Does every country really need a T20 league?

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
So I read a good article on cricketmonthly.

Link - http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1124714/are-t20-leagues-making-money

So basically apart from Indian Premier League all the other leagues are facing quite an amount of loss. The article mentions BBL has made a $33 million loss in its initial 5 year, BPL although it makes a modest profit each team lose $1- $1.5 million every year. PSL made a profit of about $2.5 but each team is losing $1 million each year. CPL is still not making any money and SA's T20 GL has already been postponed for next year. ECB is coming up with a T20 league from 2019-2020.

Do you think instead of that #33 million loss that money could have been invested into better cricketing infrastructure? Or actually helping upcoming nations?

What are your views?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Shadab Khan, Rumman Raees, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Usman Shinwari, Mohammad Asghar. All of them are either in the team or on the verge of it thanks to the PSL. It's not all about money. And the franchises know that they'll lose money for the first few years, but they also know that if they pump money into the league, it will turn profitable in a few years. Talking just about the PSL here.

S

Satan666

So I read a good article on cricketmonthly.

Link - http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1124714/are-t20-leagues-making-money

So basically apart from Indian Premier League all the other leagues are facing quite an amount of loss. The article mentions BBL has made a $33 million loss in its initial 5 year, BPL although it makes a modest profit each team lose $1- $1.5 million every year. PSL made a profit of about $2.5 but each team is losing $1 million each year. CPL is still not making any money and SA's T20 GL has already been postponed for next year. ECB is coming up with a T20 league from 2019-2020.

Do you think instead of that #33 million loss that money could have been invested into better cricketing infrastructure? Or actually helping upcoming nations?

What are your views?

Two underlying points:

1. It provides for fans of the game outside of the India to enjoy T20 cricket (yes cricket doesnt only revolve around India/Indians). International T20 cricket is rarely played
2. Only avenue to tap in a profit in cricket, though this hasnt been seen by the leagues, potential exists for eager investors.

With the CPL/BPL you have the opportunity to see Pakistani players in all their glory playing elsewhere. They dont figure as much in the BBL and they are not allowed into IPL.

That being said I personally loathe the fast food type T20 cricket and wish to see it eradicated from the face of earth, starting with the IPL!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Shadab Khan, Rumman Raees, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Usman Shinwari, Mohammad Asghar. All of them are either in the team or on the verge of it thanks to the PSL. It's not all about money. And the franchises know that they'll lose money for the first few years, but they also know that if they pump money into the league, it will turn profitable in a few years. Talking just about the PSL here.
Good perspective. I completely agree with that, lot of international players that are playing today have been found mostly in T20 leagues. Leaving IPL apart I think CPL and PSL are the only two entertaining league. I would love to see both the leagues being profitable PSL already is.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good perspective. I completely agree with that, lot of international players that are playing today have been found mostly in T20 leagues. Leaving IPL apart I think CPL and PSL are the only two entertaining league. I would love to see both the leagues being profitable PSL already is.

Annoyingly, all of PSL games are played in the UAE. The minute the games head back to Pakistan - we can expect a very large positive profit.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Annoyingly, all of PSL games are played in the UAE. The minute the games head back to Pakistan - we can expect a very large positive profit.
That is a hidden gem PSL has up its sleeves. I did not follow the PSL final in Lahore this year can you tell how many people came in? How much was the crowd?

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
That is a hidden gem PSL has up its sleeves. I did not follow the PSL final in Lahore this year can you tell how many people came in? How much was the crowd?

The response was unbelievable. If I remember correctly it was a sell-out, similar to the just finished SL game there. And not to forgot this is just one city and not even the largest one at that.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Only June and October are the two months, where there isn't a T20 league.

digiosmosis

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
But these leagues provides the help in hunting the fresh talents in the sport. Ashwin, Jadeja, Chahal, Bumrah, Pandya were identified from their performance in IPL.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
These T20 league gave young talent to show there talents to World and also gave chance to rediscover them self... these League help players (in big numbers) financially too...

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Without T20 leagues, Pandya and Chahal would not be noticed and not be in the team. At last Indian cricket has found a good batting all-rounder after Irfan Pathan. Without IPL it might've taken Pandya a few years to get into the team as his domestic stats aren't great either. T20 leagues are essential for a cricket board to build some revenue from, and to find some new talent. That's the way it is nowadays. Many players make their T20I debut, then work themselves up to the test level.

S

Satan666

Without T20 leagues, Pandya and Chahal would not be noticed and not be in the team. At last Indian cricket has found a good batting all-rounder after Irfan Pathan. Without IPL it might've taken Pandya a few years to get into the team as his domestic stats aren't great either. T20 leagues are essential for a cricket board to build some revenue from, and to find some new talent. That's the way it is nowadays. Many players make their T20I debut, then work themselves up to the test level.

Ironically test cricket quality has depreciated to an alltime low. A connection certainly!

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Ironically test cricket quality has depreciated to an alltime low. A connection certainly!
Definitely for sure. You see the effects T20 cricket being applied to Tests, with teams scoring over 4 or 5 rpo. That is not how Test cricket is played.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Well, TBH I find PSL most interesting shortly followed by BBL

Users who are viewing this thread