Your Cricket Any umpires out there?

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
And getting disillusioned about it all and thinking of packing it all in.

I enrolled on an ECB level 1 course 4 years ago. Very interesting it was too. Sat the obligatory exam at it's conclusion and passed. Great I thought. There's my summer season weekends sorted. Being involved in my favourite game and visiting local clubs towns and (even better) villages. In the fresh air hopefully adding positively to the players and everyone having an enjoyable day. (Even get a nice cuppa and buffet between innings).

But now I feel burnt out after 4 seasons. Rude and anti social behavior from players and their 'fans and families'. Constantly overstepping the mark for decent behaviour and playing within the spirit of the game.

Yes....'unacceptable' behaviour can and is highlighted in our match reports that are submitted to the local league administrators....and fines and suspensions are sometimes issues to players....but that just fuels more animosity when you visit their clubs the next season.
The situation is getting untenable. I will probably give it one more season and see how it goes.

A55MAN

School Cricketer
And getting disillusioned about it all and thinking of packing it all in.

I enrolled on an ECB level 1 course 4 years ago. Very interesting it was too. Sat the obligatory exam at it's conclusion and passed. Great I thought. There's my summer season weekends sorted. Being involved in my favourite game and visiting local clubs towns and (even better) villages. In the fresh air hopefully adding positively to the players and everyone having an enjoyable day. (Even get a nice cuppa and buffet between innings).

But now I feel burnt out after 4 seasons. Rude and anti social behavior from players and their 'fans and families'. Constantly overstepping the mark for decent behaviour and playing within the spirit of the game.

Yes....'unacceptable' behaviour can and is highlighted in our match reports that are submitted to the local league administrators....and fines and suspensions are sometimes issues to players....but that just fuels more animosity when you visit their clubs the next season.
The situation is getting untenable. I will probably give it one more season and see how it goes.

Mate I did a bit of umpiring teams who were just early teenage ages and the amount of abuse you even copped there was unreal so I can only imagine.[DOUBLEPOST=1514981616][/DOUBLEPOST]You'd have to have a lot of patience.

A55MAN

School Cricketer
I think its a generational thing now. I know when I used to play 10-15 years ago, I never abused umpires, nor did I really witness any abuse of umpires. I played club cricket and also managed a couple games for my states underage 2nd xi side as a teen and never saw it like I did when I gave a bit of umpiring a go. I just think a lack of respect is a generational thing now.

I mean obviously back then I and others would give a bit of a 'are you blind' or 'are you deaf' comment but nothing like what seems to happen now.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
When I broke my hand, I umpired a league game to help out the club I was part of at the time. I ended up being spat at by a member of my own team. I have had nothing to do with either that club or umpiring since.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
When I broke my hand, I umpired a league game to help out the club I was part of at the time. I ended up being spat at by a member of my own team. I have had nothing to do with either that club or umpiring since.

Spitting......now that's nasty. I'm going to try one more season and make an appraisal as to whether I continue. Had better swot up on the law changes for this year.
  • The Handled the ball Law has been deleted, with its contents merged into Obstructing the field.
  • The Lost ball Law has been deleted and is now covered under Dead ball.
  • Limits placed on the thickness of the edges and the overall depth of the bat.
  • Injuries hoped to be prevented in a new Law which allow mechanisms tethering the bails to the stumps.
  • Bowling of deliberate front foot No balls to be treated in same way as deliberate full-tosses.
  • A new Law of the game, Players’ conduct, is introduced, giving an in-match consequence for poor on-field behaviour.
  • The Law regarding running out the non-striker has been altered.
  • 'Bouncing bat’ Law changed, substitutes now allowed to keep wicket and concept of penalty time amended.

Users who are viewing this thread