Story The Ashes in the 90s

D

Deleted member 46200

I remember in the 70's that brilliant female fast bowler Lillian Thompson, used to tear us apart!................surely reducing the batting time makes the window a tiny bit bigger so more chance of hitting it cleanly?
Doh! Cheers dad x

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've had two epic matches in the 1990/91 series.

First Test
Aussies win the toss and bat... and bat... and bat... Huge opening partnership of over 200 from from Marsh (121) and Taylor (100) which is only broken in the penultimate over before tea. 70's also from Boon and Border as they bat for almost 2 whole days, to rack up 551/9d. Chastening figures for the England attack, with Fraser's 5/146 the best return. Malcolm goes wicketless, enjoying no luck at all but actually bowled well and was economical, under 3 an over despite recording figures of 0/131.

England's top order struggles, falling to 151/6 still 200 short of avoiding following-on. Big partnership from Stewart (177) and Lewis (55) give hope, but it's still down to the last pair Fraser and Malcolm to take me past the follow on, all out 363. Hughes gets 4/116.

Better bowling from England in the 2nd inns, remaining economical and so limiting the time the they will have to bat 2nd dig as Australia can't get ahead to set a huge total. Boon top-scores with 68, as Australia make 229-7d, leaving England a day to bat. Fraser's 5/64 gives him a 10-wicket match.

Another poor showing from England's top order leaves them 147/5 and staring at defeat. But 80s from Gower (86) and Russell (80), as well as 48 from first inns hero Stewart help England towards safety, confirmed by Fraser and Small deadbatting the last 30 minutes. England finish 279/8 and secure the draw.

Match Drawn - series 0-0

2nd Test

England win the toss and bat first. Again the top-order struggles as they fall to 50/3. But then a big partnership from Gower (125) and Smith (77) put them back on an even footing, although there are no other substantial contributions, and England are all out late on the first day for 335.

Australia see out the last few overs without loss, and the morning of the second day is relatively even as Australia lose just 2 wickets. With Taylor(77) and Border (50) passing 50, Australia are looking comfortable, but then England dominate the afternoon session as Australia collapse, with 7 wickets falling in the session. Australia are staring at a huge deficit, before a last-wicket half-century partnership from Hughes and Reid see them get up to 257, 78 behind.

England look to build a big lead, but lose Gooch without scoring. They are then grateful for Atherton (32) and Larkins (68) for a solid 50 partnership.

But the rest of the top order struggle again, until another brilliant effort from Stewart, a quite brilliant 184 taking England up to a score of 389, setting Australia a target of 468 to win. With a little over 2 days to play, a result seemed certain.

England seemed to be charging to victory with 3 early wickets as Australia fell to 23/3. But then a partnership of 142 from Border and Jones put Australia right back into the match. Jones finally fell for 84, caught behind by Russell after Tufnell got one to turn out the rough the next ball after going over the wicket to defend! England were on-top again, especially when Waugh (21) fell, and Australia were 202/5. But while Border was there, Australia wouldn't lie down and the Captain shared another 50-partnership with Matthews (32) before Matthews fell again caught Russell bowled Tufnell. Border passed 100, and England couldn't relax. Another big partnership with Healy (42) took Australia closer still, before the Aussie keeper tried to sweep one that was going way down leg from Tufnell, top-edged it onto his shoulder and was snaffled again by Russell. 339/7 and England felt they were in the home straight.

Border had other ideas, and went on and on, past 150. But Hughes couldn't repeat his first-inns form, giving Tufnell his 4th wicket caught bat-pad at short-leg. But still Border wasn't done, as he dominated yet another 50 stand, this time with Alderman. Border brought up his double hundred, an unbelievable captain's inns, and Australia could think about an improbable victory.

The game took another swing, as Alderman (16) edged Defraitas behind to Russell the very last ball before lunch on the 5th day. This meant the afternoon session started with a very simple situation - England needed 1 wicket, Australia needed 34.

Border and Reid took them ever closer, but a final surge from Malcolm saw Reid get into difficulty on a short ball, snaffled brilliantly down the leg side by Russell, and England had a dramatic 16-run victory! Border left slumped and stranded on 208*, with the minor consolation of a deserved Man of the Match.
England win by 16 runs. Series 0-1

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Lest anyone have any doubts, I absolutely played every ball of both of those games! One went the distance and the other went into the 2nd session of the final day.

My observations from those 2 matches are:

• This is the best state I’ve personally played the game in.
  • That said, I’m concerned the game seems to have gone backwards in 2 areas: use of part time bowlers, and having the right fielders in the right places respecting their academy attributes. This is a real shame.
  • I don’t seem to have the offside edging issue others have complained about, as the above videos make clear
  • I got few edges to slip in either game although both pitches were very batsman friendly
  • It’s great that the AI gets in and goes big. The desperation I’ve had at times during big partnerships and thinking about my field is great.
  • There was true drama and tension in both matches.
  • Pitch deterioration is really missing

——-
Ps if anyone is interested I am playing Veteran, Medium, Medium.
The bowling sliders are default.

Batting sliders were default for the 1st test and 1st inns of 2nd test, then I played around with them. Now they are length indicator timing reduced to 20. All other sliders increased to 53. (My understanding is this should now be harder than default medium?)

Physics was also default for 1st test and 1st inns of 2nd test. Now pace min is up to 53 and pace max up to 56

rasdan

Club Captain
Lest anyone have any doubts, I absolutely played every ball of both of those games! One went the distance and the other went into the 2nd session of the final day.

My observations from those 2 matches are:

• This is the best state I’ve personally played the game in.
  • That said, I’m concerned the game seems to have gone backwards in 2 areas: use of part time bowlers, and having the right fielders in the right places respecting their academy attributes. This is a real shame.
  • I don’t seem to have the offside edging issue others have complained about, as the above videos make clear
  • I got few edges to slip in either game although both pitches were very batsman friendly
  • It’s great that the AI gets in and goes big. The desperation I’ve had at times during big partnerships and thinking about my field is great.
  • There was true drama and tension in both matches.
  • Pitch deterioration is really missing

——-
Ps if anyone is interested I am playing Veteran, Medium, Medium.
The bowling sliders are default.

Batting sliders were default for the 1st test and 1st inns of 2nd test, then I played around with them. Now they are length indicator timing reduced to 20. All other sliders increased to 53. (My understanding is this should now be harder than default medium?)

Physics was also default for 1st test and 1st inns of 2nd test. Now pace min is up to 53 and pace max up to 56

sounds like you are having a blast my friend as am I,currently playing tour mode india v pakistan and really into it.also playin veteran,medium,medium and at times you really have to think like a captain to break the big partnerships or potentially break one before its started.still struggle a little bowling spin but slowly getting better.Also i wish i could bat as competently as you,i have real trouble picking the line and length and my reflexes are not great so producing good footwork is something i also struggle with.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
When the AI is chasing 202 to level the series but you have them 109/4 and you drop a bat pad last ball before lunch :(

Users who are viewing this thread