Ashes Cricket General Discussion

adibr97

Club Cricketer
Travis Head's style looks differentiable as well compared to the rest, higher backlift and whatnot (maybe given the same style as Smith?)

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
In the game IGN uploaded today.

I was about to ask the same ? Also looks like bowling 6 yorkers am over seams very easy and effective way to keep the opponent from scoring.

@BigAntStudios Is this impression true ?
I'd say reliably bowling 166kph yorkers is an effective way to keep opponents scoring in real life though ;)

It's what can you do to program in enough variability to make it difficult to pull off 6 balls in an over. That's the tricky part :)

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mo-Cap work is working magic! This is just a start. Hopefully, one day all teams will have mo-cap done like this. BigAnt has taken the game in a really good direction!

zerosun9

Club Cricketer
Biggest issue for me is the speeds not aligning with the balls bowled. Surely if there was an acccurate physics model then 165kph would look like 165kph? Some balls are showing 140-150 and look 120-130 at best.

Bowling 150-155 should be the EXTREME case only a few bowlers can hit. There aren't many today who can hit that. Adding 15kph to that is pretty insane. Starc's ball that supposedly clocked at 160 at the WACA would have almost gone over the boundary on the full.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Biggest issue for me is the speeds not aligning with the balls bowled. Surely if there was an acccurate physics model then 165kph would look like 165kph? Some balls are showing 140-150 and look 120-130 at best.

Bowling 150-155 should be the EXTREME case only a few bowlers can hit. There aren't many today who can hit that. Adding 15kph to that is pretty insane. Starc's ball that supposedly clocked at 160 at the WACA would have almost gone over the boundary on the full.

I did raise this point back in DBC 17 days. A 160 km/h travels 44m/s or the length of the wicket in about 0.45s. I get that this is meant to be a game, and not a cricket simulation (something important to keep in mind), physics is physics so either adjust the scaling on the speed marker, or increase the speed of the ball through the air.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Watched the IGN video. It's difficult to judge the gameplay until I've played it myself. And I know that's a pre-release not the final version. So here's a few thoughts in general.

Negatives:
The bowling speeds, as mentioned by others. They are a minor irritation to me. Taking the speed gun off the hud would be a nice option.
Jake Ball is Fast Medium not Medium (also, not sure from that video, but still no RMF?)
I hope the AI field settings (appropriate fields not them changing every delivery) are a little better than what I saw in the video - DBC 17 really went a long way to solve that.

Positives:
The HUD.
The field radar. While I love the old system of looking around (is that still there?), I can definitely see the advantages of having the radar - particularly when bowling.
The new control system. Especially being able to mix and match bowling and batting.
The five wicket match (is that new or I have just not noticed it before?).
The batting animations look fantastic as does the little bit of variety that is brought to the bowler animations. Variety is nice.
The licensed bats and in particular the helmets. I hope we can set those to custom players.
Fielding looks better, particularly those infield throws.
Mel Jones and Michael Slater comms - what I heard anyway. I hope I can select to only roate those two (sorry James Taylor).
The faces look fantastic. I think the English players look better - maybe just because I'm more familiar with them.
The handsome umpires.

Since the game was announced I was never expecting a revolutionary change from DBC 17 more of an evolution even that just means slight improvements to the AI and gameplay. With those in tandem with the improved presentation of the game (it looks great) it's an exciting time to be a cricketing gamer. Thanks @BigAntStudios

Now just need that Steam release date...

Last edited:

Danial Hamdani

School Cricketer
Watched the IGN video. It's difficult to judge the gameplay until I've played it myself. And I know that's a pre-release not the final version. So here's a few thoughts in general.

Negatives:
The bowling speeds, as mentioned by others. They are a minor irritation to me. Taking the speed gun off the hud would be a nice option.
Jake Ball is Fast Medium not Medium (also, not sure from that video, but still no RMF?)
I hope the AI field settings (appropriate fields not them changing every delivery) are a little better than what I saw in the video - DBC 17 really went a long way to solve that.

Positives:
The HUD.
The field radar. While I love the old system of looking around (is that still there?), I can definitely see the advantages of having the radar - particularly when bowling.
The new control system. Especially being able to mix and match bowling and batting.
The five wicket match (is that new or I have just not noticed it before?).
The batting animations look fantastic as does the little bit of variety that is brought to the bowler animations. Variety is nice.
The licensed bats and in particular the helmets. I hope we can set those to custom players.
Fielding looks better, particularly those infield throws.
Mel Jones and Michael Slater comms - what I heard anyway. I hope I can select to only those two to rotate (sorry James Taylor).
The faces look fantastic. I think the English players look better - maybe just because I'm more familiar with them.
The handsome umpires.

Since the game was announced I was never expecting a revolutionary change from DBC 17 more of an evolution even that just means slight improvements to the AI and gameplay. With those in tandem with the improved presentation of the game (it looks great) it's an exciting time to be a cricketing gamer. Thanks @BigAntStudios

Now just need that Steam release date...
yeah looking forward for steam release as soon as possible

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
IGN footage looks good, although while he is bad calling Ball a medium pacer is a tad harsh haha

Also the new leggie action looks great[/QUOTE
Where are you guys watching the ign footage

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am so amazed by the mo cap, people here have mentioned Smith's mo cap magic, but the cover drive by Maxi and the follow through by Starc, were equally magical.... Felt as if I was watching a real match for a moment...

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That IGN footage Steve Smith looks f*%king magic, @BigAntStudios ...so smooth and really well done. Have a beer, that's some good stuff.
One shot of Smith's I really liked was his cover drive. His follow through on that shot is a lot different to other batsman because of the way Smith holds the bat. That mo cap shooting really allowed shots like Smith's cover drive to stand out.

The only major thing I would like to see improved so far is the fielding animations for the players. The batting animations and bowling animations look superb but the fielding animations still look a bit janky in comparison now. Things like a sideways flick when throwing the ball into the bowler breaks the realism and work that has been put into the game.

Chevo

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Felt as if I was watching a real match for a moment...

Night session of day one of the Adelaide test Nathan Lyon sending them down, Mathew wade behind the stumps saying nice Gary, the barmyarmy in the background, Slats commentating..boy oh boy bring it on :yes

Rob Stanworth

Club Captain
Why's Jonny Bairstow practicing left handed when they walk out on the IGN video? Is he just too good? (apologies if raised already!)

Users who are viewing this thread