Young guns - Who to look out for in the near future....

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've put up a post on Reddit about some of the Afghan talents coming through, but it's poor practice to copy-paste it here wholesale so this post is a link instead.

Some key quotes:
So how exactly do these bowlers do what they do? What makes them remarkable? In Rashid's case, he is a leg-spinner who doesn't really bowl leg-spin. His stock ball is a googly, which takes some getting used to but is not in itself unique. What is unusual is the pace at which Rashid bowls which, coupled with the fact that his whippy, shoulder-dipping action makes it very difficult to distinguish the leg-break from the googly, means that there is not enough time to play him off the pitch.
In Mujeeb's case, I believe that the trick to his bowling is found in his grip. His orthodox, hard-spun off-spinner is bowled with a reasonably traditional grip between the index and middle finger. His main variation is still an off-break, but gripped in a similar manner to Dainty Ironmonger, who was missing his index finger below the knuckle. By gripping the ball with only this part of the index finger, the bowler can still impart spin, but the ball comes out slower and with more flight, despite the arm speed and grip appearing from the batsman's end to be identical.
Most likely, he has learned it by trying stuff out and finding that it worked.

This is in marked contrast to how talent is developed elsewhere in the world. Take the ongoing Ashes series for example: England have tried both Jake Ball and Craig Overton who appear to me to be basically the same bowler; certainly cut from the same coaching manual.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I honestly see Afghanistan being a side that can win against the likes of the bigger names in the near future. They're bringing out young guns and all of them are performing, plus with the experienced players (i.e. Mohammad Nabi) I see them going big. Plus, with a struggling Sri Lanka and a volatile Bangladesh, this could be an ideal opportunity to come into the main circuit.

Salman.

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Husnain Talat
Ehsan Adil
Mohammad Rizwan
Arsal Sheikh
Usama Mir
Saad Nasim
Mir Hamza
Saif Badar
Zeeshan Malik
Hasan Mohsin
Nauman Anwar
Haris Rauf
Mohammad Irfan Jr. + alot of guys from LQ talent hunt program are some players to look out for in the future.
There are many more players which I may post upon remembering.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Needs to work alot on himself, gets into an awkward position while attacking, can't convert starts and doesn't have alot of shots up his sleeve.
True, but he can accumulate runs without playing flashy shots[DOUBLEPOST=1514750986][/DOUBLEPOST]
Shan Masood says hi.
He may be a parchi but he is one of the few young off-spinners in the domestic circuit.
Masood actually did very well in the T20 Cup, and is playing well in the Departmental OD Cup too.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think South Africa's Wiaan Mulder and Bangladesh's Mohammad Saifuddin, West Indies' Alzarri Joseph and England's Tom Curran are the current best of the emerging players' lot. Jack Burnham had a great U-19 WC in 2016 but his form has been up and down ever since in FC cricket and recently been banned for a year. Hope he learns from his mistake and comes out a good cricketer he showed glimpses of in 2016 U-19 WC.

Users who are viewing this thread