11th and 12th team to get Test status: Afghanistan and Ireland

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The question about the development of talent is still a real question for Ireland though - the team they have now isn't as good as the one that they had a few years ago, and while they still do very well in the Intercontinental Cup; in the shorter forms of the game Scotland and the Netherlands are competitive with them - indeed, I'd argue that both of those teams are almost at the level of Afghanistan and are still making positive strides. Ireland have blamed their recent underperformance in one day and T20 games on focusing on getting Test status; it will be interesting to see if that change in status means that they once again start focusing more broadly.

Also: this really opens the question of the ICC needing to define exactly what you need to gain Full Member status - because in the case of Ireland very little has changed in recent years (since they set up the Interprovincial Competition and that was a few years ago now); so why are they suddenly test standard now, and not two years ago? My solution would be to abolish the whole concept of status and let everyone in on the fun - but if that isn't possible, we need a concrete idea of what a country needs to have in order to be considered for Full Membership; which would make the next step much easier for countries that are increasingly close to the standard of play on the field needed - like Scotland and the Netherlands who've recently beaten Full Members in One Day matches (in Scotland's case, the only thing that prevented the victory against Sri Lanka from being an ODI was the ground that they played at; and the Netherlands beat Zimbabwe in an ODI). Below that I don't think that Scotland entirely has the infrastructure to be a major international nation at this point - plenty of good grounds, just none really designed for paid crowds to come and watch - plus we don't really have a domestic structure above Club Cricket at this point to satisfy the ICC, there's the North Sea thing with the Dutch but that's really about it.

Fake Passport

Mafia Mogul
Also: this really opens the question of the ICC needing to define exactly what you need to gain Full Member status - because in the case of Ireland very little has changed in recent years (since they set up the Interprovincial Competition and that was a few years ago now); so why are they suddenly test standard now, and not two years ago?

At affiliate and associate level it's actually quite specific about what you need to achieve. Full level is concerned mainly about the ability and longevity of the team and a little more ambiguous. If your interested:

http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cms/media/about_docs/518a796c9db55-Full%20Membership%20Criteria.pdf

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Affiliate membership doesn't exist anymore though - and practically there never was a difference - Afghanistan were affiliates until like three years ago.

AdelaideStrikersFan1984

School Cricketer
It may be the cynic in me but I've believed Ireland should've been given Test status a while ago now and it seems convenient they've finally got it while the Asian Bloc solidifies its power base with the inclusion of Afghanistan. Hopefully it will also stop the flow of Irish talent from going east of the Irish Sea into the English county system and making them eligible for England.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Affiliate membership doesn't exist anymore though - and practically there never was a difference - Afghanistan were affiliates until like three years ago.

Afghanistan is a side that has improved heaps and bounds. Credit goes to the players and the management. They have been one of the few sides that have come into cricket as an aggressive side and the dividends are showing. I really hope they get to play at least 5-6 Tests a year to fully utilise this promotion.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It may be the cynic in me but I've believed Ireland should've been given Test status a while ago now and it seems convenient they've finally got it while the Asian Bloc solidifies its power base with the inclusion of Afghanistan. Hopefully it will also stop the flow of Irish talent from going east of the Irish Sea into the English county system and making them eligible for England.

I feel the debate might have been that Ireland won't have teams to play and hence this status took a little time. With both sides getting the status, its would really beneficial for them to have a test series - although I feel the Irish have the strength to beat the Afghans

Users who are viewing this thread