Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Hester

County Cricketer
Is it just me or sometimes if you don't appeal super quick you then can't appeal? I've had 2 just now where they edge to gully... I jump up in my seat in delight (been a long day in the field) then forget to appeal then press it nothing happens then skips to next ball lol.

Also Had a few caught straight off the pads and its been given out even tho nowhere near bat.

You definitely have to be fast. Although, I've had lots of occasions where the AI nicks it behind for a catch but I can't appeal, no matter how fast I am.

eaglesrjh

School Cricketer
In career mode in the early games at club level in England, I get that there is not really such a thing as a "draw" games are either won or lost with draws decided by countback.

As far as I can tell draws are decided by who won the first innings.

Therefore if you are ahead after the first set of innings is there any point declaring in innings 3?

Recent scenario, we score roughly 400 first up, second team all out for about 300, so we have lead of about 100 after first innings.

Batting 3rd captain declares with an overall lead of about 350, this gives the opposition a chance to win.

the question is is there any benefit to declaring like this? if you are winning after first innings then would you not be better just batting till the end?

Muhammad shafiq

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
ashes ... online 7/10 . its love works smoth few bugs but whatever ... loving it .. <3

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
Yes your footwork in 100% in the direction your left stick goes, so front foor towards leg side or off side, makes a HUGE difference to what shot is played.

Are you sure? Can someone confirm this. I tried playing like this but it doesn't make much difference, also why would the game been more in-depth regarding the control scheme you use? Because if you were to use the out of the box controls you don't get to control where your feet go only the direction of the shot (unless that's a 2 in 1)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Are you sure? Can someone confirm this. I tried playing like this but it doesn't make much difference, also why would the game been more in-depth regarding the control scheme you use?

Because the classic controls are more in depth and based on the DBC control system. From what I recall the lower difficulty the less need there is to do footwork. Standard controls are simple controls and, as far as I'm aware, in place so that anyone can play the game and pick up the controls quickly regardless of their experience with the previous series.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Are you sure? Can someone confirm this. I tried playing like this but it doesn't make much difference, also why would the game been more in-depth regarding the control scheme you use? Because if you were to use the out of the box controls you don't get to control where your feet go only the direction of the shot (unless that's a 2 in 1)

Because the classic controls are more in depth and based on the DBC control system. From what I recall the lower difficulty the less need there is to do footwork. Standard controls are simple controls and, as far as I'm aware, in place so that anyone can play the game and pick up the controls quickly regardless of their experience with the previous series.

IMO this confusion can be sorted by using a different naming scheme. "Standard" and "Classic" leads you to believe that they have the same functionaity but they are just a different control scheme but it's not really true. What they should be named is "Beginner" and "Advanced" or some such which clearly specifies that there will be added depth to one of the control schemes whereas one of them is rudimentary.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
IMO this confusion can be sorted by using a different naming scheme. "Standard" and "Classic" leads you to believe that they have the same functionaity but they are just a different control scheme but it's not really true. What they should be named is "Beginner" and "Advanced" or some such which clearly specifies that there will be added depth to one of the control schemes whereas one of them is rudimentary.
I do think they could've picked better names.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I do think they could've picked better names.

Yup. If they wanted to use "Standard" to avoid the word 'Beginner', then they should've termed the other control scheme "Advanced" instead of 'Classic' as it's easier for folks to understand that there might be an added layer of complexity if you go from "Standard" to "Advanced".

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@wasteyouryouth @cricket_online I see well that clears a lot up and does the same ride for the bowling? Because bowling with the "Classic" controls I can instantly see there's more options to control length etc whereas the out of box controls when you bowl a good delivery it's always going over the stumps so very hard to get LBW and bowled (only had one bowled so far & zero LBW)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
@wasteyouryouth @cricket_online I see well that clears a lot up and does the same ride for the bowling? Because bowling with the "Classic" controls I can instantly see there's more options to control length etc whereas the out of box controls when you bowl a good delivery it's always going over the stumps so very hard to get LBW and bowled (only had one bowled so far & zero LBW)
I'm not sure how it varies with bowling. I'm fairly sure in the case of batting if you play on lower levels then you either don't have to bother with footwork or it is more a case of forward and back - might be wrong, but that's how I remember it. For bowling it's smaller timing windows the higher difficulty setting. Even on the highest difficulty I find that you can still get Perfect/Perfect deliveries 4 or 5 times an over if you're looking at the timers.

I now don't look at the timing windows and just use the run up and arc of the arm to determine when I do the necessary inputs. I find it more enjoyable and varied because of the different bowling styles, so it can be more challenging. It also means I'm looking at the game that people have put time into making look great rather than just a box.

The only standard control I use is for spin bowling which I find to be a far superior set up than the classic version, especially as you have no need to control the jump. But like pace bowling I use the arm position to determine when I push the delivery button - usually just before it reaches the vertical position. I still push the shorter/fuller bumper buttons although I'm not sure if they do anything on standard.

Have absolutely no problem taking wickets either.

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just a general observation on bowler confidence. Took a wicket in the middle of the second over an opening bowler bowled and his confidence was still on amber until the middle of the next over. I'd like to think his confidence would go to the top, particularly after clean bowling an opening batsman.

It's little things like this that I think could help in balancing batting and bowling.

There is another minor bug in the stamina system. When you run-in with your bowler and abandon the run up by not pressing any button when the bowler reaches the crease, your bowler's stamina goes up instead of down (or no change).

azkhan

Associate Captain
Have absolutely no problem taking wickets either.

Do you have any tips for taking wickets?

I'm playing on veteran and on hard for bowling and batting but I'm finding it very difficult to take wickets especially in test matches. It honestly feels like DBC 14 as it was very hard to take wickets in that game. I have come close to taking wickets but the ball just misses the wicket. The 2 test matches I played they made so many runs without losing many wickets that I just simulated the matches in the end as I got a little frustrated. The wickets I took where nearly all due to errors by the batsman and many of them were that awful bat pad shots.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Do you have any tips for taking wickets?

I'm playing on veteran and on hard for bowling and batting but I'm finding it very difficult to take wickets especially in test matches. It honestly feels like DBC 14 as it was very hard to take wickets in that game. I have come close to taking wickets but the ball just misses the wicket. The 2 test matches I played they made so many runs without losing many wickets that I just simulated the matches in the end as I got a little frustrated. The wickets I took where nearly all due to errors by the batsman and many of them were that awful bat pad shots.
I just try to mix it up with length (using the bumpers) and keep a steady line on around about 4th-5th stump. Cutters are the ones that often seem to find the edge. When the swing goes, if I'm still using pace bowlers I'll bowl cutters and adjust the seam, this seems to negate some of the extreme movement you get with them. I don't really have any secret I've just not had a problem getting wickets. Generally I try to think how I want to get a batsman out and set my field accordingly and try to bowl to that. If I'm noticing the batsman playing certain shots I'll maybe move fielders to force them to play different shots. A lot are due to batsman error - lofting up catches, but I get edges and bowleds too. Haven't seen an lbw for weeks mind but then I don't often attack the stumps without a strong leg side field.

It's important to assess the bounce of the pitch. Softer pitches bowling a steady good length can be a waste of time. I'll often bowl short or use the shorter bumper. While the bounce in the game isn't bad I find the carry to the keepers is pretty bad, even on decent hard pitches. I find with spinners bowling short deliveries can often be more effective.

Users who are viewing this thread