Asia Cup 2018 - UAE (September 2018)

Who do you think will win the Asia Cup 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Kumbis

SRT Quits captaincy because its effects negative to his batting, he was not a good captain either.

Virat is batting well, but lacks captaincy. Virat always follow MSD when it's come to crucial captaincy decision in the field, without MSD Rohit can handle this presure. Batting is not an issue. Virat is a doer, but Rohit is a watcher. In Captaincy watchers are the real leader.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So as few have mentioned here are some questions

1. Is Ambati Raydu the player to go to? I think he is another ordinary MEN IN BLUE player who will play exceptionally well otherwise.
2. MS Dhoni - Sad but I really think either he bats up or is not in the team. Although he did play decently he was no where close to winning the match for us.
3. KL Rahul should be taking the place of Raydu for sure.
4. Kedar Jadav though got wickets at crucial interval he is not the Jadhav he was bought for. Have not seen a single meaningful innings from him. Plus his knack of getting injured is the only thing he is consistent at.

My idea lineup would be

1. Shikhar Dhawan
2. Rohit Sharma
3. KL Rahul
4. Virat Kohli
5. M.S Dhoni
6. Dinesh Kartick/Raina/Pandey/Jadhav/Someone else
7. Hardik Pandya
8. Ravi Jadeja/ Chahal
9. Kuldeep Yadav/Chahal
10. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
11. Jasprit Bumrah

For me Number 6 and 7 is really dicey. Cannot believe we do not have anyone.
  • I am actually confused between DK and Rayudu. Surely we cannot include both of them in playing XI. I prefer Rayudu over DK as I don't think DK can score big which is necessary if you play at #4.
  • Regarding Dhoni, I am on the same opinion as you are. Aalay has written exactly what I think about Dhoni in previous page. He is in the team only for his wicket keeping and to help the captain on field. His batting is no more reliable and I feel even if he bats at #4 which many people like to see, he won't score big.
  • As Aalay said, Jadhav has sealed #6 spot. I am impressed with him. He will bowl 5-6 handy overs and in multiple occasions, he has picked up crucial wickets which has turned the match. He can slog hard and his batting is pretty good. So, I feel Jadhav should bat at #6 in WC and we should continue with him.
  • For #4, it should be between Rahul, Manish and Rayudu. I strongly feel we should go with one of them as they can score 100s unlike DK whom I feel we can extract maximum 50 runs. If top order fails, we need someone who can score big and it's one among these guys who can do that. I think Rayudu will get a nod ahead of Rahul and Pandey.
My lineup would be

Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli
Rayudu/Rahul/Pandey
Dhoni
Jadhav
Pandya/Jadeja
Chahal/Jadeja
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Bhuvi

I will keep Khaleel as backup over Kaul/forgot the other player's name as I am impressed with his bowling in this tournament. Hope selectors include him for future series too against Windies and whoever we are playing against. And I see many people picking Kohli to bat at #4 to stable the middle order but I believe he should bat at #3 always. The more balls he faces, the better it will be for team.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think one major positive of this tournament has been the team totals hovering around 220-270. Felt like the late 90s and early 2000s. It was a refreshing change from seeing teams score 300+ on a regular basis.

From India's perspective:
  • Rohit Sharma has probably staked claim for ODI captaincy. I do not see it happening in the near future as I do not see either Kohli stepping down or the Board doing something about it, but it's gonna happen for sure.
  • Barring the opening combination, rest of the batsmen appear fragile. It's a big worry. Of course, Kohli would come back, but still no.4,5,6,7 are an issue.
  • Bowlers have performed reasonably well. That Bumrah's yorker to Rubel in the Final was orgasmic.
  • What's up with Kedar Jadhav and injuries? How can someone be so brittle?
  • Bhuvi's form is a huge plus point
  • DK seems to be in danger now. No real contribution from him.
  • MSD's batting is again a big concern, but he should be able to keep his place in the side for other reasons
  • Khaleel looks promising, still very early to make any judgement though
  • Jadeja seems to be more consistent with his batting now with those handy 20s
Overall, a successful tournament for India.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...-assurance-consistency-middle-order-aspirants

This interview of Rohit Sharma (post Asia Cup win) further confirms why he should be India's full time captain, ahead of Virat Kohli. Especially this paragraph -

When we came here, I wanted to give them the assurance first that they will play all the games. That's how you make players. You give them the assurance of going and playing freely without taking pressure. If you know that you're going to be dropped after two games, it's not easy for anyone. I think it is important to keep that team consistently going, and that is something that we spoke at the start of the tournament. I wanted to give everybody a fair run and play more games. That's how you will understand a player's capability because in one-odd game you can't judge. You need quite a few games."

You can just see the thought process here. Rayudu and Karthik were given a good run in this tournament and batted well for the team. They might not have gotten huge runs, but considering that the pitches this tournament were mostly very tricky, they batted for the situation and helped the team win. Also for that dead rubber game, Rohit just went full monty and dropped almost all the frontline players, including himself, so that the bench gets the much needed game time. I'm pretty confident that if Kohli was captain, he would've said "oh we need to treat every game as a must-win and so we should not be dropping too many players".

Kohli is still a great batsman (TBH, I am proud of his batting and the way he overcame the England conditions to have a fantastic series) but I seriously think India would be best served to have Rohit as full time captain and Kohli as the premier batsman. In tests, it should be Rahane with Pujara or Ashwin as vice captain.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
MSD's career graph is starting to remind me of Ganguly's graph now. By the end, dada had started struggling with his batting and with the changing game. He would struggle to get off the mark and rotate strike at will putting the batting lineup under pressure. And yet he was still the best mind we had for the captaincy role and we as fans almost wished that he could ghost captain the team while vacating his spot in the lineup for someone else to score runs. It's eerily similar.

Nothing wrong in how he played in the final. But the MSD of good old days would have stuck around till the end and finished the game (with ease)

Users who are viewing this thread