• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Well, this was expected. This is why I said on day 1 that England must get 550. I also remember commenting during the last Ashes that Anderson/Broad should play on a rotation basis. What I mean? This English team is only good in England/South Africa. England are suddenly looking at a stage where they might have zero developed fast bowling stock. I don't believe Anderson/Broad are crap or they should be discarded but they should not be made gods who walk in. They need to be preserved and played on form and in the right conditions. What is also crucial is the fact that when they both play, they exaggerate the tail. Most crucially, England must come out of the mentality of looking to win the Ashes when it's held in England. Australia themselves have not won the Ashes there in a while, but they always compete. Last couple of times England have been humiliated. Absolutely no other word for it.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Predict a lead of 250-300 for the Aussies and England to set Australia a target of 40 odd.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Very surprised that Paine wasn't given the opportunity to score a 50 but I guess that's the way the Aussies play. I wonder what the reaction might have been had such a thing been done by a sub-continental captain.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
All the hopes I had on England before the start of series just vanished after the first test. This is just plain usual thrashing by Aussies.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
An innings lost on it's way for England?

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
An innings lost on it's way for England?
Definitely, I do not see England posting even a single run lead. The confidence is just not there. Cook should retire after this series and a serious looking to England's bowling unit

D

Dutch

The stark reality;
As someone said on the BBC:
Pretty good effort getting turned over inside four days after sitting 368-4 an hour into day two.

Unbelievable......absolutely dreadfull

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
After this series I have become more serious and will say it Joe Root is not even in the same category as Kohli and Smith. Smith > Kohli in terms of sheer presence and non-wicket giving ability whereas Kohli might just edge one to the slip. This series should end one person's debate regarding Fab 4 of this generation. I am not commenting on Williamson as he plays very little cricket.

Perfect Square

No Corners
PAK...
CSK
LQ
MS
Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Pakistan
There's only one opportunity for England if they don't want to lose this match. Is to pray for more rain and if that doesn't work. Vince and Malan have to build big partnership, like Smith and Marsh.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
That Vince wicket was wow! :eek: Completely unplayable delivery

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That Starc delivery (to Vince) sums up the difference between the two sides. Australia have the ability to create wickets out of nothing and can remove set batsmen while England have struggled to take 20 wickets and once a batsmen gets past 50 for Aussie he often goes and converts to a big one as England don’t have that bowler who can produce a wicket out of nothing

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
After this series I have become more serious and will say it Joe Root is not even in the same category as Kohli and Smith. Smith > Kohli in terms of sheer presence and non-wicket giving ability whereas Kohli might just edge one to the slip. This series should end one person's debate regarding Fab 4 of this generation. I am not commenting on Williamson as he plays very little cricket.

It's easy to write someone off when they're down. The "Fab 4' CRAP is created by that reptile eating Mayanti Langer in the Indian media.

You can write Williamson off, but I've seen him get runs in all conditions which none of the other three have done. Their hunger and ability to go on and on is surreal but number are often a huge smoke screen. In my opinion, Root, Kohli and Smith are all more free flowing stroke makers but more prone to getting out when it's decking around. I feel Root is good in those conditions but he's temperamentally a bit off. Williamson is a lesser stroke maker but easily the most adaptable and % wise will give you runs against anyone and anywhere.

I don't intend to sound like I'm dissing Kohli and Smith but I'm yet to see a hundred from either of them on a green top. They're not flat track bullies, far from it but they're not as yet complete batsmen.

EDIT- The three of Williamson, Root and Smith all put together aren't as good as Kohli in limited overs. I'm assuming the debate is based on test matches.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's easy to write someone off when they're down. The "Fab 4' CRAP is created by that reptile eating Mayanti Langer in the Indian media.

You can write Williamson off, but I've seen him get runs in all conditions which none of the other three have done. Their hunger and ability to go on and on is surreal but number are often a huge smoke screen. In my opinion, Root, Kohli and Smith are all more free flowing stroke makers but more prone to getting out when it's decking around. I feel Root is good in those conditions but he's temperamentally a bit off. Williamson is a lesser stroke maker but easily the most adaptable and % wise will give you runs against anyone and anywhere.

I don't intend to sound like I'm dissing Kohli and Smith but I'm yet to see a hundred from either of them on a green top. They're not flat track bullies, far from it but they're not as yet complete batsmen.

EDIT- The three of Williamson, Root and Smith all put together aren't as good as Kohli in limited overs. I'm assuming the debate is based on test matches.
I think Kohli needs to show that he can get his team out of a dire situation and show some character and responsibility in his innings. It has been really boring to see him piling runs upon runs on flat Indian tracks. English conditions are really a huge problem for him, but hopefully he can play county cricket prior to the England tour. I believe he can be called as a flat track bully, he made runs on a flat MCG track and on bouncy SA pitches as well in NZ. I agree with you that Smith and Kohli need to show they can score as well as they do on seaming tracks. The Indian media really does manipulate people's opinions by claiming Kohli is a run machine or unstoppable, but you can't say that if you're playing on the same flat tracks at home. Williamson is now going to play less and less Test cricket now due to NZ playing only 2 match test series, so he can more or less be taken out of the equation. Smith has scored runs in England which Kohli hasn't done, but Smithy seems to know his game better and keeps improving while Kohli hasn't really improved upon his downfalls edging to slip, which he still does today.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I think Kohli needs to show that he can get his team out of a dire situation and show some character and responsibility in his innings. It has been really boring to see him piling runs upon runs on flat Indian tracks. English conditions are really a huge problem for him, but hopefully he can play county cricket prior to the England tour. I believe he can be called as a flat track bully, he made runs on a flat MCG track and on bouncy SA pitches as well in NZ. I agree with you that Smith and Kohli need to show they can score as well as they do on seaming tracks. The Indian media really does manipulate people's opinions by claiming Kohli is a run machine or unstoppable, but you can't say that if you're playing on the same flat tracks at home. Williamson is now going to play less and less Test cricket now due to NZ playing only 2 match test series, so he can more or less be taken out of the equation. Smith has scored runs in England which Kohli hasn't done, but Smithy seems to know his game better and keeps improving while Kohli hasn't really improved upon his downfalls edging to slip, which he still does today.

It's not about just scoring runs 'somewhere'. Smith's runs in England came on roads as well. He has as much to prove on a green top to the 'real' cricket fan. I've not seen him play a counter attacking or dogged innings on a green top where it's hooting around. It could be anywhere in the world. Same for Kohli. They both can play pace, bounce and spin so I don't think they both are just flat track bullies. It's about whether they can play seam and spin.

May sound bizarre to you, but Rahane can play any sort of bowling anywhere in the world on any track. He has the game and technique for it, depends on his mindset and form.

Users who are viewing this thread