Boxing Thread

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I remember BBC used to broadcast a bit of boxing back in the day but can't really recall what the build-up was like. I think David Haye's first loss to Carl Thompson was shown on BBC IIRC. Do you know if there's any reason why they stopped showing it?

HBO just announced the other day that they're dropping the sport after 45 years which is a massive shock as they have become the cornerstorne of live boxing coverage, which leaves a gap wide open though.
Eddie Hearn has opened up a new streaming outlet called DAZN (pronounced The Zone :p) and has been steadily adding foreign talent to his stable so can expect that to takeover in the coming years.
BBC stopped showing boxing like all other sports, couldn’t afford it :noway

Why did HBO drop it, did they say? Can see Eddie Hearn becoming the main promoter in boxing if not already ?

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
BBC stopped showing boxing like all other sports, couldn’t afford it :noway

Why did HBO drop it, did they say? Can see Eddie Hearn becoming the main promoter in boxing if not already ?
Don't think they've officially said why but it's probably because they've been overtaken by Showtime lately and started charging PPV for fights that they otherwise wouldn't have when they were at their peak, causing them to lose viewership. Also Top Rank decided to move to ESPN last year which dealt them a major blow. Shame really because they've given us so many iconic moments.

Yup he's coming close to being on a level with the likes of Bob Arum and Don King now I think. He's going to be controlling a significant portion of the sport soon.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Don't think they've officially said why but it's probably because they've been overtaken by Showtime lately and started charging PPV for fights that they otherwise wouldn't have when they were at their peak, causing them to lose viewership. Also Top Rank decided to move to ESPN last year which dealt them a major blow. Shame really because they've given us so many iconic moments.

Yup he's coming close to being on a level with the likes of Bob Arum and Don King now I think. He's going to be controlling a significant portion of the sport soon.
Like everything in life, money dictates everything. Never heard of Top Rank, are they major player ?

So Don King is still alive :p and promoting boxing. Who’s in his stable?

El Loco

ENG....
Like everything in life, money dictates everything. Never heard of Top Rank, are they major player ?

So Don King is still alive :p and promoting boxing. Who’s in his stable?
Yup they are. I think Bob Arum has been around even longer than Don King and they've been rivals for nearly half a century. The precursor to Top Rank was actually founded by Muhammad Ali.

King seems to be on the fringes nowadays. Last fighter I saw him promote was Bermane Stiverne, the guy who Wilder beat to get his world title.

El Loco

ENG....

Fury is carrying the promotion for this for sure :p

quickeyg

School Cricketer

Fury is carrying the promotion for this for sure :p

Looking forward to the heavyweight fight - Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury - December 1st (PPV)
It's going to be a great fight and the undercard is starting to look interesting.
Who you picking to win and how?
Tyson is proper entertaining, let me show you guys.

El Loco

ENG....
Looking forward to the heavyweight fight - Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury - December 1st (PPV)
It's going to be a great fight and the undercard is starting to look interesting.
Who you picking to win and how?
Tyson is proper entertaining, let me show you guys.
If Tyson is back to his best with his movement and ring generalship then I struggle to see Wilder landing much, stylistically Fury is all wrong for him. Although after the long lay off if he does lapse and Wilder manages to land his devastating right hook it will be interesting to see how Fury reacts, at heavyweight one punch can end it all and in a few of the recent fights Wilder has won he has been down on the scorecards before he has ended it so I wouldn't totally count him out.

Yup the undercard does look quite stacked they've done a pretty good job with it, looking forward to seeing Jarrett Hurd back in the ring off the back of his win against Erislandy Lara. Saw Luis Ortiz is on it too as well as HW prospect Joe Joyce.

quickeyg

School Cricketer
If Tyson is back to his best with his movement and ring generalship then I struggle to see Wilder landing much, stylistically Fury is all wrong for him. Although after the long lay off if he does lapse and Wilder manages to land his devastating right hook it will be interesting to see how Fury reacts, at heavyweight one punch can end it all and in a few of the recent fights Wilder has won he has been down on the scorecards before he has ended it so I wouldn't totally count him out.

Yup the undercard does look quite stacked they've done a pretty good job with it, looking forward to seeing Jarrett Hurd back in the ring off the back of his win against Erislandy Lara. Saw Luis Ortiz is on it too as well as HW prospect Joe Joyce.

Deontay Wilder is 6f7 with an 83 inch reach and Tyson Fury is 6f9 with an 85 inch reach, Tyson will have to utilise his skills like movement & head movement, he needs to neutralize Wilder's right hand - which could be difficult because Wilder throws at funny angles. (has a tendency to hit you behind the head) See the Bermane Stiverne fight. I'm gonna rewatch Deontay Wilders fights with Malik Scott and Gerald Washington & the 2 Bermane Stiverne fights aswell, I know Wilder doesn't like tall fighters, he seems a little intimidated by taller guys cause every time he faced off with Tyson, he wore lifts to make him the same height.

Here's a list of undercard fights - Jarrett Hurd vs Jason Welborn Luis Ortiz vs Travis Kauffman Anthony Yarde vs TBA - David Damore vs Marsellos Wilder - Joe Joyce vs Joe Hanks. I hope they show Chavez Jr and the Adonis Stevenson fights from the regular ShowTime broadcast for everyone to see - now that would be value for money.

As you can see from the picture Tyson has been putting in some good work & has been training with the brothers, which I think is ideal preparation for the December 1st fight. And can you spot who's in the second picture?

Attachments

• Fury1.jpg
    Fury1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Fury2.jpg
    Fury2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2

El Loco

ENG....
Deontay Wilder is 6f7 with an 83 inch reach and Tyson Fury is 6f9 with an 85 inch reach, Tyson will have to utilise his skills like movement & head movement, he needs to neutralize Wilder's right hand - which could be difficult because Wilder throws at funny angles. (has a tendency to hit you behind the head) See the Bermane Stiverne fight. I'm gonna rewatch Deontay Wilders fights with Malik Scott and Gerald Washington & the 2 Bermane Stiverne fights aswell, I know Wilder doesn't like tall fighters, he seems a little intimidated by taller guys cause every time he faced off with Tyson, he wore lifts to make him the same height.

Here's a list of undercard fights - Jarrett Hurd vs Jason Welborn Luis Ortiz vs Travis Kauffman Anthony Yarde vs TBA - David Damore vs Marsellos Wilder - Joe Joyce vs Joe Hanks. I hope they show Chavez Jr and the Adonis Stevenson fights from the regular ShowTime broadcast for everyone to see - now that would be value for money.

As you can see from the picture Tyson has been putting in some good work & has been training with the brothers, which I think is ideal preparation for the December 1st fight. And can you spot who's in the second picture?
His upper body movement is second to none, if the fight goes past the half way mark then I expect him to be able to time Wilder's shots by that point.
Lol I didn't know about the face-off thing will check it out :p

Gvozdyk hasn't really fought any big names at Light HW and has shown himself to be a bit chinny so I'd expect Stevenson, despite the fact he's getting on in years, to be the favourite for that one.

D

Deleted member 193590

50/50 fight this one,up until the klitschko fight I thought fury was a bum.I remember him getting knocked down by Cunningham and thinking this guy is terrible.
But against klitschko he was awesome.both fighters have great speed for such big men,but I think wilders power will win it in the end.
I'll go for a late knockout for wilder.

quickeyg

School Cricketer
December 1st is almost here - UK fans are you getting nervous?
Post your predictions for Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury fight.

All Access episode two | Wilder v Fury | Showtime Documentary

FAKES WILL BE EXPOSED' - TYSON FURY (UNCUT IN L.A) - ON WILDER, JOSHUA, HEARN, BELLEW, USYK, ROACH

'TYSON BELIEVED IN HIS OWN HEAD THAT HE WAS NEVER BOXING AGAIN' -PARIS FURY BRUTALLY HONEST (IN L.A)

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
December 1st is almost here - UK fans are you getting nervous?
Post your predictions for Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury fight.

All Access episode two | Wilder v Fury | Showtime Documentary

FAKES WILL BE EXPOSED' - TYSON FURY (UNCUT IN L.A) - ON WILDER, JOSHUA, HEARN, BELLEW, USYK, ROACH

'TYSON BELIEVED IN HIS OWN HEAD THAT HE WAS NEVER BOXING AGAIN' -PARIS FURY BRUTALLY HONEST (IN L.A)
The hype is building in the UK , actually tempted to pay the crappy box off pay per view fee to watch it as I am quite pumped for the fight. I want fury to win for sure !

quickeyg

School Cricketer
The hype is building in the UK , actually tempted to pay the crappy box off pay per view fee to watch it as I am quite pumped for the fight. I want fury to win for sure !

Yep tune in buy the pay per view. Set your alarm for 4:10am (GMT UK). Make sure you get some extra EXTRA food/drink for late Saturday night/early Sunday morning.

The press conference yesterday was EPIC.

Full Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury chaotic final press conference | Warning: contains bad language
(CHAOS!) DEONTAY WILDER & TYSON FURY ERUPT INTO BRAWL; SHIRTS COME OFF DURING HEATED ENCOUNTER

Users who are viewing this thread