Ashes Cricket General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Would love to be wrong but I think that’s it for Ashes ?
It'd be nice to know one way or the other. But a shame if another game was shelved when they are some major issues still apparent. Even if certain issues can't be resolved at least getting single matches (test, ODI, T20) to a consistent and largely realistic standard would be nice.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
It'd be nice to know one way or the other. But a shame if another game was shelved when they are some major issues still apparent. Even if certain issues can't be resolved at least getting single matches (test, ODI, T20) to a consistent and largely realistic standard would be nice.

Especially when something like fixing the lack of out-swing seems to only take the changing of a few numbers.

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Especially when something like fixing the lack of out-swing seems to only take the changing a few numbers.
Likewise, with the T20 issue, the AI going into test mode at the end of an innings, surely it would be a simple fix. Even if every team went down swinging it would be more realistic.

Spoobir

Likewise, with the T20 issue, the AI going into test mode at the end of an innings, surely it would be a simple fix. Even if every team went down swinging it would be more realistic.

There is a chance that one is my fault as well since I complained about the AI going god-mode in the last 5 in ODIs. What we got instead wasn't exactly what I had in mind though. :p

D

Dutch

I would love an early access for a next game but not sure it will/can happen[DOUBLEPOST=1538835351][/DOUBLEPOST]Early access is of course no guarantee of success.....Think Elite Dangerous.....

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
There is a chance that one is my fault as well since I complained about the AI going god-mode in the last 5 in ODIs. What we got instead wasn't exactly what I had in mind though. :p
I'm no fan of sliders, at least when they are for changing the physics of the game, but when you reach the point of implementing them for edges why not just give us some for run rates or strike rates?

Let us set the average strike rate for batsman of a particular mentality or run rates we would like to see during different phases of a match.

If there was to be no further support then just let us mess with this game even more.

@Dutch I think early access would be a great way to get the game to a better 1.0. A step by step process, start with one format, get it right, move on to the next. Even if any licenses are not included until full release at least people could help feedback on the actual gameplay.

Rhone

County Cricketer

There were major issues with Dbc17 that were never resolved. Stats and bat/pad smash spring to mind.

It's a shame that the patch cycle of dbc17 and Ashes were so similar. Heavily bugged launch versions meant that pretty much all of the subsequent patches focused of fixing basic issues rather than polishing and refining things like AI, stats and field placements.

Buying Ashes felt like buying a game in early access beta. It was months before it was playable for me. It's decent now but could be so much better with a bit of TLC. Sadly I think that's it though. There is no money to be made in patching a year old game.

Serious question. If BA announced Ashes Cricket 2 on Monday, would you guys buy it? I really don't think I would after Ashes. Not for 50 quid anyway.

john marston

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I agree with Rhone. That’s problem of supporting small companies. After the initial start they don’t care much. I mean a Rockstar Games is for Rs 3999 and BA cricket games are for Rs 3000. Ashes is also my last game to be purchased from these makers. They serve half baked dish. They launch a game and for the next couple of years they only are trying to fix it. I mean this is ridiculous. I just hope EA comes back to cricket and they too can do to something to cut down on piracy. But as of now it looks like BA is slowly getting out of the window!

D

Dutch

I agree with Rhone. That’s problem of supporting small companies. After the initial start they don’t care much.
I dont agree with them not caring. I think it is a matter of recources for the most part. I think they do care. I dont however think they go about it in a right way to make that clearer. Whatever the governing company line is is one thing, the work ethic of those on the workfloor is in the right place and they have absolute passion for their work. Based on factual experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
There were major issues with Dbc17 that were never resolved. Stats and bat/pad smash spring to mind.

It's a shame that the patch cycle of dbc17 and Ashes were so similar. Heavily bugged launch versions meant that pretty much all of the subsequent patches focused of fixing basic issues rather than polishing and refining things like AI, stats and field placements.

Buying Ashes felt like buying a game in early access beta. It was months before it was playable for me. It's decent now but could be so much better with a bit of TLC. Sadly I think that's it though. There is no money to be made in patching a year old game.

Serious question. If BA announced Ashes Cricket 2 on Monday, would you guys buy it? I really don't think I would after Ashes. Not for 50 quid anyway.
Unless there was something incredible that won me over I wouldn't. I'd wait to see what the reaction was on here.

I guess we all have our minimum expectations of what we want to see from the game. For me it's to be able to play AI in test, ODI and T20 formats and get a satisfactory experience. If Ashes is left in the state it is now it'd be two games in a row where those expectations haven't been met. I'm all for supporting BA, it's great that they are making cricket games and I'd love them to make a great one. I reckon at least 10 sales across their releases of cricket games are from me or friends who I have told about the game. But the return on that investment, including the time spent creating content in the academy (I know that's my choice), has not always been worth it.

Spoobir

Unless there was something incredible that won me over I wouldn't. I'd wait to see what the reaction was on here.

I guess we all have our minimum expectations of what we want to see from the game. For me it's to be able to play AI in test, ODI and T20 formats and get a satisfactory experience. If Ashes is left in the state it is now it'd be two games in a row where those expectations haven't been met. I'm all for supporting BA, it's great that they are making cricket games and I'd love them to make a great one. I reckon at least 10 sales across their releases of cricket games are from me or friends who I have told about the game. But the return on that investment, including the time spent creating content in the academy (I know that's my choice), has not always been worth it.

My big problem with Ashes right now is the Career Mode. The AI just refuses to score runs against you because they are teeing off against your teammates in the simulated overs. Makes it very tedious bowling 10 over spells for 10 runs and no wicket.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
My big problem with Ashes right now is the Career Mode. The AI just refuses to score runs against you because they are teeing off against your teammates in the simulated overs. Makes it very tedious bowling 10 over spells for 10 runs and no wicket.
This might not be a popular opinion; but if they can't get player v AI games working well enough, maybe things like Career Mode and online (even the simulation aspect at all) need to take a backseat in future until they can be given the TLC they need. If they can't be done well enough for a release then maybe they can be added to the game as a patch or not included at all unless they can be done right.

There's nothing wrong with ambition, but if the basics can't support it, then the problems just snowball.

Spoobir

This might not be a popular opinion; but if they can't get player v AI games working well enough, maybe things like Career Mode and online (even the simulation aspect at all) need to take a backseat in future until they can be given the TLC they need. If they can't be done well enough for a release then maybe they can be added to the game as a patch or not included at all unless they can be done right.

There's nothing wrong with ambition, but if the basics can't support it, then the problems just snowball.

The career mode problems are tied to the overall game problems though. Obviously I can't 100% know what is going on in the code, but I'm pretty sure it's all because the AI has the stupid predetermined run-rate. They're going at 5 an over against your teammates in simulation, so they don't need to attack the player bowler at all. Obviously better simulation would be nice, but the real issue is the run-rate on rails. Getting rid of that, while still managing to have competitive AI batsmen, has to be the number one priority of any future game.

Little Timmy

Little Timmy
Profile Flag
England
Hi

I know that this is the sort of thing that'll get me shot down for not having read every post in every thread but...

... as somebody who hasn't played for a while but has updated with the latest patch on PS4...

... if I start a career, is it likely to work fine or after a few years once I start getting global contracts will my skills randomly max out rendering all my efforts pointless or has that been fixed?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread