TENNIS Grand Slam Tennis 2 (PS3) now playable in 2160 4K on RPCS3 emulator (clip 1 of 2)

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Its clear that EA cared, otherwise they wouldn't have created Grand Slam Tennis 2 which in 2018 can be seen to have the detail shown via emulation.

Then again they didn't care greatly when I and all my Maxis UK colleagues were made redundant in 1997 when EA took over Maxis UK and brought the Sim games in house.

I can still remember being the Technical Support rep for customers needing help loading Sim City 2000 on their PC's, and having to most of the time post our Dos 6.22 boot disks so that they would have a clear memory in order for it to load nicely. EMM386.sys? Eat your heart out..........

So really I should not be in anyway shape or form be talking up one of their games, but I cannot help it with this game.

Grand Slam Tennis 2 came out, I think but I could be wrong in terms of its timing, just after Top Spin 4, and I recall it was mostly ignored due to most people preferring straight line ball physics. People were prepared to "swerve" GST2 and be content with TS4.

How bizarre was the "swerving" !!

Each to their own.

Lol ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1528335515][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm here all week............ (that's for our UK contingent of which I am one of!)

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I personally played the 1st version with PS3 move controller and really liked the game..

Does the game look slower than normal? Shots were good though..

Now I know why I like Virtua tennis 4 more than I thought..But thanks for explaining in such stuff..I follow tennis a bit but not as crazy as for cricket but learning new things about sports is always good..

Also what's the config to run it say low resolution..

The first version of the game was only released on Wii... the only GST title released on PS3 was GST2.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
and that initial version on the Wii had really cartoon like graphics, was bloody playable too.

It was great when they ditched the cartoony-ness of the first game though in time for version 2.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
and that initial version on the Wii had really cartoon like graphics, was bloody playable too.

It was great when they ditched the cartoony-ness of the first game though in time for version 2.

I loved the whole cartoonish characters along with Wii Motion Plus - one of the first games to use the Motion Plus IIRC - and it was pretty good. An enhanced and in-depth version of Wii Tennis.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain

100% full speed (maybe 110%?) gameplay now...........this PS3 emulator come on leaps and bounds these last few days.......again though as with the others, check this out in 1 hours time as right now it only will have lower resolutions available on YouTube, I notice 4K uploads take a while to be available at that resolution...

I damn wish AO Tennis's clay courts would have dynamic dust like this...............

At this moment only available in 1080 and that does NOT show this off greatly at all...EDIT its now all good, the Roland Garros video, at 2160 4K...

STOP THE PRESS....

Here is a Wimbledon 100% full game speed (maybe 110%?) gameplay with the same game/emulator...and again, please wait till maybe an hour after I have posted this otherwise the 2160 4K option will not appear in the resolution options for this video...

Anyway thats my last post re: this nugget from I think 2011, the main thing that is exciting is not so much this game, but how well RPCS3 is coming on as an emulator, especially with its inbuilt ability to upscale and in SOME cases up-texture PS3 games to 2160 4K..............currently it is astounding................

Last edited:

Muhammad shafiq

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
this game still looks better thn ao tennis and world tour tennis which izz recently released ..
any idea how can i play this game ? thanks

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
well its the PS3 version you can see in these videos, and it was out on Xbox360 too, all back in the 2011/12 kind of era.

To play it now looking 4K 2160 like it does in the videos (in a kind of upscaled manner, its not pure 4K of course, although this emulator for some PS3 games uses texture details within each game that were not capable of being seen on the default PS3 hardware), you need a PC capable of running the PS3 emulator at a decent frame rate, and I'm on this:-

Intel Core i7-8700K CPU@ 5000 ghz with 16gb DDR4 ram @ 4133mhz, and 2 x GTX 1080 in Sli. Yep, must admit I cannot complain this end!!

Not too sure if my over the top specs are necessary though, although PS3 games on this emulator do improve in terms of frame rate as the CPU speed increases.

sportdan30

School Cricketer
My 16 year old son was able to jailbreak his old fat PS3. He uses a 2015 Macbook Pro and had no problem using an emulator to get the game on the PS3. Honestly, I don't recall ever playing GST2, but it plays a pretty fun game of tennis. Definitely not enough unforced errors, but animation and graphic wise, I've been impressed.

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
My 16 year old son was able to jailbreak his old fat PS3. He uses a 2015 Macbook Pro and had no problem using an emulator to get the game on the PS3. Honestly, I don't recall ever playing GST2, but it plays a pretty fun game of tennis. Definitely not enough unforced errors, but animation and graphic wise, I've been impressed.

Interesting to hear he got the emulator working on a 2015 Macbook Pro as I have the same Macbook too. Do you know if the emulator was RPCS3, which is what my videos were from?

You are right about the animations and graphics, quite advanced back in 2012 weren't they, and oh now magnificent when upscaled to a 4K that isnt quite pure 4K textures wise.

Madman mentioned it too about the gameplay, and I agree, they don't make mistakes hardly at all (the AI) in it.

Users who are viewing this thread