Any Career Mode Bowling Advice?

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Hello all,

Since the last patch my career mode experience has deteriorated as wickets have become impossible for me. Does anyone have any advice or strategies they can shere if they've had success picking up wickets. I play as a right handed off-spinner, but any kind of bowler advice is welcome. Thanks all.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Hello all,

Since the last patch my career mode experience has deteriorated as wickets have become impossible for me. Does anyone have any advice or strategies they can shere if they've had success picking up wickets. I play as a right handed off-spinner, but any kind of bowler advice is welcome. Thanks all.
Off spin to a batsman of the same hand (OS to RHB, SLA to LHB) is probably the most difficult to bowl in game because of the AI tendency to play just about anything on the stumps to leg side. For that reason I always try to position my fielders in positions that can prevent run scoring. I'll usually have a square leg, mid on, short mid wicket, then at least one player on the boundary (somewhere between square and deep mid wicket), depending on the circumstances or format. I'll sometimes have a leg gully to prevent them flicking behind. Depending on the length I'm bowling I'll have a deep backward point or deep cover/deep extra cover. A fourth slip feels like the best position for a slip fielder.

Depending on what control system you use I'd take advantage of the options to vary flight, bounce and length. I use standard controls for spin, I've found most success bowling full or short balls. I'm not sure if the adjusted length modifiers work for standard controls but I use them anyway - good length a little fuller usually. I think the Bounce, Flight, Standard deliveries also modify the length so I'd be conscious of that. I will adjust bowling position depending on the amount of spin. If there is rough try and find the length to bowl into that and adjust the field accordingly. It really does make a difference to the ball movement after pitching.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Off spin to a batsman of the same hand (OS to RHB, SLA to LHB) is probably the most difficult to bowl in game because of the AI tendency to play just about anything on the stumps to leg side. For that reason I always try to position my fielders in positions that can prevent run scoring. I'll usually have a square leg, mid on, short mid wicket, then at least one player on the boundary (somewhere between square and deep mid wicket), depending on the circumstances or format. I'll sometimes have a leg gully to prevent them flicking behind. Depending on the length I'm bowling I'll have a deep backward point or deep cover/deep extra cover. A fourth slip feels like the best position for a slip fielder.

Depending on what control system you use I'd take advantage of the options to vary flight, bounce and length. I use standard controls for spin, I've found most success bowling full or short balls. I'm not sure if the adjusted length modifiers work for standard controls but I use them anyway - good length a little fuller usually. I think the Bounce, Flight, Standard deliveries also modify the length so I'd be conscious of that. I will adjust bowling position depending on the amount of spin. If there is rough try and find the length to bowl into that and adjust the field accordingly. It really does make a difference to the ball movement after pitching.
I tend to prevent run scoring as well. It seems, since the patch, edges in career mode have disappeared, even for spinners. This was already a problem for pacers and remains so. Almost all of my wickets come from other ways, mostly bowled outs. Even then, they're few and far between. It takes away from the experience. I think career mode might be a broken mode for now. Other modes are much more satisfying in gameplay.

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Thanks for the tips, but once again the patch has done more harm than good for me personally. Shelving this again as the only mode I play has become unplayable due to the absence of edges as a bowler.

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
I find the off/leg cutters to be really effective on a good length. Always have 2/3 slips and a gully too.

Users who are viewing this thread