My thoughts for the future iteration for BA cricketing series

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I dont think he was neccessarily comparing the two games as such, just stating that a process whereby the user could contribute to looking at ways of improving the game and testing their outcome would be well received. At the moment there is no way of knowing whether anything is still happening with the game....things have gone very, very quiet.

To Be very honest , things has allways been "Very Quiet" , since release of Ashes in here.

BA have shown us the "talk to the hand" side of them since release.

Maybe once the next game needs to be drummed up and advertised , will they make a quick guest appearance.

Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I wish one day we can have a game which feels very realistic. If a batsman like Alastair Cook(example) is batting, there should be some way in which we cannot play at strike rate above 50 in Tests (not always, but most of the times)
Or if we are Kohli, then we should have a good strike rate in any format. Plus every player's stance, way of playing a particular shot, footwork, mentality etc., should be realistic and accurate. Then I would love to play cricket. Otherwise, there is no fun.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
. Plus every player's stance, way of playing a particular shot, footwork, mentality etc., should be realistic and accurate. Then I would love to play cricket. Otherwise, there is no fun.
I hear what you are saying but I wouldn’t like to be the publisher footing the bill

ASHES_FAN

Associate Cricketer
I just hope the next realistic game that they make, instead of having all boundary lengths based on the type of match(t20, 50 over) it should be based on the actual location. Also maybe allow non-circular stadiums. The fielders should be allowed to be placed anywhere, not preselected locations

rex007king

Club Cricketer
Kindly go through all the pages of the document and let me know what you think

Some very good suggestions. Lets see.
  • Page 1: I don't like this one simply because what will happen if player hit the ball in the wrong area but still get a boundary or a mishit gets edged and went to boundary. It will force players to play in a Bookish way, with the point system you're suggesting. However I'm in favor of any boundary or catch drop or beaten on swing affecting Batter's temperament and confidence meter. I'll suggest a minimum confidence level required after which the Batter can play Arial shots depending upon the class of Batter vis a vis Defensive, Aggressive or Brute. While the Brute can play arial shots from the first delivery the defensive batsman needs spend some time on pitch. I think BA also is going in similar direction.
    • I liked the second part. Match Objectives for each match will be great. But only for important International matches or IPL etc. At club level or Domestic level, it will soon get repetitive and therefore frustrating. Also this will add extra seriousness, responsibility and difference to International matches from club matches. Right now Ashes do have Career Objectives but they are not match specific, and often absurd like take 76wickets, hit 32fours etc.
    • Dynamic batting order suggestion is awesome. Agree fully. (I think in Ashes too once you become Captain of the team you can decide the batting order etc. Also can change bowlers between spells.)
  • Page 2: Injury System
    • Before that we may also need a collision system.
    • What happens if the player gets injured and can't play is the important question.
    • Absence of STAR Player affecting Team performance or Win chances, while regular Player getting injured not affecting so much.
    • This is useful only in a mode where you are playing as the whole team, like Manager mode in FIFA.
    • In single player mode, what will the player do when injured and not in team.
    • Simply advancing time in game menu like in PES, is boring.
    • Also injury in Cricket game is too much coding for too little outcome. Cricketers seldom gets injured during matches unlike footballers.
    • The batting bowling meter and coach advicing is not useful in my opinion, because it works only for all rounders.
    • Fielding: needs to be revamped. More animations are required. Still no matter what people will skip Fielding. Net practice for Fielding needs to be incorporated and a minigame.
  • Page 3: Not useful in gameplay, but more about each player have their own unique identity and style. Simply about more animations and Player licenses.
  • Page 4: Too much meters will make it RTS rather than simulator. Again it will make the gameplay too bookish and the chance factor will be eliminated. Selection in Domestic or Internationls is already there. However it is not highlighted what performance/requirement gets you through the next level, but some system is in place for it.
  • Page 5,6,7: Bowling Controls
    • My main problem while bowling is that I have to look at the bottom corner of the screen while my player delivers the ball, hence I miss the action.
    • I'll suggest the bowling control meters be shifted to the middle of the screen.
    • Press A and GoodLength area on the pitch highlights.
    • Then R-Stick decides the angle and point of landing of the ball. Get rid of the small meters at the bottom corner.
    • Speed and spin of the Ball be decided by the rotation of the stick.
    • Clockwise rotation = Off break; Anticlockwise = Doosra
    • Similarly different rotation of the Stick can be assigned different delivery types.
    • The ball chart you mentioned on page 5 is similar to what Ashes2017 is doing. For swing bowling you can select the InSwinger with L-Stick then select the amount of swing also. This is absent in DBC17.
    • So I am OK with the Bowling controls, but mid screen or more immersive and subtle meters will be much better in my opinion.
  • Page 8 : Batting
    • Again this is related with uniqueness of player attributes. More graphical appeal than gameplay, and this will happen only with more player licenses and animations.
    • I'll suggest BA instead of allowing us to choose from the 5 predetermined Batting styles.
    • Must allow customization for each Shot, something along the lines of how 2K does in NBA or WWE games.
    • Where player can choose their moves and mix n match.
    • This will cover many of your suggestions on this page.
    • Agree with the fact that Ball Physix and Ball tracking engines needs to be improved.
  • Page 9: Fielding
    • The Fielding system is broken as simple as that. need to be built up from scratch.
    • With improved Ball mechanics, real time Ball tracking, weather effects and 10times more animations.
    • Get rid of all the current Fielding animations especially the running and jumping mid air catch.
    • So agree with you on this.
    • Reflex Catching : Instead of 'using R-Stick to move the ball inside the circle and pressing A' for catching it would be much better both visually and gameplay wise if different movement of the L R sticks is used as QTE for catching.
    • Random movement of RStick may prompt on the screen and player needs to copy the same movement in time to take the catch.
    • LStick decides the direction in which player needs to dive
    • RStick decides what rotation (half, quarter or full circle) needs to be executed to make the catch.
    • This is much faster, intuitive interesting and immersive in my opinion rather than pushing the ball inside circle and pressing A.
  • Page 10 : Scenario editor, better emblem creator etc. is definitely needed. Agreed.

WHAT ELSE...?? Let me add some of my own suggestions
  • Monetary System : Match Fees, Sponsors, Ads opportnities etc. Money earned be spent on increasing Fan following, making Brand image, byuing custom Kits.
  • Dynamic BATs : Bats and equipments have their own life. Wear and tear causing player to buy new at regular intervals. Poor condition Bats increase chances of Poor shots and edges and finally break on the Field itself facing Fast Bowler. The player therefore must have few extras with him at any time.
  • FAN Following : Self explanatory. More sixes more fans more sponsors More Brand value hence more chance of getting selected in IPLs and Countys. Less sixes more criticism less fans poor Batter confidence.
  • New Modes for : Gully cricket with alternate rules like 'one tip one hand out, 3 times beaten is out etc'. If Gully environment can be created for stadium that will be awesome. Mix Team Mode with half Men and half Women player mode.
  • Presentation : More Animations, player models, Menu graphics, replays, commentaries etc. Why Ashes dont have replays for LBWs..?
  • Story Mode : Real Ashes match can be played in Story Mode with POV of both England and Australia.
  • Achievements and Unlockables : Complete some achievement and unlock some new player or hairstyle or Bat etc.
  • More detailed Kits with sponsor logos : For kits there is only 2 3 places where sponsor logos can be applied. Such styles must be built into the game and players can customize the fake logos with real png. This way it is accurate and easy. Otherwise moving the logo all over the Helmet distorts the image and takes much time to get it on the right place.

Gayan

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
some improvments for fielding.

1. Scrap the reaction fielding mini game.

Imo Slows down the game up too much having to move the left stick into a circle and press x.

Suggestion
    Instead I would like to see something like pulse fielding where if its a reaction catch/fielding play; immediately off the bat the live play with go into slow mo for a split second and either x, circle, square, triangle will pop up in the middle of the screen. During that split second you have to react and press the correct button that pops up on the screen. How long that split second is depends on the difficulty of the catch/stop. After that split second the play snaps back to real time and the catch is taken/ dropped, fielded/missfielded.

2. Not enough throwing options leading to odd moments in the field such as fielders throwing the ball to the bowler half way down the pitch.

Suggestion

Attacking throw: Id keep the throw to keeper (x) and throw to bowler (o) the same. However make it less automated if ur using these buttons its an attacking throw. If you are throwing in the blue u are throwing in the vicinity of the stumps regardless if the bowler/keeper is backing up. The batsmen running hud should also display if the keeper and bowler is behind the stumps as this can be a guide when deciding whether to try and go for a direct hit in the green.

General throw:
    A throw directly to the keeper/ bowler. Controls x or o + R1.

This can be useful in the infield if the keeper/ bowler is not backing up and u want to overrule your attacking throw, u can press R1 when loading up to throw directly to the keeper/bowler instead of at the stumps.

Bounce Throw:
    (modified attacking throw): x or o + L1. (only for throwing from the infield)

This can be useful if u want a easier pick up for the keeper/ bowler backing up by deliberately trying to bounce it rather then throwing on the full or if you are going for a direct hit you also have the option of throwing flatter and using bounce to hit the stumps.

Transition throw: play is dead batsmen not looking to run you are just moving the ball back to the bowler for the next delivery (only for use inside the circle or just outside the circle when play is dead). Press square.

This is useful as it will eliminate balloon throws to the keeper and the issue of fielders throwing the ball to the bowler half way down the pitch.
    For example if the batsmen hits the ball to short third man/square leg inside the circle and the batsmen aren't looking to run you can press square. keeper will come across to the side the fielder is on and the fielder with throw it flat into the gloves and the game with snap to the next delivery.

Another example would be if the ball is hit to point. Point will under arm it to cover and the game with snap to the next delivery. Or the ball is hit to midd off/mid on and you press square the fielder will hold onto the ball and the bowler will turn around and start walking back to their mark the game will snap to the next delivery.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

Good ideas although personally I like the circle game moments: there deffo needs to be more variations in throws and at least a sniff of genuine run outs

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Good ideas although personally I like the circle game moments: there deffo needs to be more variations in throws and at least a sniff of genuine run outs
I actually preferred codies real time catching system where you had to press button when colour was green etc. I personally didn’t like the artificial slowing down of the game for catching

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I actually preferred codies real time catching system where you had to press button when colour was green etc. I personally didn’t like the artificial slowing down of the game for catching
This is the same thing I feel as well.. It destroys the momentum and flow of the game which is the sole reason why I have moved to fully automatic fielding long time ago in Ashes..

D

Dutch

Yeah that was a good system for outfield catches...but reflex catches?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I'm a fully automatic fielding guy, mainly because of flaws and I don't find it as engaging as bowling and batting to bother with. I don't mind the mini-game for slip/keeper catches but when it started popping up, with no real consistency, just for grounded shots inside the circle I'd had enough of it.

Think I've said myself I'd like to see throwing for fielders improved, with different types of throw or being able to determine if you want to attempt a direct hit or a cautious return to the stumps. Maybe switching to first person view for fielding and being able to make those snaps decisions of whether or not to target the stumps would make it more interesting. Likewise for catching in the deep. Personally, I'm not remotely interested in having to move the fielders myself but if we were perhaps required to execute catches, pick ups and throws in real time it'd keep the flow of the game going. Maybe the fielder runs to intercept the ball and you push forward of the L-stick to pick up, get the timing wrong and it might go through your legs or you collect the ball but lose balance. Even throw in something like a slide pick up. With the ball in hand you choose a different type of throw using XYAB and the end using the D-pad (up or down).

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Yeah that was a good system for outfield catches...but reflex catches?
Yeah you needed good reflexes like irl but I guess that’s not everyone’s cup of tea
Maybe option for reflex catches to be automated and determined by stats?

saurav2204

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
some improvements needed while captaining the side in Career mode or normal mode

1. Team selection It is either should be after the toss or pitch condition should be known before match to select the team better.

2. Batting Order and declare Game should ask at the fall of every wicket who is coming in next(even during simulate mode) and innings should not be declared by itself. (my player left not out on 199 once because of declaration while skip to player mode).

3. Bowling spell AI should not change bowlers and fielders automatically(when pressing skip to player) or there should be an option to skip auto field and bowling changes.

4. Simulation or there should be an option to captain the side in simulation mode.

Users who are viewing this thread