India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It amazes me how the people who can't even hit a six in street cricket manage to find negativity all the time in the ones who managed to play the highest level!

Last edited:

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
AB claims he is ‘tired’ and thats why he has chosen to retire from international cricket. Is this physical or mental ‘tired’ and why not retire from global T20 leagues like IPL etc? SA global schedule already one of the least compact as compared to other countries! He couldve dropped those leagues and play test cricket only.

I'd refer you to this article.

He has had a lot of health issues (had to give up keeping) and was often picking and choosing his games hence choose to retire rather than become a burden for SA. He will continue to play for the Titans and stressed that he doesn't have an interested in any sort of a Kolpak deal.

I think it's a noble decision to step down when he is on his peak rather than become the burden that most players end up becoming. Can't blame him for the decision and hope to see him still around in the domestic circuit

S

Satan666

I'd refer you to this article.

He has had a lot of health issues (had to give up keeping) and was often picking and choosing his games hence choose to retire rather than become a burden for SA. He will continue to play for the Titans and stressed that he doesn't have an interested in any sort of a Kolpak deal.

I think it's a noble decision to step down when he is on his peak rather than become the burden that most players end up becoming. Can't blame him for the decision and hope to see him still around in the domestic circuit

What health issue made him give up on wicketkeeping? Other than him claiming to be tired I see no serious health issues highlighted in the link you shared, perhaps I miss it?

I can agree with you on him stepping down rather than being burden (which I think he was).

A player of his credentials would lose out if he took up a county contract, would he? It just seems hypocritical that he seems comitted to leagues like the IPL instead of staying on with the test team a couple years longer, SA clearly lacking test batsmen, even though he seems a burden on the team he proved otherwise against the Aussies/Indians in the last few tests. Should have played test cricket a bit more, seems to me he is more tired of playing for his country more than anything.

Samarth27.09

International Cricketer
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I think it's a noble decision to step down when he is on his peak rather than become the burden that most players end up becoming.

Exactly...

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Should have played test cricket a bit more, seems to me he is more tired of playing for his country more than anything.

Suppose he is ... so what !

At the end of the day, it's just a job. The country angle is BS. If he is getting undue stress from the job (mental or physical) and is not too interested in it then he has every right to move out of it. No one was doing him any Favors when he was picked up for the national team. He was picked up purely on SKILL. Therefore, he owes no one and there is nothing ungrateful about his decision. He just wants to play RELAXED cricket and enjoy the game instead of dealing with all the burden that comes with leading national team's batting lineup.

Now if suddenly, God forbid, there is a dire need for Stuart Binny or Rohan Gavaskar in the national team, and they say NO to it, that would amount to ungratefulness. Because they got in due to contacts and not skills, and owe it to the system.

S

Satan666

Suppose he is ... so what !

At the end of the day, it's just a job. The country angle is BS. If he is getting undue stress from the job (mental or physical) and is not too interested in it then he has every right to move out of it. No one was doing him any Favors when he was picked up for the national team. He was picked up purely on SKILL. Therefore, he owes no one and there is nothing ungrateful about his decision. He just wants to play RELAXED cricket and enjoy the game instead of dealing with all the burden that comes with leading national team's batting lineup.

Now if suddenly, God forbid, there is a dire need for Stuart Binny or Rohan Gavaskar in the national team, and they say NO to it, that would amount to ungratefulness. Because they got in due to contacts and not skills, and owe it to the system.

So playing for your national team is just an ordinary job? Even someone like Tendulkar has gone on record as expressing his pride of donning the national colours. All major sports personnel in all fields have gone on record expressing exactly why playing for their national team is so much more than job. What about the South African people? Dont he owe them?

Let me ask you this question if you were a SA native you think you’ll have the same way of thinking?

Sorry to say but I didnt expext this type of posting at all. I sincerely hope you never have to see someone like Kohli or Bhuvaneshwar quit all international cricket and freelance in T20 leagues across the world.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So playing for your national team is just an ordinary job? Even someone like Tendulkar has gone on record as expressing his pride of donning the national colours. All major sports personnel in all fields have gone on record expressing exactly why playing for their national team is so much more than job. What about the South African people? Dont he owe them?

Let me ask you this question if you were a SA native you think you’ll have the same way of thinking?

Sorry to say but I didnt expext this type of posting at all. I sincerely hope you never have to see someone like Kohli or Bhuvaneshwar quit all international cricket and freelance in T20 leagues across the world.

It is not an ordinary job. There is a lot of pride involved and what not. All I am saying is, ABD is 34. If he feels like he has served his purpose on the field representing RSA and is happy with settling down into pursuing a career in cricket without having the immense pressure of national duties, then I do not see what is wrong with that. I think he has given his everything to cricket and he really doesn't owe anyone anything now.

I think making it a patriotism and nationalism issue is a very low blow.

You bring up Kohli and Bhuvi. If they retired right now to play T20 cricket, that would be odd and questionable. Because they are not even 30 yet. IF they decide to hang up their boots around 35, then I wouldn't have a problem with it (besides the emotional reaction I would have being a fan)

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India

Neo 7

National Board President
India
Avengers
Well , there was surely "nothing left in the tank" through the past one year or so .

D

Dutch

Well played indeed Alistair Cook. Absolute legend. The time is right and you can leave the field with your head held very high. A sad day but proud he batted for ‘us’.[DOUBLEPOST=1535991211][/DOUBLEPOST]
England's problems increase further. They fail to find one suitable opener now they need two.
I see it as a massive opportunity for two players to create a special partnership: glass is always half full where I come from!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Curiosity says where's Haseeb Hameed?
Exactly not the correct thread but he was a special talent that just died past that India series.

On the current topic, a big thank you for to Cook for his service over the years and what an opener he was. England always were lucky with their openers in Trescothik, Strauss and then Cook and he made a name for himself. Legend opener who did not have a good last few months but nevertheless will remain legend. Good luck on the journey ahead.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
The one thing I envy about non-Asian international players is that they get timing right.

A wonderful player for England. They are surely gonna miss his services. I hope he goes out with a bang even if it means it's against India.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Congratulations Alastair Cook on a wonderful career! He was a guy who could seriously challenge Tendulkar's records. A humble guy who exudes a calm and pleasing personality that's fast becoming extinct. Good luck for an even better second innings!

The one thing I envy about non-Asian international players is that they get timing right.

A wonderful player for England. They are surely gonna miss his services. I hope he goes out with a bang even if it means it's against India.

True that. But I also think Asian players (more so India players and to an extent Pakistan players too; Sri Lankans are mostly immune to this as shown by Sanga/Mahela's exits which could even be classified as early) have cricket mad fanatics behind them and in the millions that the adulation and the intensity of the fame always gets to them and makes them want to experience it for as much as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread