Does any feels that ODIs and T20 are scripted?

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Specially when it comes to AI slogging , no matter what you are gonna bowl the AI will smash you out of the park when the scripts trigger.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Can mods add ONE after ANY in the thread title?
You can do that yourself.

I have only played a brief ODI with the new patch, but I did have similar feelings when it came to the formats before the patch. Both in terms of slogging or wickets. It's does feel as though they've been neglected a little but when it is an 'Ashes' game it is kind of understandable. I think the balance between human vs AI could be better. At present it feels like there are gaps in certain aspects of the game where we as the player have an advantage and others where the AI does.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
I would say that the run-rate in the powerplays almost definitely is, with the AI getting freebie boundaries to pick it up whenever needed.

You can limit the run-rate by taking wickets once you're out of the powerplay but that seems to be the only way. I guess it's the modern way to go all out no matter what but It would be kind of nice if the AI would play a bit more cautiously on tricky pitches.

I've had a good variety of totals made by the AI but there is still a bit of a formulaic feel to the matches. I honestly feel giving just a small chance for the AI to pop up or mishit one when going aggressive would solve a lot of that feeling.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
My only concern is the hit at will sixes irrespective of the AI batsmen skill set and even against 90+ skilled bowler.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I think, given that there is still the occasional slog shot in tests, whatever method is used for setting the AI approach is reliant upon them scoring at a particular rate and maintaining that and in the short formats it becomes a lot more noticeable. If a workable solution to that is not possible then some variety would be nice. I've said several times that team mentalities would be good, if only in some way providing variations in how teams go about getting their runs. Teams have no individual character if at least there was something that showed teams being aggressive or cautious at different stages it'd feel a lot more realistic.

Generally my tactic, if I'd kept it tight for four or five balls would be to bowl short, they tended not to be able to slog balls they can't hit.

D

Deleted member 185125

I think, given that there is still the occasional slog shot in tests, whatever method is used for setting the AI approach is reliant upon them scoring at a particular rate and maintaining that and in the short formats it becomes a lot more noticeable. If a workable solution to that is not possible then some variety would be nice. I've said several times that team mentalities would be good, if only in some way providing variations in how teams go about getting their runs. Teams have no individual character if at least there was something that showed teams being aggressive or cautious at different stages it'd feel a lot more realistic.

Generally my tactic, if I'd kept it tight for four or five balls would be to bowl short, they tended not to be able to slog balls they can't hit.

Short balls and Yorkers is what I use to keep it tight.

Spoobir

In my mind the problem isn't necessarily that they have an aggressive approach and are trying to reach a certain determined run-rate, it's that there is never any penalties for them when hitting out.

An AI thought process of "I need a boundary therefore I will try to hit one" isn't so bad but at the moment it just goes "I need a boundary therefore I will hit one". There needs to be a balance based on quality of batsman/delivery/pitch etc and it's just not there right now.

On the target run-rate @francobaldo1 had how it works pretty figured out in his hack for DBC17. We were able to adjust the target run-rate for each batsman before every ball which meant you could actually make a batsman build a proper innings. The issue is there doesn't seem to be a methodology within the game to make this target fluid and suit the match situation, it is always 6.5-7rpo during powerplay then 4-4.5 outside those overs. I would like to see it adjust with batsman confidence at least.

EDIT: Just checked out out Franco's hack again and there is actually two values. "Run-Rate for this over" and "Run-Rate for this ball". Seems like most likely the 2nd one is the one causing the freebie slogs. Maybe he can explain how it works when not affected by the tweak?

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
In my mind the problem isn't necessarily that they have an aggressive approach and are trying to reach a certain determined run-rate, it's that there is never any penalties for them when hitting out.

An AI thought process of "I need a boundary therefore I will try to hit one" isn't so bad but at the moment it just goes "I need a boundary therefore I will hit one". There needs to be a balance based on quality of batsman/delivery/pitch etc and it's just not there right now.

On the target run-rate @francobaldo1 had how it works pretty figured out in his hack for DBC17. We were able to adjust the target run-rate for each batsman before every ball which meant you could actually make a batsman build a proper innings. The issue is there doesn't seem to be a methodology within the game to make this target fluid and suit the match situation, it is always 6.5-7rpo during powerplay then 4-4.5 outside those overs. I would like to see it adjust with batsman confidence at least.

EDIT: Just checked out out Franco's hack again and there is actually two values. "Run-Rate for this over" and "Run-Rate for this ball". Seems like most likely the 2nd one is the one causing the freebie slogs. Maybe he can explain how it works when not affected by the tweak?
I thought it was something like this, I wasn't sure. The fluidity issue is what seems to be missing, it's probably difficult. Something like Duckworth Lewis - the target score of the AI adjusts in line with wickets in hand (or however DL works).

It'd just be nice to see variations based on conditions, venue (setting par scores in stadium creator?), teams (setting mentalities or having them based on a captain's?) and the players (a secondary mentality for one day/t20?) in that team.

Spoobir

I thought it was something like this, I wasn't sure. The fluidity issue is what seems to be missing, it's probably difficult. Something like Duckworth Lewis - the target score of the AI adjusts in line with wickets in hand (or however DL works).

It'd just be nice to see variations based on conditions, venue (setting par scores in stadium creator?), teams (setting mentalities or having them based on a captain's?) and the players (a secondary mentality for one day/t20?) in that team.

Like I said I have actually had some good variations in totals with different teams/conditions (anywhere between 170-370), it is just the way the AI builds their innings that always feels the same every time.

You can notice player mentalities sometimes but again they are overwritten when the AI decides it needs the runs.

D

Deleted member 46200

Specially when it comes to AI slogging , no matter what you are gonna bowl the AI will smash you out of the park when the scripts trigger.
Some say the opposite... ![DOUBLEPOST=1528049482][/DOUBLEPOST]
Short balls and Yorkers is what I use to keep it tight.
Yes but pack that side of the field and swing shortish to off (if bowling to a righty)

Users who are viewing this thread