos mentioned above.
  • 1980/81 England - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs West Indies 1980 & 81, Centenary Test & ODIs vs Aus 1980, plus Botham's Ashes & ODIs 1981. This squad uses @Llewelynf England 3 lions logo for identity, and his wonderful TCCB Lion and stumps for the shirts.
  • 1980/81 West Indies - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs England 1980 & 81. This squad uses the pre-99 logo I made by editing the current WI llewelynf logo.
  • 1981/82 England - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs India 1981 & 82, away Test & ODIs vs Sri Lanka 1982, & home Tests & ODIs vs Pakistan 1982. Same deal with logos as above.
  • 1981/82 India - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs England 1981 & 82. logo is @Llewelynf India Logo
  • 1982 Sri Lanka - covers home ODIs & Test (their first ever test) vs England 1982. logo is @Llewelynf Sri Lanka Logo
  • 1982 Pakistan - covers away ODIs & Tests vs England 1982. logo is @Llewelynf Pakistan Logo
All teams also contain players and bats from lots of different creators.

Although they all require some more work I've added them to server as is. The squads are all complete in terms of player lists. I've not yet added stadiums to any of the teams. The names on the server are as listed above. my academy user name is mrdconnors

I will be adding more 80s squads to cover England home and away matches/tours (probably excluding world cups) in due course.

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I just found @inertSpark has done the retro ACB 2 batsman logo... I am so happy :) some other genius who's name i can't see on ps4 did the same in green & yellow too. i have nabbed both :)

I've made an edited version of the inertSpark one (hope you don't mind) with the colour changed to green for Aussie shirts.

I've got some editing of player skills, links, bats & lineups to do but i've put together all the squads for the following:

• 1980/81 Australia - covers the Centenary Test at Lords & 2 ODIs of 1980, plus Botham's Ashes & ODIs 1981. This squad uses the ACB logos mentioned above.
  • 1980/81 England - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs West Indies 1980 & 81, Centenary Test & ODIs vs Aus 1980, plus Botham's Ashes & ODIs 1981. This squad uses @Llewelynf England 3 lions logo for identity, and his wonderful TCCB Lion and stumps for the shirts.
  • 1980/81 West Indies - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs England 1980 & 81. This squad uses the pre-99 logo I made by editing the current WI llewelynf logo.
  • 1981/82 England - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs India 1981 & 82, away Test & ODIs vs Sri Lanka 1982, & home Tests & ODIs vs Pakistan 1982. Same deal with logos as above.
  • 1981/82 India - covers home & away Tests & ODIs vs England 1981 & 82. logo is @Llewelynf India Logo
  • 1982 Sri Lanka - covers home ODIs & Test (their first ever test) vs England 1982. logo is @Llewelynf Sri Lanka Logo
  • 1982 Pakistan - covers away ODIs & Tests vs England 1982. logo is @Llewelynf Pakistan Logo
All teams also contain players and bats from lots of different creators.

Although they all require some more work I've added them to server as is. The squads are all complete in terms of player lists. I've not yet added stadiums to any of the teams. The names on the server are as listed above. my academy user name is mrdconnors

I will be adding more 80s squads to cover England home and away matches/tours (probably excluding world cups) in due course.
That was me I requested it from inertSpark he did the green and yellow one and I changed it to navy blue it took me ages to actually find a decent pic of it I think we have the same amount of love for that era of cricket cheers blocker

psychoherent

Club Cricketer
Seeing as this is as good a place to find knowledgeable cricket nerds as any on the internet, please weigh in guys- Clive Rice or Franklin Stephenson- best player never to play a test? I'm editing a few stats and I want my on disc players to be as faithful as possible to "reality".

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Seeing as this is as good a place to find knowledgeable cricket nerds as any on the internet, please weigh in guys- Clive Rice or Franklin Stephenson- best player never to play a test? I'm editing a few stats and I want my on disc players to be as faithful as possible to "reality".
Rice would be my pick

psychoherent

Club Cricketer
Rice would be my pick
Yeah its neck and neck for me- Stephenson was probably the better bowler, Rice the batsman. I reckon he'd have been the batsman equivalent to Hadlee in the 4 great allrounders of the 80s- arguably the best at batting, probably the weakest at bowling.

psychoherent

Club Cricketer
Rice would edge it for me too. And as you say the best batsman of the great all rounders of the 70s/80s.
Weakest bowler by some distance though. His bowling and Hadlee's batting are kinda on par for me- probably closer to useful than spearhead.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Not sure i agree he was the weakest bowler "by some distance" and I think his bowling was better than hadlees batting.

930 first class wickets at 22!

Users who are viewing this thread