T20X Discussion

BlaizFlare

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I'm not sure if you guys heard about the T20X, but, if you haven't, you can read about it if you'd like and talk about it,

The icon players (which are marquee players in most leagues) were David Miller, Kumar Sangakkara, Shahid Afridi, Andre Russell and Eoin Morgan. AB de Villiers was the brand ambassador (here's a Video explaining the T20X concept

The T20X was originally named the "UAE T20X", which was to rival the Big Bash League, starting on the same day as the BBL, the 19th of December, and end on 11th January. The thing about the 'T20X concept' is there are more Associates backing them up, and also sanctioned by ICC for 10 years, with nations such as Germany, Italy, Nigeria, Nambia. Japan, Canada, etc. (which would ideally be expat players for most), and also had pay higher than the BBL, an example being banned Aussie Steve Smith was to be paid upto 1M AED (which is like $300K I believe).

Squads were made up of 16 players, 1 global icon, 5 internationals, 4 Emerging & Junior/Domestic players, 3 ICC Associate players and 3 UAE national members.

However, yesterday it was announced it wasn't gonna commence, since Emirates Cricket Board was worried about the commercial viability of other tournaments being held in UAE and such (PSL, APL, IPL occasionally, and Pakistan's home games), and also since only 2 franchises were successfully sold and 3 were well advanced, but decided to be called off.

There is a 'glimmer of hope' though, Salman Sawar Butt, who was behind the PSL when it first started, but left after his contract wasn't renewed, is behind the T20X and also CEO of OPi Sports. Ex-PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf is also behind this concept. They said they are planning/have intentions of having the same exact T20x concept go under play, but in another nation (my guess would be Qatar, which was slated to hold PSL 1, Malaysia, Oman, or other Associate nations).

I do hope this could be held very soon, the concept really does leave itself from the other current clutter of T20 leagues personally, with the lower ranked Associates getting a chance to shine and hone their skills, what do you guys think? Should it happen ASAP, or still be left idled?

Users who are viewing this thread