World Cup Looking Ahead to A World Cup.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
After watching Australia's poor ODI showings against England here and back home.. questions is who will make the grade for next years World Cup? Smith and Warner should come back into the side given their excellent ODI records..while our Test attack of Hazlewood, Starc and Cummins should also regain their places. My WC squad:

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Travis Head (all rounder)
M Marsh (c) (all rounder)
Alex Carey (wk)
James Faulkner (all rounder)
Hazlewood,
Starc,
Cummins
Swepson.

George Bailey/Callum Ferguson (middle order experience should it be needed)
Kane Richardson
Stoinis/ Jack Wildermuth (all rounders)
Agar/Lynn/Maxwell (all rounders)

Last edited:

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Smith and Warner will probably make an immediate return following after they fully serve their ban, and they will be playing some cricket so that'll be good, but the problem would be they haven't wont have played international cricket for a year, and they could forget a technique or two, and they'd need to get into full form really quickly if they want the cricketing world to forget this monstrosity of a performance shown in the recent ODI series (hoping that a whitewash doesn't happen) i.e win the World Cup. They are fantastic cricketers yes, have shown full maturity, content, played an innings when needed, but, Pakistan won't be easy to beat :P

Edit: They should, to be honest, let George Bailey play, he hasn't been the best the last few innings he's played, but, at 35, I think he's still got it, and he has excellent leadership qualities, so does Tim Paine, both of them are wicketkeepers, think they should call back Bailey back and let him play some games and I think there could be a bit of magic. Both also have some experience, so thats a + as well. You never know, if they let Bailey play this series, this embarrassment wouldn't have happened, they also have the experience equivalent of Smith and Warner and if not, more, but it's just my school of thought.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
As Pakistan is Australia's next Test opponent.. who do you see playing for Australia? This would be my squad:

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
S Marsh
Head
M Marsh
Paine
Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc,
Lyon.

Swepson, Agar, Weatherald, Maxwell

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
A few returning players, after they've recovered from injury, here is what I'd think would be part of the squad.

Sarfraz Ahmed
Asad Shafiq
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam
Faheem Ashraf
Haris Sohail
Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi (debut)
Imam-Ul-Haq,
Mohammad Amir
Rahat Ali
Shadab Khan (or Mohammad Nawaz), Yasir Shah
Sami Aslam
Mohammad Abbas

Edit: Australia's next test opponent is India actually, November 2018-January 2019. Next time Pakistan meet is in Zimbabwe for the Tri-Series, then in October 2018, Australia come to UAE to play Pakistan (hoping for some matches in Pakistan), for 5 ODIs and 1 T20I.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
I lifted this from the just announced ICC Future Tours Program
October: Pakistan v Australia 2018 (2 Tests, 3 T20Is) TBC

Last edited:

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It won't be easy for Warner and Smith to make a comeback into the national squad just because they are the best batsman for Australia. Not to forget, both of them were banned for ball tampering, and they won't be playing any kind of cricket for a year. CA has been so strict towards it's players and I don't they would just bring them back into the squad for their experience and past performances. They will have to play some domestic cricket and prove their current form before getting into the squad.

There has been many examples where players couldn't make a comeback after a long gap from cricket. Whatever they have achieved before won't be able to define their current state. Just for example, Yuvraj Singh had performed amazingly well in WC 2011 and was the highest run getter and became the player of the tournament. But after his brief period of medical assistance (for cancer), he was away from Cricket for more than a year. When he came back, he wasn't the same Yuvraj anymore.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
It won't be easy for Warner and Smith to make a comeback into the national squad just because they are the best batsman for Australia. Not to forget, both of them were banned for ball tampering, and they won't be playing any kind of cricket for a year. CA has been so strict towards it's players and I don't they would just bring them back into the squad for their experience and past performances. They will have to play some domestic cricket and prove their current form before getting into the squad.

There has been many examples where players couldn't make a comeback after a long gap from cricket. Whatever they have achieved before won't be able to define their current state. Just for example, Yuvraj Singh had performed amazingly well in WC 2011 and was the highest run getter and became the player of the tournament. But after his brief period of medical assistance (for cancer), he was away from Cricket for more than a year. When he came back, he wasn't the same Yuvraj anymore.
Aren’t they playing in the Canada t20 league, and also CPL?

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I read somewhere that they were banned from all forms of Cricket.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Yes they are. Smith..specially should walk straight back into the Test team.
It's still not enough cricket to guarantee a spot it the Aus team right away. They won't even be allowed to play domestic cricket during the ban. They must play at least a bit to claim a spot in the team. A year is a long time and in that time players can change. Warner and Smith will not be the same players after the ban as before it. Unless they are stellar in the T20 leagues they play, then I don't see it possible for either of those players to walk straight in when they haven't played quality cricket.

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Steve Smith and David Warner are playing the Global T20 Canada, Warner is playing for St.Lucia in the CPL, not sure about Smith.

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
My Aus WC team is
Warner
Head/Finch (depending on form)
Carey
Smith
Mitch Marsh
Stoinis
Maxwell(depending on form, if Finch opens, Head slots in at 5 and everyone comes down one position)
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood

Reserve
Stanlake
Jhye
Zampa
Lynn
Bailey

My bowling strategy is Starc Cummins Hazlewood bowl their allotted 10 overs. Agar and Maxwell split the 10 between then so somerhing like 7-8 overs Agar 2-3 overs Maxwell. Marsh and Stoinis split the 10 between them aswell. 5-6 Marsh and 4-5 Stoinis

Salman.

Chairman of Selectors
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
Pakistan
A few returning players, after they've recovered from injury, here is what I'd think would be part of the squad.

Sarfraz Ahmed
Asad Shafiq
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam
Faheem Ashraf
Haris Sohail
Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi (debut)
Imam-Ul-Haq,
Mohammad Amir
Rahat Ali
Shadab Khan (or Mohammad Nawaz), Yasir Shah
Sami Aslam
Mohammad Abbas

Edit: Australia's next test opponent is India actually, November 2018-January 2019. Next time Pakistan meet is in Zimbabwe for the Tri-Series, then in October 2018, Australia come to UAE to play Pakistan (hoping for some matches in Pakistan), for 5 ODIs and 1 T20I.
They wouldn't drop Saad, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread