Steam update for DBC17 released

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Glad you appreciate them! Worth doing a bit of housekeeping first mate I've noticed a few discrepancies such as left arm spinners being set as chinamen. am fixing as I go and will be resharing shortly with lineups / logos etc.
@blockerdave I've made a few adjustments mainly to the lineups (which I know you haven't done yet) and a couple of tweaks to appearance. Sri Lanka seem to be a little more overpowered than I remember them in 1982 but, overall, I'm fine with the way you've set up the sides and looking forward to future refinements. It's great to be playing with these teams. It is an era that I have fond memories of. It would be nice if we could fully emulate the period with more authentic headgear options and screen overlays.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@blockerdave I've made a few adjustments mainly to the lineups (which I know you haven't done yet) and a couple of tweaks to appearance. Sri Lanka seem to be a little more overpowered than I remember them in 1982 but, overall, I'm fine with the way you've set up the sides and looking forward to future refinements. It's great to be playing with these teams. It is an era that I have fond memories of. It would be nice if we could fully emulate the period with more authentic headgear options and screen overlays.

i've requested customisable overlays for any next game... i'd love to play these with the old BBC overlay!

AnkitC

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Had a look at the wickets from the stream and I could not locate any issue with @wasteyouryouth 's bowling.

So, here's a question to the users not facing the Batpad issue, do you guys always have a silly mid on in place ( not Forward Short Leg) ? I ask this because as is evident, AI's shot selection & execution is greatly affected by the field placements.

And since I always have a Forward Short Leg in place, the AI plays this hoick through the on side successfully everytime and ball goes through the space exactly where the Silly Mid On stands, through the mid wicket region. But with the Silly Mid On in place, in order to find the gap it seems AI overcompensates and tries to hit the ball in the square leggish direction instead of the mid wicket and hits the pad. And although it may seem like an edge, these are not edges, the AI middles these deliveries.

This is all I could make out of the stream and my personal experience. I am not sure how the Devs are going to fix this. Maybe a simple check to not include this particular shot in the possible shots list when the Silly Mid On is in place, since the proper fix might take long and may not be feasible at the moment.

For the users, for now I think we can totally avoid the situation by using a Forward Short Leg instead of a Silly Mid On. I'm pretty sure the real edges would be caught like in one of the videos I had posted earlier.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPY9_qwyxTXK-juTftGxrIDVuBPiJTo7e Here's the entire innings. Wickets start from about 4:35 on video 2. Fall of wickets below if you want to skip through.

n5sLHnY.jpg

Last edited:

AnkitC

International Coach
@Spoobir @Langeveldt @wasteyouryouth Since you guys are primarily affected by the bug. Please have a look at my previous post. Try using a Forward Short Leg in an Innings instead of a Silly Mid On and let us know the results.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@Spoobir @Langeveldt @wasteyouryouth Since you guys are primarily affected by the bug. Please have a look at my previous post. Try using a Forward Short Leg in an Innings instead of a Silly Mid On and let us know the results..
When you say the AI plays this shot successfully do you mean without hitting it onto the pad? Because when I'm playing there are still plenty of these bat pad hoicks whether there's a silly mid on or not.

I'm going to try on the default Hard setting tomorrow and see how it goes.

AnkitC

International Coach
When you say the AI plays this shot successfully do you mean without hitting it onto the pad? Because when I'm playing there are still plenty of these bat pad hoicks whether there's a silly mid on or not.

I'm going to try on the default Hard setting tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yes. It plays it successfully without hitting the pads and the ball goes racing through the mid wicket region. It's an attacking shot.

Also noticed that on the last delivery of the 10th over the AI hits the same old hoick onto the pads but against a fast bowler. If you closely notice there's man covering the mid wicket region, and because it's an attacking shot the AI tries to find the gap and in order to avoid the fielder at mid wicket tries to hit the ball more towards the square leg region which again results in the same issue.

AnkitC

International Coach
Here's the video of the same shot causing the problem of batpads. But with a Forward Short Leg in place, the AI hits it perfectly into the gap. This is one of AI's pressure release shots.

The problem is with the angle. With the Silly Mid On in place the batsman tries to hit at an angle which is absolutely invalid considering the position the batsman is in(bit of lazy coding ,eh?). Can't even be considered as a boundary case. Anyway, if the permissible angle of the shot is modified a bit the probem could be solved completely.

gang_s

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I played a few matches(ODI and T20) on both Veteran and Pro over the weekend. I noticed the AI running is very timid. They never push for an extra run. There was no close call or any remote chance of a run-out.

I hope this can be tweaked somehow, before the patches are finalized.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I played a few matches(ODI and T20) on both Veteran and Pro over the weekend. I noticed the AI running is very timid. They never push for an extra run. There was no close call or any remote chance of a run-out.

I hope this can be tweaked somehow, before the patches are finalized.

Yep, I've been looking at all of the scorecards for the games being played throughout this thread and the run-outs or lack of them is almost as much an issue as the other two majors - not quite enough bowleds or LBW's (proportionally) and the silly mid-on problem (it's not really a straight bat-pad problem as the off-side is fine).

I guess there needs to be some collection of reasons that the AI might push for an extra run, maybe these two and more:

Limited over run rate required.
Speed and stamina of calling player thinking it's partner has enough speed to make it.
Batsmans judgement being linked to fatigue.
Non-striker running up too fast and creating the idea a run's on for the striker.
Not many wickets have fallen and the batsman is more confident of the teams position etc.

Other factors that could cause a run out to happen:

Quality and speed of throw by user timing and releasing throw so well.
Fielder attributes causing a much better throw than even timing and release of throw.

Of course there'd need to be some reasons why a batsman is being normal to cautious and play sensibly or else all of a sudden run-outs would dominate the scorecard. Ones like:

A batsman is just starting out and wants to play cautious and only take what's on.
Is nearing a milestone (is in the high 40's not out or is in the 90's - even then it still should be possible).
Many wickets have fallen.

In any case there needs to be more proportionally as per LBW's and bowleds (although those seem fine to spin from what I'm seeing).

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Yep, I've been looking at all of the scorecards for the games being played throughout this thread and the run-outs or lack of them is almost as much an issue as the other two majors - not quite enough bowleds or LBW's (proportionally) and the silly mid-on problem (it's not really a straight bat-pad problem as the off-side is fine).

I guess there needs to be some collection of reasons that the AI might push for an extra run, maybe these two and more:

Limited over run rate required.
Speed and stamina of calling player thinking it's partner has enough speed to make it.
Batsmans judgement being linked to fatigue.
Non-striker running up too fast and creating the idea a run's on for the striker.
Not many wickets have fallen and the batsman is more confident of the teams position etc.

Other factors that could cause a run out to happen:

Quality and speed of throw by user timing and releasing throw so well.
Fielder attributes causing a much better throw than even timing and release of throw.

Of course there'd need to be some reasons why a batsman is being normal to cautious and play sensibly or else all of a sudden run-outs would dominate the scorecard. Ones like:

A batsman is just starting out and wants to play cautious and only take what's on.
Is nearing a milestone (is in the high 40's not out or is in the 90's - even then it still should be possible).
Many wickets have fallen.

In any case there needs to be more proportionally as per LBW's and bowleds (although those seem fine to spin from what I'm seeing).
I've had a lot of run outs, particularly in T20, in comparison to '14 where I probably had five in my entire time playing it. There are some crazy instances where they end up dancing around the middle of the pitch not knowing which way to go but that at least feels realistic, even though it can look a little silly.

More chances would be nice, particularly towards the end of innings when chasing or pushing for extra runs. There are a lot of occasions where two is possible and they settle for one. I think I had one match where they needed 3 off the last ball and settled for one. In that instance there was at least a 50/50 chance of 2 which would have meant a super over.

I'm not sure how you do it without throwing the balance off entirely. I know the throwing can be a little irritating (the loopy throws) but I'm not sure if that is a gameplay quirk, down to skills or quality/timing of user input when throwing.

gang_s

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've had a lot of run outs, particularly in T20, in comparison to '14 where I probably had five in my entire time playing it. There are some crazy instances where they end up dancing around the middle of the pitch not knowing which way to go but that at least feels realistic, even though it can look a little silly.

More chances would be nice, particularly towards the end of innings when chasing or pushing for extra runs. There are a lot of occasions where two is possible and they settle for one. I think I had one match where they needed 3 off the last ball and settled for one. In that instance there was at least a 50/50 chance of 2 which would have meant a super over.

I'm not sure how you do it without throwing the balance off entirely. I know the throwing can be a little irritating (the loopy throws) but I'm not sure if that is a gameplay quirk, down to skills or quality/timing of user input when throwing.

I've had none, and it never even seemed likely. I use semi-assisted fielding and while there were some loopy throws, there was never a scenario where a direct hit would have caused trouble.

Is this affected by difficulty?

Mondy

Club Captain
Has there been official word that the patches for PC have come to an end? Is the Beta group still beta-ing?

I ask because of the batpad issue. Dollars to doughnuts the moment patch 4 is released on console this will become the big issue.

psychoherent

Club Cricketer
Ok so re the bat pads- anyone think a slider for bounce off pads might help with the issue? This gives one the option to turn it down and tweak it a bit so hopefully there isnt a surfeit of bat pads?

Users who are viewing this thread