Your Cricket Discuss Your Cricket

jonathon1717

School Cricketer
hi guys i know this isnt revelant but , wondering if you guys could give me some valuable feedback on my website Cobra Cricket Bat Company – Cobra Cricket Company we are a new brand and i wondered what you guys focus on when buying cricket gear ? is it the willow or the stickers and which are your favourite bats at the moment ? and also how much does a player wearing the brand influence your purchase . Also what really annoys you with certain gear ?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Tried a different gripping style I watched in a Ricky Ponting batting tips video and it made a big difference. Now, the ball is hitting the middle of the bat most times, very very less edges or hitting toe end and its a great grip to have for pulls. No wonder Ponting was great at pulling the ball. That said, my natural style of flick off the legs with the wrists is very difficult to execute with this new grip. The ball now goes to cow corner. With my natural grip, I could use my wrists to to tuck it anywhere from square leg to fine leg.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Played cricket last week after more than 2 years. Oh my God ! I was exhausted. Couldn't play another match. It was embarrassing, really.

Marcd89

Club Cricketer
Any Medium pace bowlers?

I started back at cricket after 7 years (moved away from my local club and didn't want to play for anything else) and they called me up as they were short players for the season. I used too bowl pretty quick inswing and took the bowling averages several years.

I came back and bowled as I always did, same run up, same action and same releases yet everything I bowl is down leg, I simply can not get the ball to land on the off side, unless of course I take a 2 step run up and focus it down the off side. I also experience quite a bit of pain in my back and shoulders while bowling.

I was wondering, if I switched to a front-on instead of side-on, is it possible this is the more accurate and less back intense action? Will front-on damage my ability to inswing the ball? I don't have a full wicket to practice at my house but enough room for my run up and gather and the front on seems less sore.

I have 3 nights of practice before the next match so would love to get some advice before I meet up with the team again.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I started back at cricket after 7 years (moved away from my local club and didn't want to play for anything else) and they called me up as they were short players for the season. I used too bowl pretty quick inswing and took the bowling averages several years.
I'd be reluctant to have you try to do something entirely alien to you - making your body do something entirely new after it grew around the routine of following an established pattern of movements sounds like a bit of an injury trap. My best advice would be to start out bowling cross-seam. If you're a natural inswing bowler, it's likely that that is carrying the ball down the leg side, so take that out of the equation and find your lines before you start swinging the ball again.

The other very basic thing I'd suggest is that you find a flat wall and draw a straight line on the ground with chalk or something, and then repeat your action until the ball keeps hitting the chalk on its way back to you. It might not be the most relevant kind of practice, but it will help you to understand the difference in feel when you push a ball down leg or outside off and then be able to replicate the feel of getting the ball exactly where you want it to go.

Good luck!

Marcd89

Club Cricketer
I'd be reluctant to have you try to do something entirely alien to you - making your body do something entirely new after it grew around the routine of following an established pattern of movements sounds like a bit of an injury trap. My best advice would be to start out bowling cross-seam. If you're a natural inswing bowler, it's likely that that is carrying the ball down the leg side, so take that out of the equation and find your lines before you start swinging the ball again.

The other very basic thing I'd suggest is that you find a flat wall and draw a straight line on the ground with chalk or something, and then repeat your action until the ball keeps hitting the chalk on its way back to you. It might not be the most relevant kind of practice, but it will help you to understand the difference in feel when you push a ball down leg or outside off and then be able to replicate the feel of getting the ball exactly where you want it to go.

Good luck!
Good tips mate, thank you very much.

Especially the chalk bit, I don't have the room for my full run up and delivery but I do have enough for the delivery so I'll practice that when not in the nets.

Hopefully all goes well and I can pick up a few wickets this season!

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
@Markkkkk i got your point, but we generally play in T20 tournaments, so can't take much time to settle down.
But will take you valuable advice in timing the ball, rather than slogging.

I used to have this issue. For the longest time I was called a stroke maker but when T20 came about I suddenly became 'too slow to play T20'. Suddenly I started believing myself that I wasn't fit to play the format. Then, a long time friend told me that I was simply losing shape and trying to hit too hard. He asked me to watch the ball and suddenly everything fell into place. It was like someone unlocked a chest full of runs. The second thing I realised myself is the importance of knowing your game. You won't be able to cream every bowler or delivery even if you watch the ball like a hawk. Try and identify where you can score your 4's and 6's and then the remaining deliveries look for the 1's and 2's. The latter was severely missing from my game and once I sorted out my cardio and got fit along with the knowledge of accepting that I can't hit everything for 4/6, everything started working a treat.

Last 2 seasons I've been the bloke with the best Avg and SR for my team. This season I'm struggling a bit but I know that's down to the extra 12 lbs and anxiety to hit too many too soon.

Good luck!

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I've been struggling with my reflexes lately so I decided to throw myself a challenge. I bought a hockey ball made from PVC to play on a concrete pitch. Since the PVC ball skids through much faster I've to watch the ball right till the very end and the bat in the line in time. I've been only playing it for about a fortnight but it has definitely helped. For the bowlers, especially spinners, it can be a good ploy to bowl with it to try and get a practice on how to bowl when there is dew and its very difficult to grip a cricket ball.

JjMysterio2813

School Cricketer
Hi, I was doing some research and was wondering what the top cricket problems you face in training or cricket matches?
When batting at a high level in my club, I feel like their bowling isn't fast enough as they are quite a lot younger than me. I want to have a challenge while batting in the nets otherwise, I feel like I am not improving.

Namaswathi9

School Cricketer
Hi, I was doing some research and was wondering what the top cricket problems you face in training or cricket matches?
One of my main problems in cricket while training, is that I cannot judge whether I have got the perfect pitch and length or not. I wish there was a way for your ball to leave a mark where it bounced so I can see how well or badly I did on that ball.

DrewBi

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
I had a good practice today.

I was trying to find a run-up that was good for me, I still haven't found it. My line and length was quite good. I have worked on my action a bit, trying to deliver it taller. I recently have got the new ball and the old ball swinging the way I want it to. My leg and off cutters are coming along nicely.

My batting technique has come along way in the past few days. I have been focusing on getting my front foot to the ball and getting my weight forward and standing on the balls of my feet. I need to keep my head and eyes more level.

SiriusBlack

ICC Chairman
t59riqvl7ed31.png

Found this on Reddit this morning. Turns out there's a ten over cricket league in Europe, with teams mostly comprised of immigrant communities.. and it's broadcast in Australia! Standard of cricket is as low as you'd expect but I'm glad to see the game reaching to every corner of the globe.

Reason I'm bringing this up is because I haven't picked up a cricket bat in years (picked up a cricket ball yesterday because I still have this match ball :D) because no one really plays cricket around here, though I did see people around play once at a park in the Dallas area. I'm just curious - to those living outside the more established cricket playing nations - do you play cricket often? How do you find people to play with and how well known is the sport? During the World Cup I'd tell my friends that I'm watching the Bangladesh games and their response would mostly be something along the lines of "oh cricket - is that the one you play with a paddle?" :haha

Users who are viewing this thread