Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm into php + mysql, if anyone needs help, hit me up. Anyone else into php+mysql?
Me. I have some basic knowledge on SQL Database. :)

hardik85

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I'm into php + mysql, if anyone needs help, hit me up. Anyone else into php+mysql?

I'm currently learning CSS. Next is JavaScript and then PHP. How hard is PHP for a person with non-programming background?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm currently learning CSS. Next is JavaScript and then PHP. How hard is PHP for a person with non-programming background?
It's hard to tell really because I feel it's subjective. Learning the syntax is one part of it. But implementing the logic is a different ball game.

Programming isn't for everyone. If one is getting into it just because others are doing it or because you feel it's very lucrative and not really WANT to do it, then more often than not you will fail. That's perhaps is also the reason why you see so many people being critical of it terming it as mundane, boring or unsatisfactory. That's because they are into it not by choice but by influence of others.

If you ask me, i found it to be the easiest to learn followed by C# and Java. But that could be just me.

hardik85

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
It's hard to tell really because I feel it's subjective. Learning the syntax is one part of it. But implementing the logic is a different ball game.

Programming isn't for everyone. If one is getting into it just because others are doing it or because you feel it's very lucrative and not really WANT to do it, then more often than not you will fail. That's perhaps is also the reason why you see so many people being critical of it terming it as mundane, boring or unsatisfactory. That's because they are into it not by choice but by influence of others.

If you ask me, i found it to be the easiest to learn followed by C# and Java. But that could be just me.

I have good knowledge of wordpress. My main motive behind learning html, css, javascript and php is to develop wordpress themes and plugins and to customize wordpress themes.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Basics of php, like any other programming language isn't hard to learn, besides, you can always get help online so easily nowadays if you're stuck somewhere.

I feel, Programming means understanding "what to do", rather than "how to do it". If you're clear what you're trying to achieve, it becomes very easy to get the syntax correct.

I learnt C++ in school, and that's all the programming knowledge I had, before I started working on an ASP website, and eventually, moved to php.

I really want to learn python or Ruby, because that's the next big thing, but don't think I have the time now.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
One more right here. Add Javascript, jQuery and AngularJS to the list too.

I'm very poor with Ajax, and despite my regular need of ajax, I've never managed to get a hang of it properly.
I guess I never regarded javascript useful enough. Big folly. :(

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I really want to learn python or Ruby, because that's the next big thing, but don't think I have the time now.
I'm not so sure about. Sure, they are great and fierce competitors of PHP but haven't they been in business long enough to have already been "the next big thing"? I rather feel Big Data and IoT to be the next big things.

I guess I never regarded javascript useful enough.
Well, one thing I can tell for sure is Javascript is the de facto thing in web development right now. With the emphasis on fast retrieval of data in this day and age, a lot of it is being stored/cached client side thereby increasing the UX of the application. With the advent of frameworks like AngularJS/NodeJS/React etc. there is no doubt that javascript cannot and should not be ignored and it is here to stay.

I'm very poor with Ajax, and despite my regular need of ajax, I've never managed to get a hang of it properly.
I'm surprised by this really. It shouldn't really be a problem because the whole process involves about 4-5 steps/stages and it's basically about sending data asynchronously. If you use jQuery, you wouldn't even have to dig much deep as it involves knowing just the URL of the service being called, the data to be sent and what to do with the response.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
JSP - JQuery - AJAX - Java(Spring Framework + Hibernate) works for me

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm not so sure about. Sure, they are great and fierce competitors of PHP but haven't they been in business long enough to have already been "the next big thing"? I rather feel Big Data and IoT to be the next big things.

Well, one thing I can tell for sure is Javascript is the de facto thing in web development right now. With the emphasis on fast retrieval of data in this day and age, a lot of it is being stored/cached client side thereby increasing the UX of the application. With the advent of frameworks like AngularJS/NodeJS/React etc. there is no doubt that javascript cannot and should not be ignored and it is here to stay.

I'm surprised by this really. It shouldn't really be a problem because the whole process involves about 4-5 steps/stages and it's basically about sending data asynchronously. If you use jQuery, you wouldn't even have to dig much deep as it involves knowing just the URL of the service being called, the data to be sent and what to do with the response.

python can be included in a "next big thing" because it has so many applications in machine learning and scripting smart contracts in a blockchain (although it is by no means the only or main language for either of those) as well as scripting for web and games.

i am entirely self-taught, but i know html, css and (limited) jQuery for client-side and c# and sql server for server-side, and JSON as well for data handling. recently i built a full c# / JSON API for something I was doing and it's one of my proudest coding accomplishments

i also have my own vm farm on azure.

if i had time i would learn python.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
python can be included in a "next big thing" because it has so many applications in machine learning and scripting smart contracts in a blockchain (although it is by no means the only or main language for either of those) as well as scripting for web and games.
Can't disagree with that. But my point was that for a thing to be considered as the "next big thing", it should be a relatively newer technology, something that got released a year or two ago. The USP should be that it's new and has huge potential (with emphasis on new).

Users who are viewing this thread