TENNIS Tennis World Tour

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Full Ace and Tennis Elbow come much closer, as does TS3 for many reasons we've already discussed.

I'm glad you enjoy TS4 and find it a fun game to play... But please let's not pretend it's some sort of realistic simulation of the sport.

I've specifically mentioned "console" in my post - Full Ace and Tennis Elbow are not available on consoles so can't say anything about them. As for TS3 I had made my opinion clear about the game. I didn't like the "Risk" shot gimmick at all and found TS4 to be a much better gaming experience so for me TS4 is the closest simulation of tennis gaming on console.

D

Deleted member 9102

Going for broke by hitting flatter/harder or closer to the lines is a key part of tennis... Finding the balance between being aggressive and making too many unforced errors. Controls allowing more shot variety and another level of strategy is the last thing I'd call a gimmick.

Removing that just ended up causing repetitive side-to-side slow rallies with almost zero unforced errors... It'd be like a cricket game removing slogging and having no sixes or caught dismissals.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
No console game before or since TS4 has come close to nailing the tennis experience on a console. Stamina really was a key and you had to sometimes give up on a point to conserve your stamina if you were going up against someone like Nadal. Don't recall any other game nailing that aspect of the game either. There's a reason why TS4 is the gold standard for console tennis gaming and is rated highly coz it came the closest to nailing tennis as a sport - with or without side spin.

I did actually enjoy Top Spin 4, but for me Smash Court Tennis 2 was best tennis experience I had on a console. For its time it played really good. Had unforced errors, challenge system (one of the first games to do this ?), good doubles play, and good animations.

Edit: sorry meant Smash court tennis 3

Last edited:

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Btw when I say TS4 never had sidespin, its hard for me to 100% precisely be sure about that as the replays on it do not allow us to look from exactly behind a shot as the ball travels through the air, but it was always a case of looking at replays and they all really really did appear to go straight (I look at bloody loads of replays), and if I could ever be proved wrong on that I would probably like and love the game like everyone else did/does, but not having those physics on show to my naked eye, completely kills it for me, a bit like a hyped up Golf game where every shot flew straight, and if that ever existed, surely people would notice that !!

;)

D

Deleted member 9102

Btw when I say TS4 never had sidespin, its hard for me to 100% precisely be sure about that as the replays on it do not allow us to look from exactly behind a shot as the ball travels through the air, but it was always a case of looking at replays and they all really really did appear to go straight (I look at bloody loads of replays), and if I could ever be proved wrong on that I would probably like and love the game like everyone else did/does, but not having those physics on show to my naked eye, completely kills it for me, a bit like a hyped up Golf game where every shot flew straight, and if that ever existed, surely people would notice that !!

;)
To be fair, the ball curving in the air in a golf game is an absolutely essential part of the gameplay for many reasons... Deliberate draw/fade, mishit hooks/slices or wind would affect the vast majority of shots drastically impact their success.

In a tennis game that bit of curve is unlikely to affect the success of most shots or change the flow of rallies.... There are occasions where it does though, like the passing shot at the end of this rally in TE;

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I did actually enjoy Top Spin 4, but for me Smash Court Tennis 2 was best tennis experience I had on a console. For its time it played really good. Had unforced errors, challenge system (one of the first games to do this ?), good doubles play, and good animations.

Edit: sorry meant Smash court tennis 3

Another tennis game I enjoyed immensely was Grand Slam Tennis on Wii. Somehow liked it more than GST 2 on PS4. Even though there were issues with Wii motion plus - it needed a resync after every couple of points - but it was fun just like Wii Tennis but with more depth.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
To be fair, the ball curving in the air in a golf game is an absolutely essential part of the gameplay for many reasons... Deliberate draw/fade, mishit hooks/slices or wind would affect the vast majority of shots drastically impact their success.

In a tennis game that bit of curve is unlikely to affect the success of most shots or change the flow of rallies.... There are occasions where it does though, like the passing shot at the end of this rally in TE;

Indeed, the curve might be irrelevant for which player wins the actual point if curving the ball ala real life is not in the game............but it shows up the ignorance and arrogance of the coders, no, I correct that, it shows up the arrogance of the company employing the coders that they would prefer complex mathematics, which applying curve to the shots introduces.............to not be in their game to save costs...................................because clearly its more complex if "aftertouch", see below, is involved...

Cricket_online:- Even though you are another of the TS4 flag wavers and fair play to you as each to their own, its good that you also liked GST on Wii, it had those same ball physics to a certain extent as GST2 on X360 and PS3, and played so smooth and organically, organically being the word I have sought after this week to describe those sports games, not just Tennis, that employ real ball physics.

My "aftertouch" history:- For 3 years in the mid-90's I worked for Maxis UK (the SimCity people, now under EA) and we had a deal with Anco (those behind the Amiga/Atari ST Kick Off 1 and 2 series of games + more versions), and one of their main coders, Steve Screech, who worked with Dino Dini previously on Kick Off 1 and 2, was coding the latest version to be called Kick Off 97, and the deal was that Maxis were going to release and distribute it worldwide, and the initial builds I alpha tested (lucky me!) had no "aftertouch" on shots/crosses indeed anything.........................so guess who made it clear to Steve Screech @ Anco that they needed (similarly to Sensible Soccer in the early 90's and Microprose Soccer before it in the late 80's, I am 51!.....) to have aftertouch on the shots and crosses in the game.

It took some convincing for Steve to introduce it (strange though, because he had put aftertouch into Kick Off 1 and 2, and even though the newer Kick Off 97 engine, which was not 2D anymore and was one of the earliest attempts, ala Fifa 94/95/96, to show the action in a three dimensional view, then implementing aftertouch would be irrelevant to the graphics engine itself and it made me recall that he told me that Dino Dini used to be the main coder.............aha I thought, so your aftertouch man isnt involved now, so this will be a "straight line ball flight" product......*****) but we were all happy with the final release product, and it was all showed in its final version at a celebrity event at Arsenal Football Club, that poor club with its new manager of Dick Emery.

Its a pity it only sold a really low amount of copies though.

But even though, I must still chase up those 1997 royalty payments...

***** I know I keep on too much and everyone is bored by it, but I still cannot believe Top Spin 4 got away with this and no-one noticed, or was bothered, by straight line ball physics. Its laughable, so very Jose Mournho really. Over-hyped and full of shit. ;)

Also, Allez Allez Allez,come on the Redmen and Jurgen Klopp << yes I know this was irrelevant to the above but I am full of nerves ahead of Saturday, where hopefully Mr Salah will BEND a few into the top corner.....................

We’ve conquered all of Europe

We’re never gonna stop

From Paris down to Turkey

We’ve won the f***ing lot

Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly

The Fields of Anfield Road

We are loyal supporters

And we come from Liverpool

Last edited:

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Has anybody tried this game? From what I am reading on Twitter its a bit of a farce so far.

D

Deleted member 9102

That is worse the the AO release in Jan. At least it was slightly playable. This is just a joke.
Yeah it's a total scam - gameplay footage from the interview video 6 months ago doesn't even look any different, if anything it seems worse now. What have they been doing all this time?

They led the press and fans to believe it was developed by much of the same team as TS4, which is factually incorrect. This studio (Magic Pockets) worked on TS2 for GBA (their link to the "Top Spin franchise") and they got TS4 producer Pierre Andre in as a consultant and conveniently did one of the first interviews. They didn't lie outright, but they did deliberately mislead.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That footage was shocking. I read about the link to TS4 scam though the game does has a look and feel of TS4.

Seems like tennis gaming is more than challenging on current gen consoles ....

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
That is worse the the AO release in Jan. At least it was slightly playable. This is just a joke.

I still feel AO Tennis in January was FAR worse, but that's just my opinion, to me it's more enjoyable to play despite the fact the day one patch got delayed until later in the week

Users who are viewing this thread