Ashes Cricket Review/Impression Thread

angad

Chairman of Consent
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ashes Cricket is the best cricket game I have played ever....period!!!

It's so vastly improved over DBC17 and its just remarkable how BigAntStudios has been able to bring it to this level in less than a year! Just unbelievable!

The game just feels right....something that I missed in DBC17. I feel I am able to do exactly what I want to do in the game, with the natural variations kicking in to ensure that the result is not always the same. However, when all those variables (that are totally controlled by the user's actions and reactions) do come together, you have that sense of satisfaction and achievement as you know that it was all 'you'. E.g. playing a square drive trying to pierce the gap between the Short Third Man and Point fielding positions, you just delay the shot just by a bit to get the placement correct! And when you do play it perfectly (with the lovely new animations kicking in) there is that sense of joy that you feel which I just can't explain in words!!

Truly an amazing experience so far! Big Thanks to everyone involved with the development of the game! You all did a great job!!

rowe

School Cricketer
Really nothing to say apart from they've combined the good bits of 14 and 17 into a more comprehensive package. Easily the best and most in-depth cricket game ever made. Yes, it's buggy at the moment but not in the places it really matters, and nobody is expecting FIFA level graphics & presentation considering the size of the development team and their budget.

All in all you have now a solid foundation for a franchise. My only request for the future is that career mode gets expanded and made more in-depth (MLB The Show is a great example of how to do this).

T20

Panel of Selectors
Can someone review the co-op mode? Want to know if it has been fixed from DBC 17 and playable now. :rolleyes

intrancer

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I got it yesterday and the game play is great.

I felt something was missing with DBC17.

Ashes2017 is very responsive and just feels a bit faster .The timing Windows also seems to be adjusted.

Is it me or was DBC17 harder to time and the input response lagged?

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Finally, was able to get hands on in this game with Xbox one version.

My first impression : " Wow, just wow!! ". I see this as a impressive/revolutionary step towards future iterations. Can't wait for the PC version to come out to max out the settings in my 4K display.

Thank you @BigAntStudios for your awesome commitment to cricket games as always!!

Only played for 2-3 hours last night, so yet to explore the game in detail.

Pros :

• Variety of shots - loved it. Can't imagine if BA studios end up getting license of all major teams, it would be absolute treat to watch this game being promoted in ICC events one day.
  • Fluid animations - both, fielding of AI and during playing of shots. Especially when you hit a SIX, loved the way how ball connects and go beyond the ropes.
  • Cricket atmosphere got lot better. With crowd going insane during a good spell, if you are in opponent side, you kind of feel the real pressure. I was playing as India in 3 teams ODI series(India, Australia and England) in Australia & was playing against England in my first match. Struggled in first few overs in batting to pick the gaps, and that cheers from crowd supporting England made me to go insane making me to commit a mistake out of pressure. I loved this!! Would be absolutely fascinating, if this can be scaled in future iterations as editable feature so that non-licensing teams can also have their own crowd support. Like playing drums and blowing trumpets for Sri Lanka and West Indies, huge cheers and custom music for India etc.
  • Fielding radar - Am using to show on field changes only, it is a very nice add. I don't like that to be ON always, so this option to show on field changes is great.
  • Not a fan of commentary in cricket games - but this switching style between 3 people within a match adds nice real touch.
  • User interface is smooth - big leap from DBC17!!
What could have been better?

• Am a kind of player, who always press the run button too frequently to look for quick singles and cancel if situation doesn't permit. I ended up being run out 2 out of 3 times in one match due to extremely slow response of batsman to return back to crease. Batsman seem to take his sweet time to make a 365 degree turn, balance himself and walk back to crease. I kept pressing sprinting and diving options after canceling the run, but no luck. Did see the release notes that it was tweaked in 1.05 patch for PS4, hopefully this situation gets addressed.
  • Loading time of match after pressing play match from menu is taking longer time than usual compared to DBC14/17 standards. May be, they can implement like what WWE did in their games to load in background but start displaying the first frame and so on. i.e. Match can start with game cameras nicely touring a top view of stadium and zooming in while loading all the conditions and teams on background with in-progress bar on corner.
  • Any shortcut keys for switching camera, review option and replay would be nice to add - as most of us frequently do this while playing.
  • Highlights reel not making to this iteration - would have been nice touch for video sharing.

thivakar

School Cricketer
I was hesitant to buy it and now I don't regret it at all. This is simply the best cricketing game ever. As someone that has constantly bought other sports games like NBA 2K, this franchise has a great potential and the game is best played on Classic Setting. Gameplay Modifier is the best feature in the game. In the next world cup I have a feeling all the players in the World Cup will be mo-capped and simply there is no reason for them not to. IGN video review spread cricket more than ICC ever did. Love It.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I was hesitant to buy it and now I don't regret it at all. This is simply the best cricketing game ever. As someone that has constantly bought other sports games like NBA 2K, this franchise has a great potential and the game is best played on Classic Setting. Gameplay Modifier is the best feature in the game. In the next world cup I have a feeling all the players in the World Cup will be mo-capped and simply there is no reason for them not to. IGN video review spread cricket more than ICC ever did. Love It.
Enjoy mate..:thumbs

fanirama

Club Captain
A few other things I've noted -

1. women's gameplay is markedly different. The bowlers bowl slower and the timing is a bit off for batting. As in, you need to time your shot about 0.5 sec later compared to mens. You soon get adjusted to it but it is a nuance. Not sure this was a good idea but whatever. I suppose this is how they want to show the diff between men and women's cricket
2. Commentator says "he" constantly in a womens match
3. Several common shot types are very tough to pull off - leg glance to fine leg, steer to third man, regular square cut, mid wicket shots esp the ones that fly in the air, pulls, hooks. I could do all these nicely in DBC 14 and even DBC 17 which I liked as well.
4. The special shots are cool like the reverse shot. I'm not sure if they got rid of the others like the scoop shot or Dhoni helicopter shot.
5. R1 to fine place the ball seems mixed really. Sometimes it works, other times not. Esp, if you want to do a quick touch and then take a quick run
6. Cannot seem to run a bye if ball goes to WK. Sometimes you want to do that and chance it.
7. Not sure if there's a camera angle that follows the ball after it is hit as in prior games. Now you're stuck watching it from the stumps area. Probably a setting I didn't bother to check yet
8. There's no day/night cycle but the transition from sun to night light is a bit jarring
9. I loved the DBC 14 practice batting/bowling on a field with a team. That is missing in this one (and DBC 17)

bl8000

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
7. Is under running camera, change that for different post shot cameras

9. Yes so much yes, I at least want a bowler to bat off and a batter to bowl to in the training ground.

I need someone to fight off my bowls and protect the stumps to get better at bowling. Anybody can hit the stumps just sitting there unprotected.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
A few other things I've noted -

1. women's gameplay is markedly different. The bowlers bowl slower and the timing is a bit off for batting. As in, you need to time your shot about 0.5 sec later compared to mens. You soon get adjusted to it but it is a nuance. Not sure this was a good idea but whatever. I suppose this is how they want to show the diff between men and women's cricket
2. Commentator says "he" constantly in a womens match
3. Several common shot types are very tough to pull off - leg glance to fine leg, steer to third man, regular square cut, mid wicket shots esp the ones that fly in the air, pulls, hooks. I could do all these nicely in DBC 14 and even DBC 17 which I liked as well.
4. The special shots are cool like the reverse shot. I'm not sure if they got rid of the others like the scoop shot or Dhoni helicopter shot.
5. R1 to fine place the ball seems mixed really. Sometimes it works, other times not. Esp, if you want to do a quick touch and then take a quick run
6. Cannot seem to run a bye if ball goes to WK. Sometimes you want to do that and chance it.
7. Not sure if there's a camera angle that follows the ball after it is hit as in prior games. Now you're stuck watching it from the stumps area. Probably a setting I didn't bother to check yet
8. There's no day/night cycle but the transition from sun to night light is a bit jarring
9. I loved the DBC 14 practice batting/bowling on a field with a team. That is missing in this one (and DBC 17)

4. I am pretty those shots are still there because I played them in training.
7. I think if you change the running camera to Broadcast camera 1 or 2 ( Not sure) and batting to static Camera then you get EA Cricket 2002 camera angles :)...I think EA Cricket 2004 had great camera angles.

kulch

Club Captain
4. I am pretty those shots are still there because I played them in training.
7. I think if you change the running camera to Broadcast camera 1 or 2 ( Not sure) and batting to static Camera then you get EA Cricket 2002 camera angles :)...I think EA Cricket 2004 had great camera angles.

Correct. Batting cams to fixed and running cam broadcast1 (its better than broadcast2) for the ultimate retro gaming experience. Turn off all the Ariel markers and ball trail too

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Correct. Batting cams to fixed and running cam broadcast1 (its better than broadcast2) for the ultimate retro gaming experience. Turn off all the Ariel markers and ball trail too
I am going to try that after work because I really like Old School Cricket games like Brain lara 99, Cricket 2002 and 2004:).

Hope they add the camera angle from cricket 2004 as well where they follow the ball a bit closely when its in the air just like real life TV, thank you Big Ant for adding on these camera angles.

USA

Club Captain
Excellent! Great job BA. I have been playing for the last couple of days and have to say, very impressed. I usually do not write reviews but this game has compelled me to do so, however brief it is. Very realistic experience. Edges, 4's, swing beating the outside edge, crowd noise, on field audio all are great. This is the best so far (between DB 14, 17 and AC).

Of course, my experience is doubled with Xbox One X with 4K and HDR on. So I am sure I am getting the full experience graphics wise as well. Also I think that the licenses and stadiums are a great addition. I have underestimated the impact of licenses and now realize the enhancement it gives to the playing experience. All in all a great job BA. Please continue to leap forward.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bought the game today, with the holidays coming it was a good time to buy the game.

The game is amazing, specifically it's gameplay. The shots from the batsmen are great and they look very real in comparison to DBC 17. The players loop damn realistic and it's great to see Smith's batting stance and different actions. The sound is fantastic as well, with the Barmy Army in the background and crowd noises that makes you feel immersed in the gameplay. These elements have improved from previous BA cricket games, and they did a great job.
However, the one thing I will say about the game is the commentary is just as awful as DBC 17. This has always been a weak part of BA's cricket games and continues to do so. Commentary phrases have been the same nothing really has changed in this department. There are several bugs with this, such as James Taylor saying the score has stayed the same when 10 runs were added in the over, and calling it a maiden over when runs have been scored. I think us cricket fans really want a variety of phrases that are different and enthusiastically said. It is absolutely cringe to hear Taylor try to act excited.

However, BA's did a fabulous job on this game, the gameplay once again is stunning, with the commentary and fielding being one of awful things if the game. I will continue to support BA, they are doing an amazing job considering they are a small company and no one else mad at a game as good as this. People always talk about this not even competing with EA games, but considering BA is a small company this is a great effort by this group of talented individuals.

Thanks to the BA team for putting this amazing game together! :yes :clap :cheers ;)

Users who are viewing this thread