Your Cricket Yorkers - how to handle them?

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
@Samuels, thanks very much but I have tried alot things at the yorker. First I used to hit the ground hard with the bat in the line of the ball, but with it, I lost many nails because the bat hit my feet. The second thing is that I tried to slog it, the result of that was that I either missed the ball or I got caught or I hit my foot with it again. The third thing is that I used to paddle sweap and it worked a long time but then they figured it out that how to get me out, they placed short fine leg and I either gave him a catch or I would hit the ball to him and get run out. The fourth thing is that I tried to flick it, the result was aweful. Again I lost some foot nails, and that's the truth, I have lost nails of almost every finger I have on my left foot. I hate because when get out like this, my friends laugh at me that every time I play I hit my foot with the bat. And this my weakness for 4 years

Last edited:

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
What I do is, turn a yorker into a low full toss by dancing down the pitch. (Inspired by Brendan McCullum)

Paree

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Well in Death overs you know that bowlers will try to bowl a yorker.So the solution is using the crease.Go deep into your Crease make it a length ball and hit it just like MSD

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
What I do is, turn a yorker into a low full toss by dancing down the pitch. (Inspired by Brendan McCullum)
Ok, I'll try too, but the problem is that they've placed an exact field for this delivery, they place a short fine leg, mid on, deep mid wicket, mid wicket & square leg. I don't know what to do.

Paree

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Ok, I'll try too, but the problem is that they've placed an exact field for this delivery, they place a short fine leg, mid on, deep mid wicket, mid wicket & square leg. I don't know what to do.

Dancing Down the pitch can sometimes create a problem when the bowler knows what you want to do.The thing you need to do is to outsmart the bowler.
Try to surprise the bowler.Try to make room while dancing down the pitch and hit it towards the offside and don't play every yorker in a same style sometimes use the depth of the crease to make it a length ball and also bat according to the situation:thumbs

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
Dancing Down the pitch can sometimes create a problem when the bowler knows what you want to do.The thing you need to do is to outsmart the bowler.
Try to surprise the bowler.Try to make room while dancing down the pitch and hit it towards the offside and don't play every yorker in a same style sometimes use the depth of the crease to make it a length ball and also bat according to the situation:thumbs
But what if the bowler is Wasim Akram?

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@Samuels, thanks very much but I have tried alot things at the yorker. First I used to hit the ground hard with the bat in the line of the ball
You need to get your position right while playing the shot. I think you are bending a bit too forward and your head must be falling all over the place. Keep your head steady and play the ball while bending less. You should be able to connect it sweetly after some practice. The key in your case is to get the position of your head and the stance right.

Abhil

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
The best way to handle a yorker is to step out of your crease and make it a full toss and then hit a six or stop or drive it towards long on or long off.But make sure there is no good fielder because if you mistimed the shot you wll get caught

Believe

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Seriously? People think that attempting to hit Yorkers for 6 is the best way to handle them?

As an opening bowler, I would love to see batsmen trying that in games.. I'd give him 6 balls, tops, before he's swearing his way back to the changing sheds.

Some people have the right idea though. Clear that front foot, especially if you keep jamming your toes with the bat, and juts get that bat down. Once you've stopped getting out as often (Everybody gets out to them some of the time) then try and work out a way to score of them. But just remember every bowler is different. eg. a faster bowler is going to be slightly easier to clip out to square leg/midwicket for 1, where a more gentle medium bowler you'd try to hit a bit straighter.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Let's be honest here, sometimes it isn't possible to deal with a yorker. When it is, you've got to just jam down on it and live to fight another day. Occasionally, you might try something clever, like opening the face or clipping it off your toes, but generally if you can do that it's not really a yorker is it?

grkrama

National Board President
thats mostly for the yorker in the blockhole at middle stump, which is very rare unless you are facing a future malinga or kyleabbot, most at club level go to the of or leg side and with right moment can be dealt with

haznutsd123

School Cricketer
My name is James

And lately i just cant play yorkers and i pack shits everytime i get out by one and my teamates have turned me into a living meme

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread