Career Mode: Does Height Count?

The Quirkster

School Cricketer
G’day everyone!

I’m new here so please forgive me if I am ignorant.

I’m curious. Do the physical characteristics of my career player affect the game?

For instance, if my bowler is 210cm tall, whether I’m bowling spin or pace, will that affect the bounce of the ball?

I have a 208cm leg-spinning all-rounder and I find that, with my top-spinner, it doesn’t matter what length I choose, the ball always bounces over the stumps.

Sometimes I am signalled by the umpire that I have bowled the one bouncer allowed in the over, as if I was a fast bowler, after I had just bowled a short pitched top-spinner (which hit the batsman on the helmet).

If I was shorter, would the ball still bounce that high?

Thank you kindly for reading this far.

Cheers!

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
All I can say is I have a spinner career where the player is around 185cm tall and I've never come close to hitting the batsman on the helmet lol.

If you haven't messed with the sliders then the only thing I can really think of is it must be the height.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yes, height does play a major role in the amount of bounce the bowler gets. A simple test would be to face the SA attack, there is quite a difference in how you face Morkel vs how you face Philander. From the same length they get very different bounce.

The Quirkster

School Cricketer
Thanks so much, guys! I really appreciate it!

Sadly for me, I love making my player look like a massive, powerful mountain of pure muscle. A player that would be perfect to play rugby and rugby league, enough to be a boxing mammoth who makes Ivan Drago look like a skinny weakling.

He just looks so cool!

But if it hinders my ability to play the game because I’ve essentially lost a wicket-taking bowling option, then I’ll have to change it.

By the way, would this affect the length of my slider? When I try to bowl a slider at a “Good” length, it reaches the batsman as a full toss.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Umm.. wouldn't you bowling fuller 'solve' this 'issue'? The way I see it, extra bounce is an added advantage, coz no matter the pitch you can always hit the top of off. With a short height player, on soft pitches the older ball won't hit the upper half of stumps even when you pitch it half way down the pitch.. but your player, i'm guessing, can still do that without having to bowl half trackers.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
By the way, would this affect the length of my slider? When I try to bowl a slider at a “Good” length, it reaches the batsman as a full toss.
That shouldn't be the case. If it is, you might want to report that in the bugs thread.

Good length ball should pitch on good length, irrespective of the height of the player. Release timing may effect that but not to the point that it becomes a full toss. Or could that be a function of accuracy points you have on your player?

The Quirkster

School Cricketer
My bowler, a leggie, has 85 Accuracy.

I seem to have the same trouble with the Arm Ball when I use an off-spinner.

The Quirkster

School Cricketer
Umm.. wouldn't you bowling fuller 'solve' this 'issue'? The way I see it, extra bounce is an added advantage, coz no matter the pitch you can always hit the top of off. With a short height player, on soft pitches the older ball won't hit the upper half of stumps even when you pitch it half way down the pitch.. but your player, i'm guessing, can still do that without having to bowl half trackers.

Does it always hit the top of the off-stump regardless of the pitch?

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Does it always hit the top of the off-stump regardless of the pitch?
No, it doesn't. I meant you 'could' hit top of off if you wanted to while a shorter bowler couldn't on a soft pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread