Ashes Cricket General Discussion

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
AI commentary is prob impossible to do very convincingly without a FIFA budget, but IMO they could improve things with less commentary and applying the test "Is this something you hear real commentators say? Is the comment in a format that real commentators tend to use?".

As long as the commentary scripts are bringing me stuff that I only ever hear in video games, I'll keep it switched off.

abdul170

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i have been plying online vs random ppl since start, i m on rank 2 in online leaderboard, but its frozen since ages, any hope to fix this online leader board ranking, in upcomingpatch

abdul170

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
another bug face in online. can any 1 help i have to join online session via custom public session,,, on direct steam invitation game gets hanged any fix?

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Ok folks, quick detour here. I found the old Atari ST disks with the prototype cricket game I wrote at age 13 / 14, managed to get some of the files into an emulator.

When DBC first came out with the reverse batting cam, I probably made some terrible posts on here about designing a reverse cam batting game back in the 90s. This is it.

Basically the idea is that you do footwork with WASD and you have to hit the ball by clicking on it with the mouse. I always felt the "hitting the ball" bit was missing in cricket game design, so this was my solution.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
AI commentary is prob impossible to do very convincingly without a FIFA budget, but IMO they could improve things with less commentary and applying the test "Is this something you hear real commentators say? Is the comment in a format that real commentators tend to use?".

As long as the commentary scripts are bringing me stuff that I only ever hear in video games, I'll keep it switched off.

I watched some gameplay vids when deciding if I should buy the game. Commentary has been turned off the entire time I’ve owned my copy and it will never, ever be turned on even if I do go back to playing.

I usually have Spotify on when I play anyway.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
It's a massively work intensive feature to include, as well. Nightmare. Huge amount of recording and editing required just to create the audio assets, which will prob still sound a bit fake even if you do everything else perfectly.

On the plus side, if they improve the AI captaincy + game awareness there might be some useful hooks to hang bits of commentary on without having to create a load of new assets.

charles04

Club Cricketer
Really wish that one could delete a specific match when playing in tour mode. Was playing a 4 test series, which was locked at 1 all . Started the 3rd test but while picking my team accidentally made one of my bowler the wicketkeeper. Didnt realise i had done this till in the game i went to select this bowler only to find him not in the list. Wasnt prepared to play on one bowler short, but obviously cant delete that specific test. So had to delete the whole tour. :noway

rasdan

Club Captain
Ok folks, quick detour here. I found the old Atari ST disks with the prototype cricket game I wrote at age 13 / 14, managed to get some of the files into an emulator.

When DBC first came out with the reverse batting cam, I probably made some terrible posts on here about designing a reverse cam batting game back in the 90s. This is it.

Basically the idea is that you do footwork with WASD and you have to hit the ball by clicking on it with the mouse. I always felt the "hitting the ball" bit was missing in cricket game design, so this was my solution.

i remember playing a cricket game on commodore 64 but i never knew much about cricket then and had no idea what was going on!just found it,it was graham gooch's test cricket came out in 85!man how old have i become haha

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Ok it's a slow news day so I'm going to share another fabulous tale from the beta team archives.

This year I had the idea of going into the nets with a helmet cam so I could compare the footage with pro cam. I particularly wanted to get a feel for how far deliveries I saw in the nets were really deviating.

So I got some footage from some fake turf nets on a wet day with a ball with a fat seam, where the ball tends to move around a lot. The key here is that, even at medium pace, the seam movement doesn't happen until I'm already delivering the bat on drives. Once you've got bat momentum going the wrong way it's very hard to fix, even if you see the movement clearly.

I also generated some fake hawkeye from reverse cam nets, again to try and get a look at how big the deviation looks on hawkeye compared to my perception when batting.

Rhone

International Cricketer
Ok it's a slow news day so I'm going to share another fabulous tale from the beta team archives.

This year I had the idea of going into the nets with a helmet cam so I could compare the footage with pro cam. I particularly wanted to get a feel for how far deliveries I saw in the nets were really deviating.

So I got some footage from some fake turf nets on a wet day with a ball with a fat seam, where the ball tends to move around a lot. The key here is that, even at medium pace, the seam movement doesn't happen until I'm already delivering the bat on drives. Once you've got bat momentum going the wrong way it's very hard to fix, even if you see the movement clearly.

I also generated some fake hawkeye from reverse cam nets, again to try and get a look at how big the deviation looks on hawkeye compared to my perception when batting.

I can't believe you beta guys did this kind of thing. I am perpetually fascinated by how much BigAnt outsourced QA and apparently R&D to forum members. Your generosity and patience have to be commended.

I've been playing quite a bit of Ashes recently and as far as batting goes I really find it hard to fault the gameplay. The only remaining issues for me are the lack of a reliable backfoot square cut shot and the continued absence of the trigger sensitive defensive shots. I miss nurdling singles like you could in DBC17.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I can't believe you beta guys did this kind of thing. I am perpetually fascinated by how much BigAnt outsourced QA and apparently R&D to forum members.

I must correct any false impression you might have that I make any sort of R&D contribution, or in fact that I make any very important contributions at all.

I play new builds and chat about what I think with the other testers and BA, which is pretty much exactly what everybody else on planetcricket is doing.

The video stuff is purely me trying to check/improve my own feedback. It's not footage that BA are using as a reference and it's not part of their design process, and I'm sure nobody in R&D is at all influenced by the contents of my posts.

Users who are viewing this thread