ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
f you take into account that they are playing against high calibre opponents in the group and fellow Associate teams it's still a fair number.
I disagree. 7 games in 4 years will amount to nothing. I can also bet that the playing XI will be a lot different the next time, so you basically again start from zero.

A WC IMO, would seriously test their skills as they are playing big teams, with the added pressures of performing well in a WC, do you not think it would not benefit them?
Again, no. It won't. In order for them to get something out of it, it needs to be more regular. Playing high quality teams once in a blue moon will amount to nothing.

Regular matches are good but wouldn't likely happen with the likes of Hong Kong, Nepal, and UAE or Scotland.
Then it's up to the ICC to do something about it. Allowing them to play only in WC will be, as I have said numerous times, a complete waste of time. I honestly don't see what you can get by playing against a ranked team 7 times every 1460 days.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Very sad to see Afghanistan demise in ICCWCQ2018.
Captaincy pressure too hard to consume for Rashid Khan.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
. I can also bet that the playing XI will be a lot different the next time, so you basically again start from zero.
Really? See the teams of Scotland and Ireland in CWC 2011 and 2015. Not much change heh? Point is, associate and lower ranked teams do not have much talent to replace their lineups fully in 4 years. What else can be the explanation of seeing Gary Wilson in the IRISH team for tweaking 7 years if he is not going to contribute?

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Point is, associate and lower ranked teams do not have much talent to replace their lineups fully in 4 years
And my point is what good will it do to those teams to play only a handful of matches against top teams in a duration that spans close to/over 4 years? Ok, let's say they play in a WC. What then? Do you think they can carry over/retain the learnings or experience until the next WC? A lot would happen in 4 years - playing style changes, approach gets outdated. Then what?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Afghanistan need 45 runs off 9.3 overs with 5 wickets left. If they lose, and Scotland beat UAE, which they're probably going to do, then Afghanistan are out

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This is really close. 8 from 21 with 3 wickets! Come on Afghanistan you can do this!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
What a freaking victory. Men in Blues live for one more match. This is such a confidence booster beating the Windies. Well played!

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Good to see Afghans win. That too against the Windies. The Windies have looked very weak in their batting an quite inconsistent in their performances. I really feel Ireland/Scotland and Afghanistan should emerge from this victorious and qualifying. I'd really like to see some of these team in the WC, they have talented players who should be given an opportunity at the world stage. Even if it means Windies' exclusion.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I really feel Ireland/Scotland and Afghanistan
Zimbabwe says hi![DOUBLEPOST=1521133931][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, I really want Ireland to play the CWC. Cause I have a feeling it would be the last for Porterfield and surely the last for Joyce.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Going by dominance, Scotland and Zims deserve it. Afghanistan are fighting and WIndies have been really inconsistent.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Our route is a little murky: we need to beat both Ireland and either also beat the West Indies or hope that Zimbabwe either lose to the UAE or just squeak a win to go through on Net Run Rate. I'm optimistic - we've come close against the Windies before and in this tournament we've proven that we can compete with quality teams by beating Afghanistan and getting the tie against Zimbabwe. Even if we don't make it, we certainly haven't embarrassed ourselves and we've proven that we are a very good game on our day and unlike Ireland our team aren't all at the later end of their careers.

I'm a little biased but I think that both us and Zimbabwe qualifying would send the biggest message to the ICC; the latter have played very well and have been rather mistreated in the last few years and we're not the new dumb ODI League thing which has been what the ICC have been crowing about when they're talking about "new opportunities" for Associate countries - well in this case one country and while the Netherlands are good there are a few teams that are at a similar level to them. I like the West Indies (who doesn't?) but honestly I think them missing the World Cup would be a kick up the arse for everyone involved both in the WICB but also the ICC - if they want to guarantee that teams like the West Indies get into the World Cup they need to expand the competition which would also give Associate Nations an opportunity to play significant games against full strength Full Member teams. I'd disagree with using the silly League thing for qualification for... anything really - especially if its basically used to guarantee that Test Nations qualify for a major international tournament as has been suggested in this thread.

When it comes to games the ICC need to get involved more and make sure that touring teams are encouraged to schedule ODIs and T20Is with nearby teams when they tour a country and that you organise regular games between major countries and their neighbours. For example you have three good teams very close to England (Ireland are a Full Member now but I'll include them; Scotland and the Netherlands); yet its rare that teams touring England will play those countries in ODIs or T20Is which strikes me as being a big mixed opportunity - you now have the same between Nepal and India and its not like the former would lose anyone any money since there are lots of passionate Cricket fans in Nepal. This is especially the case for, say, the UAE who host Pakistans "home" games and Afghanistan who play in India: where it would take a lot less work to organise International Cricket than even the above examples. Hell you could replace the boring seven game ODI series that India always has at least one of which no one cares about with a try-series involving Afghanistan and bang: you've got . But that's not just something you do at the exclusion of World Cup participation: teams need something to aim for and if the ODI World Cup and major ODI Cricket is locked off from them then they'll focus almost entirely on T20 Cricket since that's a lot more open - even though the World T20 format isn't really a sixteen team tournament its still an easier goal for Associate teams than the current World Cup is.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
When it comes to games the ICC need to get involved more and make sure that touring teams are encouraged to schedule ODIs and T20Is with nearby teams when they tour a country and that you organise regular games between major countries and their neighbours. For example you have three good teams very close to England (Ireland are a Full Member now but I'll include them; Scotland and the Netherlands); yet its rare that teams touring England will play those countries in ODIs or T20Is which strikes me as being a big mixed opportunity - you now have the same between Nepal and India and its not like the former would lose anyone any money since there are lots of passionate Cricket fans in Nepal. This is especially the case for, say, the UAE who host Pakistans "home" games and Afghanistan who play in India: where it would take a lot less work to organise International Cricket than even the above examples. Hell you could replace the boring seven game ODI series that India always has at least one of which no one cares about with a try-series involving Afghanistan and bang: you've got . But that's not just something you do at the exclusion of World Cup participation: teams need something to aim for and if the ODI World Cup and major ODI Cricket is locked off from them then they'll focus almost entirely on T20 Cricket since that's a lot more open - even though the World T20 format isn't really a sixteen team tournament its still an easier goal for Associate teams than the current World Cup is.
That is a nice idea to be honest. Any touring team to Australia/ New Zealand can play with PNG as well. Any team touring Pakistan should play UAE, Oman, any team touring India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh should play Afghanistan, Nepal and as you suggested for England it should be Scotland, Ireland and Netherlands. I am not saying play entire tournament but atleast have couple of matches. Heck treat it as warm ups to main tournament.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
When it comes to games the ICC need to get involved more and make sure that touring teams are encouraged to schedule ODIs and T20Is with nearby teams when they tour a country and that you organise regular games between major countries and their neighbours. For example you have three good teams very close to England (Ireland are a Full Member now but I'll include them; Scotland and the Netherlands); yet its rare that teams touring England will play those countries in ODIs or T20Is which strikes me as being a big mixed opportunity - you now have the same between Nepal and India and its not like the former would lose anyone any money since there are lots of passionate Cricket fans in Nepal. This is especially the case for, say, the UAE who host Pakistans "home" games and Afghanistan who play in India: where it would take a lot less work to organise International Cricket than even the above examples. Hell you could replace the boring seven game ODI series that India always has at least one of which no one cares about with a try-series involving Afghanistan and bang: you've got . But that's not just something you do at the exclusion of World Cup participation: teams need something to aim for and if the ODI World Cup and major ODI Cricket is locked off from them then they'll focus almost entirely on T20 Cricket since that's a lot more open - even though the World T20 format isn't really a sixteen team tournament its still an easier goal for Associate teams than the current World Cup i
Really agree with this. Instead a the tour games, teams can play neighbouring countries.

If you tour South Africa, you play Namibia and Kenya.
If you tour UAE, you play UAE, Oman and Hong Kong.
If you tour India, you play Afghanistan and Nepal.
If you tour England, you play Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands.

flake

County Cricketer
For anyone who watched the Zim v ICC ...er...I mean Windies game today, the bias was on show for all to see. First Harare pitch Zim have played on in over 6 years that hasn’t taken to the spinners. Wonder why...Raza was given out after checking the no ball and finding that Holders foot was way over the line, people in the stadium were astounded by this. And finally, Hamilton Masakadza was given out caught behind off a ball that was at least 10cm away from his bat. It’s shocking to see what the ICC will do to ensure their money makers go through. I hope Zim and Scotland qualify as that will make sure this dumbass 10 team system will go for good.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Scenario 1

So now we need West Indies to win against Scotland and Zimbabwe to loose against UAE, the first one can happen but I am not sure Zims will loose against UAE. Even after that two happens Afghanistan need to beat Ireland. This way Afghanistan will be at 8 points, West Indies 8 points with Scots and Zims at 5 points each.

Scenario 2

Scotland beat West Indies go to 7 points, UAE beat Zims and Afghanistan beat Ireland - Afghanistan and Scotland will qualify if Afghanistan surpass WI NRR.

In either of the scenario Zims need to loose or else there is no chance for Afghanistan to qualify as West Indies or Scotland is a virtual final.

Users who are viewing this thread